Intercity rivalry

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

OK - Didn't want to derail the thread this came from,so let's have some erm ? robust discussion here  ;D
estormboy wrote:
The Eagle wrote: Not really it works like this

Top 17

The next 8 play either NSW/QLD cup

We're deep in negotiations to keep the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles
as our feeder team

8 Sharks
8 Bleak City Storm = 16 with 1 extra to be brought in locally
The Eagle ..... you couldn't possibly be calling Melbourne 'Bleak City' now could you ???.  As a NSW resident, I'm sure you'd agree with me that that title well and truly represents the state and it's finances :D
My take on it is that the weather is assumed to be better up North ? define 'better'
Bleak could also be a reference to the fashionable use of Black in Melbourne,(though other parts of the planet would consider that as 'stylish'  ;-)
Haven't been to W.A. or the top end yet,so can't comment on those Capitals.

I always found it odd that people from interstate,(mainly NSW),choose to define Melbourne as 'bleak'  ???
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
stormluvva
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

That's because Sydney people are consumed with jealousy and take ill informed pot shots at the fine state of Vic to boost their own sagging morale. With the infrastructure going to shit and the cost of living being so ridiculously high they really don't have much to be happy about.
If it wasn't for the harbour, what would they have to brag about? :lol:
Bring On 2011!
onlooker
Squall
Squall

ease up boys.

I'm from Sydney and i don't describe Melbourne as 'bleak'. We aren't all the stereotype and actually that stereotype doesn't really exist. Everytime i talk about Melbourne to another Sydney born and bread player Melbourne is always spoken highly of. Unless we are talking about under world crime but that is a different story all together. Melbourne (unlike Brisbane) is a fine place with a fine reputation.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Imagine a seaside town with the weather of London or
atleast how its portrade in movies,That is melbourne personified
every time ive actually been there

Furthermore Brisbane was based on a large town which is why
its such a shit to drive around,not a capital city but still a beautiful
place to be/live,ive done both and plan to move back to Sunshine Coast
at some stage
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am born and bred in Melbourne and I have lived in London over winter and I can tell you that Melbourne's weather is nothing like London. In London from above November to March it gets dark from about 3.30 in the afternoon. Even in the middle of winter the days only start to get dark about 5.30 p.m. in Melbourne. Also, it never SNOWS in Melbourneit does in London.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Have to agree with glennb re: the Melbourne / London comparison.
Having grown up in the north of England,(which is considered not as warm as 'down south') I can tell you that Londoners would consider an average winter day in Melbourne as warm n friendly :D
And let's not forget fogs that you can't breath in let alone see in.

I guess it's convenient to call Melbourne 'wet n gloomy' when the annual rainfall for both Melbourne & Sydney is around the same. I tried living in Brisbane but never got used to the torrential storms. rainfall percentages
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bourbon Rat wrote:Have to agree with glennb re: the Melbourne / London comparison.
Having grown up in the north of England,(which is considered not as warm as 'down south') I can tell you that Londoners would consider an average winter day in Melbourne as warm n friendly :D
And let's not forget fogs that you can't breath in let alone see in.

I guess it's convenient to call Melbourne 'wet n gloomy' when the annual rainfall for both Melbourne & Sydney is around the same. I tried living in Brisbane but never got used to the torrential storms. rainfall percentages
The only good time i had in melbourne i left an unfortunate peice of myself on a wire fence,at a swimming pool
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Have to say I have had some bloody good times in Sydney 1999 Melbourne won the Grand Final
2007 Melbourne won the grand final
2009 Melbourne won the grand final

And you know what they can say we didnt...but I was there and I felt the euphoria and I celebrated with the team and all the other Melbourne supporters that were there AND in 2011 I am going to do it again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh and I would just like to add..that at every one of those games it pissed down , it was bleak , but who gives a shit!!!!

Oh and I too grew up in the North of England and really you have no idea what the winters are like until you have experienced it,to compare them to Melbourne is absolute lunacy,but then what do you expect from people who don't know any better!!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

well i grew up in the hole called wagga, and only 4 hrs drive to sydney and melbourne and family living in both cities i have spent a lot of time in both, and i have to say apart from SOME parts of the harbour melbourne has it all over sydney. but to be honest gold coast has it all over melbourne sydney and brisbane (which i hate)
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We lived in QLD for a few years when I was younger and I have to say I hated every minute,I hated the weather..not much relief from the heat,I hated bugs...squillions of flying bugs you cant sit outside at night without being inundated by these nasties,They dont have footpaths you have to walk on the road in most parts...oh I could go on and on..suffice to say ,I was overjoyed when my parents decided to return to Melbourne ans I have never wanted to live any where else since!!!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

you hate qld weather and like it in melbourne? are you permanently drunk? i hate having sunny 18 degree days throughout winter :) !
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Some people don't 'enjoy' the Brisbane weather. I lived in Tennyson for about 6 months & worked in Indooroopilly - Then we moved to Slacks Creek. Driving to Indooroopilly & back each day was NOT fun.
Also never got used to the flooding rain :?

:lol: Mental pic of Rose battling Christmas beetles & Cane toads on the front verandah of a "Queenslander"
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

storming wrote:you hate qld weather and like it in melbourne? are you permanently drunk? i hate having sunny 18 degree days throughout winter :) !
Ah, you "southerners". :lol: Well the Gold Coast is southern from here - about 1150km south (that's about 3-4 hours drive time further than Melbourne to Sydney, about the same as Melbourne to Adelaide and half way back!)

18 and sunny in winter? How do you cope?
We're just west of Mackay and the July-August average daily max is 25. I think we had about 2 traumatic weeks last year when I had to sleep under a doona.

Love Melbourne, my favorite city (with the possible exception of London). Some of the best, cheapest restaurants in the world, great atmosphere, nightlife, shopping and the world's finest League team. I visit as often as I can.

But live there? After five years up here you couldn't drag me back for a Melbourne winter with a D11.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bourbon Rat wrote:Some people don't 'enjoy' the Brisbane weather. I lived in Tennyson for about 6 months & worked in Indooroopilly - Then we moved to Slacks Creek. Driving to Indooroopilly & back each day was NOT fun.
Also never got used to the flooding rain :?

:lol: Mental pic of Rose battling Christmas beetles & Cane toads on the front verandah of a "Queenslander"
Have you ever seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of doom,well the part where she is running around the camp site form all the nasties,gives you a good idea of me in QLD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: