Preliminary Final vs Panthers @ Accor Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our kicking game has been so medicore (or downright bad) this year that the Panthers are going to have a field day keeping us backed up at the wrong end of the field.

Conversely, even if we do start strong defensively and limit their metres, the Panthers have the ability to get out of trouble with a great kicking game, so we'll need to pressure their kickers all game if we're any chance of competing territory-wise.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He struggles to hit them cleanly but it might be a good game for Harry to step out from dummy half and boot the ball down field. Not sure I can handle the amount of times we're going to be passing it back 5m to the halves as our kick chase are already heading down field. Penrith are the last team we should want to give a 10m head start every set.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Couldn't agree more
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Open training Tuesday 430pm
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:44 am He struggles to hit them cleanly but it might be a good game for Harry to step out from dummy half and boot the ball down field. Not sure I can handle the amount of times we're going to be passing it back 5m to the halves as our kick chase are already heading down field. Penrith are the last team we should want to give a 10m head start every set.
Our kicking has been a problem all season, we really don’t have a long boot in the team, but you know what annoys me more than anything? Our touch finders on penalties.

I swear every other team in the competition make at least 40-50 metres and we are lucky to make 15, and then we slow down the set restart, then after the tap always shift the pill back to the middle of the park for tackle 1 and end up getting tackled in line with where we tapped the ball in the 1st place! We create no momentum and usually take no territorial advantage when we get a penalty, am I the only one that’s sees this? Is it a tactic used for a reason? Drives me crazy.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fox League and DT reporting that Cleary has been rushed to hospital with a finger injury sustained at training!

Lol.
1. Pretty sure he’ll be fine and play no matter what.
2 Even if they didn’t have Cleary, they would still be overwhelming favourites, and rightfully so.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our touch finders kill me every time. I think we are the only team where almost every kick the touch judge has to run back toward us with his flag.

We earn a penalty to piggy back us out of trouble, “No thanks, we like trouble”.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our touch finders are definitely average to say the least.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surely someone can kick further than Munster for them at a minimum. He's a very average length kicker
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

The whole short kick thing from the goal line has not been very succesful for some time. I'm not real sure why they continue with it as I think it's very rarely worked. I could be mistaken but I thought there was one kick in that went well over the half way line.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don’t get me started on the short drop outs :lol:

Our success ratio has to be the worst in the League. It seems pretty obvious that there are some parts of the game that aren’t practiced at training.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we work on them at training but what’s more painfully obvious is we don’t have any natural kickers in the team.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If that is the result of practice, I can’t imagine what it would look like just off the cuff…
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I'm trying to come up with ways we can win on Friday but it's a pretty bleak outlook. Still, all it takes is a bit of luck and to string together our best possible 80 minutes. Stranger thing s have happened - I just want to be competitive.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Everyone has known about the emphasis the Panthers place on using their back 5 to eat up metres and get their sets off to a red hot start. I can’t see how we stop it to be honest… :(