1st Semi Final vs Roosters @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Utha
Squall
Squall

Only a basic GA member, so used my AAN to get a seat in the alcohol free section - it was $20 (plus the usual fee).

If we win we'll be into our eighth preliminary final in nine seasons. If we lose it's straight sets like 2013, and a wasted season.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Billy Smith has now been ruled out for the Roosters with a fractured jaw, they are absolutely decimated with injury. Should make our job easier, but we show up with last weeks effort and we will be planning Mad Monday.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm just posted a video of Sua talking about him debut then ask him if his is ready to possibly play this week …I don’t think he will but I might cry if he does
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:46 pm Storm just posted a video of Sua talking about him debut then ask him if his is ready to possibly play this week …I don’t think he will but I might cry if he does
I saw that. My first thought was, “Maybe Craig has tapped him on the shoulder and told him he has a role Friday.”

But more likely is that he has just been told to be ready, you never know, etc.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't know why the club wouldn't post every player saying something similar. Why not waste some of the opposition coaching staff's time preparing for extra scenarios?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:20 pm
sallymay wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:46 pm Storm just posted a video of Sua talking about him debut then ask him if his is ready to possibly play this week …I don’t think he will but I might cry if he does
I saw that. My first thought was, “Maybe Craig has tapped him on the shoulder and told him he has a role Friday.”

But more likely is that he has just been told to be ready, you never know, etc.
Yeh all the reserve boys last week were wearing yellow shirts saying team 23 next man up so I think you’re right …would be cool if he did play
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Xavier seemed pretty confident in his media duties today that he might be right to go for Friday, would be a huge boost.
big_m
Squall
Squall

big Tepai needs to play
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What needs to happen is a thorough understanding of the rules and implications
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:14 pm
Bullucked wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:55 pm
Insomniac wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:07 pm Exactly - Welch is captain FFS... as if CB will drop him.
If a player was so hopelessly out of form and they just so happened to be a captain does this mean they are untouchable?
Agree, it’s this ridiculous attitude in a results based sport that can and probably will be the difference between winning and being also-rans.

Favourites, untouchables, whatever you want to call it is not a good system to implement, our club should always be performance based and underperforming players should always be at risk of a spell in reserves if they aren’t up to scratch.
If you've read my posts this year you would know that I completely agree with the sentiment that Welch needed to be dropped throughout the year (and still does), but my comment above was simply stating that there is no way CB will drop him, particularly seeing as though Welch has remained captain somehow.

I personally don't think a player who has been so out of form for most/all of the year should remain captain either - a captain should be leading by example & setting the standard, and Welch clearly hasn't done that this year.

The fact that Welch is still captain and has not been treated the same as Olam & Reimis would seem to indicate that CB does not agree with the majority of us here unfortunately.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Insomniac wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:20 am
Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:14 pm
Bullucked wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:55 pm

If a player was so hopelessly out of form and they just so happened to be a captain does this mean they are untouchable?
Agree, it’s this ridiculous attitude in a results based sport that can and probably will be the difference between winning and being also-rans.

Favourites, untouchables, whatever you want to call it is not a good system to implement, our club should always be performance based and underperforming players should always be at risk of a spell in reserves if they aren’t up to scratch.
If you've read my posts this year you would know that I completely agree with the sentiment that Welch needed to be dropped throughout the year (and still does), but my comment above was simply stating that there is no way CB will drop him, particularly seeing as though Welch has remained captain somehow.

I personally don't think a player who has been so out of form for most/all of the year should remain captain either - a captain should be leading by example & setting the standard, and Welch clearly hasn't done that this year.

The fact that Welch is still captain and has not been treated the same as Olam & Reimis would seem to indicate that CB does not agree with the majority of us here unfortunately.
In relation tothe unlikely situation where Welch was dropped, it brings up the question who would replace him . As far as I can see at the moment , the cupboard is pretty bare for props.

With Olam and Smith, I'm 50% with you on that. Olam has always beenrocks or diamonds and this year when he's played , the rocks completely outnumbered the diamonds especially after the Manly game .
Smith , on the other hand, I'm thinking there may be other factors at play.
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Team is in...
Olam and R. Smith in as expected...Moeroa listed in reserves, same with Sua

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -roosters/
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ashley Klein is our referee.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Backline needs for Sua obviously.

Bench is totally fine but I don't understand giving Garlick an actual role to end the season only to not play him in b2b finals games.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You get what you deserve