New captain

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Apparently our new captain or captains are to be announced today
Utha
Squall
Squall

It's J. Brom and Dale:

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... captaincy/

Solid choices.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Neither inspired choices imo.

Also odd to not have Paps in the leadership group.
Premiers
Squall
Squall

It’s like having Dumb and Dumber leading the club
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't understand the negativity here, they've been our vice captains for a while. Jesse has captained his country.

As for Papenhuyzen, who would you change out for him? They're all solid choices.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Said months ago I'd prefer to go younger since we're more than likely just looking for another one in a year or two.

Pretty sure Bromwich's record as NZ skipper isn't good so that means little to me.

Kaufusi and Kenny? Yea lol nothing needs to be said there for me.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kenny was captain of everything coming through and is obviously respected by the playing group by how they all speak of him. Not to mention, he's become a world class second rower despite being a middle forward through his under 18s to a couple of years ago.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well deserved.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Premiers wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm It’s like having Dumb and Dumber leading the club
Very harsh.

Both well deserved.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very happy with both captains

Very very excited for the future
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Poor choices for mine.
Not so much that they are respectable senior players, more so that I was scathing of JBrom’s output last year. He very nearly went through the whole season tryless and in my opinion a mostly average to poor year. He really looked like he was going through the motions at times. On 2020’s output alone, he wouldn’t be getting my nod. Finucane is a better choice, but a captain should ideally be an ever present on the field and not bench warming for a large part of any given game.

I think it’s a missed opportunity to not have Munster and Paps being co-captains in preference to Jesse and Dale.

Just my $0.02c worth.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:10 pm Kenny was captain of everything coming through and is obviously respected by the playing group by how they all speak of him. Not to mention, he's become a world class second rower despite being a middle forward through his under 18s to a couple of years ago.

We have vastly different opinions on what a world class player is but I do think being respected by the playing group matters.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Premiers wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:55 pm It’s like having Dumb and Dumber leading the club
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:41 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:10 pm Kenny was captain of everything coming through and is obviously respected by the playing group by how they all speak of him. Not to mention, he's become a world class second rower despite being a middle forward through his under 18s to a couple of years ago.

We have vastly different opinions on what a world class player is but I do think being respected by the playing group matters.
I so agree with the Kenny sentiment, Kenny and Dale for me. Being respected by the playing group is one thing, being respected by the refs is another important aspect. Munster needs a big dose of the chill pills and a lot of polish before he becomes captain, Paps needs a little more time.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

There is no love for Jessie here and I tell you, he deserves to be our captain. He is a former captain of New Zealand, a three time premiership player, he has been our best forward for ten years and has won our best and fairest 3 times in the times when Smith, Slater and Cronk ruled so clearly he does exactly what the coaches ask of him. Jessie brings the aggression and the team will feed off his work ethic.

Jessie will do us proud and he will lead our team along with Dale with courage and panache.