Round 27 - Rest and Blood players

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Weird game coming up. Given the outs it'll mean very little for what would normally be a blockbuster match (1st v 4th, minor premiership on the line etc), even weirder given the two sides will probably meet again next week at the same venue.
I'm liking us to take out the rest round cup, broncos have had a fairly easy draw and weren't exactly playing like competition front runners last week. There's also talk of up to 8 players not lining up for the horses this weekend, so we'd want to give it a proper shake, if only for the mental advantage it potentially brings come time for next week's final.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently we are resting 10 players

Nick Meaney
Marion Seve
Xavier Coates
Cameron Munster
Tui Kamikamica
Christian Welch
Trent Loiero
Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Harry Grant
Tom Eisenhuth

So I’m guessing
Aaron
Alec
Jayden
Sua
Jack
Kane
Cole
Joe
Chris

Will all play

I’m just so happy for the guys debuting be feel like the storm have really Ducked the falcons …they gave paps to them to get them into finals and now they are taking all their players away just to muck about in RD 27 …it’s just not fair
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Brisbane Broncos vs Melbourne Storm 7.50pm AEST at Suncorp Stadium

Broncos team: 1. Tristan Sailor 2. Corey Oates 3. Jesse Arthars 4. Delouise Hoeter 5. Jordan Pereira 6. Joshua Rogers 7. Jock Madden 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Tyson Smoothy 10. Corey Jensen 11. Brendan Piakura 12. Jordan Riki 13. Keenan Palasia 14. Blake Mozer 15. Cory Paix 16. Xavier Willison 17. Martin Taupau 18. Benjamin Te Kura 19. Israel Leota 20. Kurt Capewell 21. Kobe Hetherington 22. Selwyn Cobbo

Storm team: 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. William Warbrick 3. Justin Olam 4. Young Tonumaipea 5. Reimis Smith 6. Jayden Nikorima 7. Tyran Wishart 8. Tariq Sims 9. Bronson Garlick 10. Tepai Moeroa 11. Chris Lewis 12. Eliesa Katoa 13. Josh King 14. Sualauvi Faalogo 15. Alec MacDonald 16. Aaron Pene 17. Jack Howarth 18. Grant Anderson 19. Joe Chan 20. Keagan Russell-Smith 21. Cole Geyer 22. Tristan Powell
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Someone give me money so I can fly to QlD for the game
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nrl needs a bye between the regular season and the finals. Crazy line-ups for both sides
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wow do Broncs not want the minor premiership? Trying to avoid us week 1. Pathetic.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:40 pmI’m just so happy for the guys debuting be feel like the storm have really Ducked the falcons …they gave paps to them to get them into finals and now they are taking all their players away just to muck about in RD 27 …it’s just not fair
Disagree. If the Falcons weren't good enough to make the finals without the Storm's underperforming and/or surplus players (because we were finally getting healthy), then they should consider themselves lucky that they even made the finals with our assistance.

And what about the Falcons players that lost their spots late in the season because we were suddenly throwing Storm players their way - it gives those guys another chance to prove themselves and play finals.

QLD Cup players playing for NRL feeder teams know what the deal is, and this is definitely the smart play for the Storm with nothing really to play for, so I don't consider this mucking about.

The Broncos taking a gamble with the Minor Premiership on the line is a bit odd though.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What’s the plus side to winning this game? Losing ensures we can stay in camp at Brisbane, play a team we have a great record against at a ground we never lose at, or win and finish in the same position but have to travel to Penrith and play a team who has embarrassed us twice in the last few weeks?

We should treat this as a glorified training run and do everything possible to avoid winning the game. I know it’s not in the spirit of the game or whatever but who cares, lose at all costs.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

The warriors have also not fielded a very strong side and with a dolphins win we jump to 3rd and could end up playing Broncos anyway if we win. Gonna be a great weekend of footy
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:25 pm What’s the plus side to winning this game? Losing ensures we can stay in camp at Brisbane, play a team we have a great record against at a ground we never lose at, or win and finish in the same position but have to travel to Penrith and play a team who has embarrassed us twice in the last few weeks?

We should treat this as a glorified training run and do everything possible to avoid winning the game. I know it’s not in the spirit of the game or whatever but who cares, lose at all costs.
We're pretty much guaranteed to face Penrith sometime between next week and the grand final if we're going to win the premiership, may as well be while we have a second chance and they're missing luai.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Need Paps, Sua and Jack to shine so we have something to look forward to next season.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:34 pm Nrl needs a bye between the regular season and the finals. Crazy line-ups for both sides

It's a moot point.
If we had the bye round as the AFL does and there is nothing riding on the last regular season game the clubs will still rest players.
Last edited by Bullucked on Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm assuming Papenhuyzen will be captain, has anyone heard for sure?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Either Paps or Kingy is my guess
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It’s really not that weak of a side being trotted out, one could argue Paps is better than Meaney, Warbrick is a starter, Olam and Smith were our centre combo to start the year, Young has been a regular, King Katoa Tepai Garlick are all regulars of the 17, the guys that have come in are in form, did anyone see Wishart on the weekend? Looked like prime Thurston he was untouchable can’t believe how well he played for the Falcons, I actually give us a good chance as much as I want us to lose the game for the greater good.