Went to my first AFL game......

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

....the other week. Next time I'll stay home and drive nails through my scrotum.

Anyone who has ever said the game is much better live then on TV is a liar, blind or a lying blind person.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dont know why you botherd im 26 lived in melbourne for 26 years and have never been to an AFL game and never will

NRL for life
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Noa, just because you personally didn't like the game doesn't mean it's not a good spectacle.  I for one love my AFL and the atmosphere of a live game is as good (if not better at some games) than NRL.  I am neither blind nor a liar either!  :P

One thing I can say in AFL's defence is they at least pull consistent crowds of more than 10,000.  ;-)

Each to their own I say - and it is possible to enjoy more than one football code too. 
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Haha! Yeah each to their own. I can't sit down and watch a full game of AFL either, but I actually quite like playing the sport. Maybe cause I have no passion for any of the teams, dunno!
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I actually found it a entertaining when i actually went to the game rather then watching it on tv.

However maybe because i went to the Hawthorn v Carlton game earlier in the year that i found it so entertaining cause that was a great game.

Went to a Lions game last year, that was my first game and thought it was ok possibly made better that it was corporate seats with drinks all night  :D
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I thought this comment from K Hunt was priceless
While he bade farewell to the Broncos, it's likely to be the first of many trips to Etihad Stadium, with a number of AFL teams using the Melbourne venue.

But Hunt wasn't too excited about his future.

When asked what he thought about the AFL grand final between Geelong and St Kilda, he said: "I watched a bit but then I fell asleep."
So much for 'the great defection'  ;D

I never did manage to get excited about Aussie rules games,or soccer either to be fair.

To each his own  ;-)
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

I have been a member of the Western Bulldogs for most of my life, which is currently 25 years.

At the end of the day i go to support the club, whether the atmosphere is crap, or the team is struggling.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Due to my brother being involved with North Melbourne, I have been a Kangaroos member for the last two years. And whilst I hope they win, I really don't care at the end of the day. The game itself is so boring and so soft. It's a wonder it's even regarded as a contact sport. On TV it's boring, but live, it's so mind numbing, I actually drifted off.
Football is THE game, AFL is really just pure tripe.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Most of my friends are afl or soccer supporters  who now  also have memberships to the Storm as well, so I have to keep an open mind to other codes.

They know I am a diehard league supporter, but we all get on really well.
Ash13
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

AFL is getting softer and softer every year because it's run by a pack of fat arse,know nothing morons who are hellbent on ruining the game.Rant over!
We are the storm,and we're #1!
VIC
Squall
Squall

This comment is a cheap shot against the Storm.....and a true fan wouldn't say it:-

"One thing I can say in AFL's defence is they at least pull consistent crowds of more than 10,000."

There are obvious reasons why the Storm has an average home crowd of circa 12,000, and these are because:-

1. Storm is only 11 years young. Prior to this there was very little RL in Victoria. It takes time to grow the brand.....and even today there are still people that can't differentiate between the two rugby codes...
2. AFL has existed for 150+ years and is integrated into the Victorian culture.
3. Stadium? Has been of a 3rd world standard.......it's the worst stadium in the NRL
4. No media exposure through FTA TV showing games at decent times
5. Game scheduling is dictated by TV. The Storm being a one town team with it's supporter base living within a 100km radius makes it difficult for many fans to go to games during awkwardly scheduled games (mainly monday nites and to a lersser extent, friday nites).
6. Unlike Union and A-League soccer, NRL runs at the same time of the year as AFL - going head to head with Victoria's number 1 sport.

Get the picture? It's an evolving process, and with time the popularity of the brand will grow............
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

VIC wrote: This comment is a cheap shot against the Storm.....and a true fan wouldn't say it:-

"One thing I can say in AFL's defence is they at least pull consistent crowds of more than 10,000."

There are obvious reasons why the Storm has an average home crowd of circa 12,000, and these are because:-

1. Storm is only 11 years young. Prior to this there was very little RL in Victoria. It takes time to grow the brand.....and even today there are still people that can't differentiate between the two rugby codes...
2. AFL has existed for 150+ years and is integrated into the Victorian culture.
3. Stadium? Has been of a 3rd world standard.......it's the worst stadium in the NRL
4. No media exposure through FTA TV showing games at decent times
5. Game scheduling is dictated by TV. The Storm being a one town team with it's supporter base living within a 100km radius makes it difficult for many fans to go to games during awkwardly scheduled games (mainly monday nites and to a lersser extent, friday nites).
6. Unlike Union and A-League soccer, NRL runs at the same time of the year as AFL - going head to head with Victoria's number 1 sport.

Get the picture? It's an evolving process, and with time the popularity of the brand will grow............
Gee Vic are you really called Scott??  Please spare me the 'true fan' crap!!

I was actually having a dig at the NRL in general - if you think I'd take a cheap shot at Storm then come visit me in the Bai Stand any home game for a chat & I'm sure you'll soon change your small mind!!!

FFS I'm sooooo farkin sick of people on this forum taking pot shots at comments they don't agree with and pulling out the 'I'm a true supporter' rubbish.  Trust me, you can't begin to understand how much I know about Storm's struggle with crap stadiums, crowd figures and membership!!! 

Get the picture??  Mate, you should maybe look at some of my post history before you shoot your mouth off!
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Bish180b
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Michael :P wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 pm ....the other week. Next time I'll stay home and drive nails through my scrotum.

Anyone who has ever said the game is much better live then on TV is a liar, blind or a lying blind person.
In my opinion AFL is better live and NRL is better on tv.

Because in AFL you can see what is ahead and behind the play and how teams set up etc