An Asterisk on 2016 Premiership.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Seeing that there's a storm related vacuum in my life until next season, I was pondering a legal situation that we as storm fans are familiar with. I know this concept will never get any traction but why doesn't Cronulla's premiership have an asterisk on it because of salary cap breaches.

My reasoning is (a). Yes, ON THE DAY, they were under the cap which would lead to the obvious conclusion that during the year they played teams whilst they were over the cap.

Which in turn means they possibly gained points then b. the precedent set by the NRL is to strip points from teams in breach of the cap so any points accumulated should be null and void.

And that leads to another question (c.) if point b is taken into account did they have enough points actually be in the finals with my suggestion that there is an asterisk on the 2016 premiership.

As I've mentioned, I know this will go nowhere but it's an interesting hypothetical.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It doesn't make sense to penalise teams retrospectively. I think that's the sentiment of the Storm's bid to have the 07 and 09 premierships restored. I hope the NRL and the clubs are able to improve their salary cap auditing process so that they don't have to wait until the end of the year to find out if teams were significantly over-spent throughout the season.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think the Sharks were deemed compliant with the cap for the whole 2016 season.... which in itself is a farce.

The solution to the salaray cap is allow concessions for players brought through your system, then it encourages clubs to develop you even more.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple I always found it very fishy that the NRL used the words "on Grand Final day". Did they cancel someone's contract the day before Grand final day?

They breached the cap in 2015 and 2017 but not in 2016 ( or on Grand Final day). Come on, that doesn't seem plausible to me.

The NRL (aka NSWRL) couldn't bring themselves to strip a Sydney club of their one and only premiership.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The fact that sells it to me that being salary cap compliant on the day is a farce:

- Many of the key players they brought over from other clubs had been signed during the non compliant years. I can guarantee one of Ben Barba, James Maloney, Chad Townsend or Michael Ennis who were signed in the years leading up to the premiership aren’t there (or another key player is squeezed out) if the Sharks were compliant during the whole period. Then we are likely saying 2016 is a Storm premiership.

I have no problem with the Storm being stripped if everybody receives the same punishment. If all the f wits in Sydney want us to stop complaining, treat everyone the same. Either strip the Sharks and give them a spoon or return our grand finals, minor premierships and take that god damn ugly wooden spoon off us
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Pole wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:45 am I think the Sharks were deemed compliant with the cap for the whole 2016 season.... which in itself is a farce.

The solution to the salaray cap is allow concessions for players brought through your system, then it encourages clubs to develop you even more.
Amen, at least we were retaining home grown absolute superstars. Not some overpaid chumps or poaching others.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Barba, Maloney, Fifita, Ennis, Prior, Lewis, Graham, Beale, Heighington, Tagataese all developed elsewhere plus Townsend went away and came back. Yep, they were well over on the day for sure.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We ran two sets of books to retain our players - so wrong. Clearly systematic cheating.

The Sharks ended up registering a third party company to organise third party deals for their “underpaid” players. Clearly systematic cheating.

You could make a fair argument that the Sharks situation is worse.

One day I look forward to the day when Cam is retired and on fox league or nine. He will bring these points up and we can see what staunch defence is argued by Ennis, Gallen and the Sydney club mafia.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The N(ewsouthtwales)RL felt was such a feelgood story for the poor downtrodden Sharks who hadn't won a trophy in 50 years; there was no way they were going to take it off them.
Same reason they got a slap on the hand with a wet lettuce leaf for the drug cheating.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:42 am
One day I look forward to the day when Cam is retired and on fox league or nine. He will bring these points up and we can see what staunch defence is argued by Ennis, Gallen and the Sydney club mafia.
I doubt theyd have him unless he tows the line with their narratives!
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Can easily be claimed that by them cheating the cap in 2015, it gave them the platform to win in 2016. Combine that with the slap on the wrist for being drug cheats - when a few players in that title winning squad should have been suspended - then yes, I think their title has a big cloud of doubt around it. But who cares...since then, we've won 2 minor premierships and 2 premierships.