2023 wish list

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

With 2022 consigned to the history books, let's not dwell on what could have been or the misfortunes of this year. Let's look to next year and focus in the positives that can come with it

My number 1 wish is for a real captain, a leader who stands up and leads from the front, who knows how to rally the troops and pick them up when they're down, who can help calm the boys when things are getting a bit crazy. It's a big ask, but hopefully we find someone to fill those big empty shoes left by Cam Smith. Jesse definitely didn't do the role of captain of the Melbourne Strom justice.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well, as long as he can actually make it through a full season and get back to his best form, Welch (with Hughes as VC) would be my pick.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Unrealistic as it is can we have one Payne Haas please?
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:26 pm Unrealistic as it is can we have one Payne Haas please?
He'd be awesome under Bellamy, but about the only way it'd work is with a Munster swap deal.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

My wish would be Props who can go forward.

A full back and prop who can stay in the field all season.

Centres who know how to defend.

At least a quality winger.

A game manager somewhere in the spine.

Somebody who can actually kick goals.

and referees that don't have an anti storm bias (whether intentional or subconscious) and refs equally.

Do I think wishes will be granted ........... naah!
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

All squad members to have a fit and healthy 2023.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:45 pm My wish would be Props who can go forward.

A full back and prop who can stay in the field all season.

Centres who know how to defend.

At least a quality winger.

A game manager somewhere in the spine.

Somebody who can actually kick goals.

and referees that don't have an anti storm bias (whether intentional or subconscious) and refs equally.

Do I think wishes will be granted ........... naah!
The first five are bang on the money
big_m
Squall
Squall

The main wish for me is another high quality middle. Look at our pack from the 2020 gf and we are a long way off that now which is why we get dominated early in a lot of games.

Even with Welch coming back i think we need another big man that can really bend the line.

If we get that, our pack could be very good. Say welch and new signing up front, sims and katoa on the edges, harry at 9 and big nelson at lock. Tui, Tepai, Loiero etc on bench.

The spine is arguably the best in the comp next year if paps stays fit, and with reimis returning the back line should look much more composed (and more solid defensively).

I agree that we need a real leader on the park. We have made so many silly unforced errors in recent games and i dont see anyone on the field trying to fix that.

Edit: my wish list also includes some better jerseys.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jesse not playing for Storm.

Tick.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Aggression please, rather than 1 man flying the flag we need a few to back him up, fight fire with fire and we will be better for it
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Refreshed forward pack. Hopefully, Craig gives Jordan Grant a decent run in first grade. Plus new recruits including Eli Katoa and Joe Chan. Fingers crossed Tepai Moeroa stays fit.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think we need to temper our expectations of Welch next year. Very few professional athletes ever return to their best after an injury such as his.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

"I think we need to temper our expectations of Welch next year. Very few professional athletes ever return to their best after an injury such as his"

Welch should be able to hold onto the ball. He might be able to run more than 50 meters a game. He will show pride in his purple jersey. He will definitely be a better captain.

Jesse seemed not to care about the club or being captain will they way he played most of the year. I have never seen Jesse drop the ball as often as he did this year, it was unacceptable from a first grade player. Did you notice the last play he had in the purple jersey last night, he dropped the ball. Sums up his year, hope the dolphins enjoy him next year because I will not miss him.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

An extremely tough pre-seaon and getting some mongrel instilled in the team would go a long way.
Craig also needs to find a way to get the team believing again, I don't know how or what Todd payten did, but to take a bottom four side with largely the same roster as was there last season to where they're at now is nothing short of massive. The belief in that side last night was huge, even in the dying seconds with a converted try standing in their way, they played like it was a certainty that they'd find the points.

At the moment, Storm has lost that belief, the heads go down, the cohesion falls apart...next season can be different, and I believe it will
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Oh, a massive wish I've missed. I wish all the best to those storm players who will be taking part in the world cup, and I wish even harder for none of them to pick up any injuries whilst representing their countries.