Mystery of the Missing Accountant

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

What is going on with Cameron Smith?
Why the wait?
Why the mystery?
Can he possibly start the season with just 3 weeks of pre-season behind him?
Is he holding out trying to negotiate a deal with the Storm for a different role rather than play?
Is he trying to negotiate a deal with another club e.g. Titans? No-one is saying anything at the Titans.
Is he getting advised by an agent or some other obscure individual trying to build a marketing event that will see him enter a new career?
Is he trying to negotiate a media deal?

I can not see the logic behind delaying any form of career announcement. Obviously the Storm know what is going on because no club is going to have this type of issue hanging over the heads of Grant, Smith and captaincy potentials.

What can be gained by anyone in this whole saga by waiting, waiting, waiting?
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Could make a great movie.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Or he just retired and doesn’t care what people think ...looks like storms moved on
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cameron Smith plays by Cameron Smith's set of rules on Cameron Smith's terms and conditions and no one else's. That's why he has been so successful and that is why we will always love him.

Matt Geyer believes the veteran rake might not even make a decision until a month into the season.

“I’ve got an inkling that if the Titans come out of the blocks in a pretty solid way, I’ve got a pretty tight feeling that he might want to be a part of that. I think he wants to be part of the Titans,” Geyer told Triple M’s The Rush Hour.

“I don’t think he will start. His fitness has all been around using ropes, his core strength is second to none, which gives him the advantage over everyone else.

At the moment, it is boring old preseason and Cameron Smith is one of the only topics that NRL commentators can talk about.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It was not Matt Geyer who said it. It was his fool of a brother Mark. This guy just loves the sound of his own voice and says whatever will get his name in the media. Matt and Cameron are very good friends and he would never say anything. But I agree Cameron Smith will do it the Cameron Smith way. Why not he has not said anything for months and everyone is still talking about him. If he announced what he was doing the media would have stopped and moved on. Secretly Cameron might be enjoying it.
But I do believe Melbourne Storm know what is happening because they have to prepare a team for the season. It would be to hard to have "if Smith plays we do this game plan" or if Smith does not play we do this game plan". They would have to be working on the seasons game plan. I also don't believe Cameron Smith would leave the club he played over 400 games hanging. He is not that type of person.
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

I have felt for a while now that he will play on with the Titans. No announcement to retire just makes me think there are things happening in the background and its all planned to be announced at some point soon. Storm would of known for months that he wasnt coming back to play with us

As good as last year was and the way he has finished with us on a premiership, it will always be such a shame we never got to properly farewell him with a final game at AAMI. It would of been huge and so deserved for what he did for our club

I know its a sport where you dont get too many one club players, and maybe its just accepted now that players move around so much, but someone like him should be a one club player so it will be disappointing for me if he plays on.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Like any good Accountant, I heard Cameron Smith was still counting his money after his best selling autobiography topped the Australian non fiction book sales list for 10 weeks in a row. for a guy that they claim no body likes, he sure can sell a lot of books.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Left field - could Cam have been reluctant to sign due to covid uncertainty?

Surely would have played on his mind.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think his family ais his main focus. He is just having such a good time with them and is miopic in doing one thing at a time that he is still enjoying giving back to them.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:51 am Left field - could Cam have been reluctant to sign due to covid uncertainty?

Surely would have played on his mind.
He did say in the grand final press conference last year he wouldn’t want to do another hub so I think he has retired
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another theory... Cam to 'retire' only for 2021 before returning in 2022 for a final swansong. Brandon Smith will be gone although Grant contracted till end of 2022
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cam is doing the daily school drop off this morning (something he couldn't do if he was still in Victoria) and loving it. That is Cameron's future.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e04b43e1c6

Ed Jackson
@edjacko
Solved. Forget the
@GCTitans

Cam Smith is signing for the mighty Mudgeeraba Redbacks. #attheweb #doneanddusted

As reported by NewsCorp’s Travis Meyn, Smith was seen kicking a footy around at Firth Park in Mudgeeraba as rumours of an 11th-hour deal with the Gold Coast Titans swelled in volume.

Despite the speculation, the Titans declared they have not had any contact with the Queenslander, according to the report.
Premiers
Squall
Squall

If Cameron signs to play for the Titans will it ruin his legacy here at the Storm in the same way that the traitor Cronk did?
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

First off Cooper Cronk isnt a traitor. He simply moved states because he fell in love. He gave many tremendous years of service to the Storm and was influential along with others, in making us the No 1 team in the country for players to want to come and play for. He toiled his sweat and blood for us, the supporters, and won 4 Grand Finals and gave us some magical memories that will live with true Melbourne Storm supporters for ever.

Secondly Cameron has spent almost 20 years at our Club and delivered us incredible treasured moments. What he does now is his business and any way, we could hardly have Cam, Harry and the Cheese in the same side so Cam is kind of doing us a favour by moving on, on the back of a great premiership as well.

Both Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith's last games for the Melbourne Storm were premiership winning games so it is always great to go out on top!