Storm v Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm_M_36 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:14 pm Was just listening to Ennis after the Manley Vs Eels match and he was talking about Cheese's report and spoke complete sense. He said cheese was simply a passenger in the tackle and would have done more damage if he was to let go of the tackle. I can't see Cheese even being sighted tomorrow or whenever they do the review.
After all the media fuss in the last week, I think he's gone. I don't think we will see him again for a couple of weeks.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It’s a shame for cheese, no intention to end up the way it looked. Tinos momentum dragged him into a bad position because Tino is so strong.

There’s some situations where the only way to avoid them is to literally not be there. Doesn’t matter about technique.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just listened to what Ennis was saying and he's spot on. I'm not even sure if it's an actual "hip drop" tackle but maybe the duty of care means he needs to be punished for Tino ending up in a bad spot?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Fine only for Smith.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It's getting a bit ridiculous tbh... league is a collision sport, played at high speed and intensity. Bad things are going to happen, end of story. Why are 'hip drops' suddenly a blight on the game a few weeks out from the finals despite being in the game for a couple of years now? Oh that's right, the nrl is overreacting to an injury.

Should we ban wighton for running at paps to hard? Seemed to be the excuse for why dale was banned. Do we say, sorry nas, you're too big, you can't play because you might hurt someone? Do we start suspending players because they tried to tackle someone, and in the process of stepping to avoid the tackle, the opposition player does their acl....after all, it's duty of care.....if no attempt to tackle was made, there was no need to step and no injury would have occurred.

Yes, thats hyperbole, but it's seriously concerning how arbitrarily the nrl is going about 'player welfare concerns '
The reality is, that vlandys and co are the problem, they've tried to speed up the game beyond its natural cadence in a bid to increase fatigue and induce a 'better spectacle'. Fatigue brings on lapses of judgement and errors, and that means tackles go wrong more often. Fatigue also makes players more prone to injury because muscles aren't working as they're trained to.
It's also given even more reason for teams to engage in cynical play and tactics as sides seek every possible opportunity to claw back half a second to catch their breath or set their defence.

At the end of the day, Smith didn't come in with a high swinging arm, he didn't put on a shoulder charge, he didn't spear tackle the bloke, he didn't manipulate or deliberately try and twist knees or ankles.... that wasn't foul play, it was an awkward tackle at worst.... it's just bobble heads making mountains out of molehills

Sorry that's a bit of a long winded rant, I'm just a bit over the media shitshow at the moment
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I just read this:

Triple M are reporting that the Storm fear a shoulder sublaxation for Jahrome Hughes, which could potentially be season ending.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

glennb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:03 pm I just read this:

Triple M are reporting that the Storm fear a shoulder sublaxation for Jahrome Hughes, which could potentially be season ending.
Nothing official anywhere yet, so all speculation at this point. We just have to wait and hope it's not too bad
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cheese got a fine
Rome out possibly 2/3 weeks will play with injections ….I’d say he won’t play for NZ and need surgery

Isn’t it nice when Cooper actually gets to play and gets a chance to play
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:29 pm Isn’t it nice when Cooper actually gets to play and gets a chance to play
Hallelujah Sallymay, don't need to look back too much to see I agree totally. Cooper's first up contact is good, he might not necessarily stop blokes but he does enough to slow them down. I reckon he has a good footy brain but doesn't get enough time or support / timing with those around him to show it.

How good was it to see our forwards actually going forward? Be a different task against a very different opposition this week though.