Change of theme.... Again!

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

For the second time, I've changed the theme for StormLeague. Unfortunately, my hand has been forced AGAIN! Received a phone call from Trish, the new marketing manager from Storm, who has requested I remove the Storm logo from my website as I don't have permission.

I have now done this.

If individuals use the Storm logo, or "property" of the Storm, please note that the club may contact you requesting you to modify your images. I will not be requesting users change anything.

I firmly believe that we are a community of supporters who are here to support the club, and we wish to associate and promote the club in good faith. I hope the club sees that it is in good faith, that we are not profiting from their intellectual property, and that we are not confusing the consumer. This site has been, will always be, unofficial, not linked with the Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club, the Melbourne Storm Supporters Club, or any other organisation. It is a place for chatting.
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Here we go again. I remember this happening a couple of
years back on another site and do you think it was ever policed?

And are they gonna make sure every other site out there does
the same as you've been asked to do?

Geez... Storm need all the help they can get to promote the club.
What is the world coming to? :roll:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:For the second time, I've changed the theme for StormLeague. Unfortunately, my hand has been forced AGAIN! Received a phone call from Trish, the new marketing manager from Storm, who has requested I remove the Storm logo from my website as I don't have permission.

I have now done this.

If individuals use the Storm logo, or "property" of the Storm, please note that the club may contact you requesting you to modify your images. I will not be requesting users change anything.

I firmly believe that we are a community of supporters who are here to support the club, and we wish to associate and promote the club in good faith. I hope the club sees that it is in good faith, that we are not profiting from their intellectual property, and that we are not confusing the consumer. This site has been, will always be, unofficial, not linked with the Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club, the Melbourne Storm Supporters Club, or any other organisation. It is a place for chatting.
What the hell?!? Are they so threatened by the professionalism of your site Buzz?!? The Storm and the MSSC could learn a hell of a lot from you in terms of supporting the club we all love!!!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

This is what I anticipated when I saw the blue theme Buzz put up along with the Melbourne Storm logo on the banner and why I came up with the logo of our own which you now see on top of the pages. I fully understand the stance the club is taking as a logo is intelectual property and they have to protect it as who knows what anyone may be doing with the logo. We all here have positive intentions but anyone can use the logo without permission and use it to misguide people to thinking they represent the club. Or, use it in good faith but inadvertently creating a misconception among members of the public that the person or persons using the logo is a representative of the club.

We can promote the hell out of Melbourne Storm without the use of their logo and in my opinion, it actually invokes creativity among us fans to produce something that represents our support of the club.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I understand Storm's desire to retain control of their logo. All power to them! I expect it won't be the last time they contact me regarding images on this website though.

Trish also mentioned that they wish to streamline Storm's presence on the internet, and I believe they have asked the MSSC to give up their online presence. She mentioned the Storm are looking at adding a chat site to their website. Streamlining only raises concerns for me!

I must say that when it comes to ownership of imagery, Storm certainly haven't sought permission from me every time they use *that* photo.

I am a little angry over the phone call - a lot coming from the "streamlining" comments. I think we're meeting sometime next week to discuss the future.

Oh - and huge thanks to you Thunderstruck for coming up with the logo! This should be the start of some more changes over the next few months.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hailstorm wrote:And are they gonna make sure every other site out there does
the same as you've been asked to do?
They will if they find out. I imagine this means no user icons using club logos. This particular issue actually happened on a much larger scale a couple of years ago when the Major League Baseball issued a warning to all known fan sites of MLB's baseball teams, that they were required to remove all logos and other intellectual property belonging to those teams to avoid litigation or something.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:I must say that when it comes to ownership of imagery, Storm certainly haven't sought permission from me every time they use *that* photo.
You talking about the one from Colonial with the flag? :lol: you can take it up with the club you know. AFAIK, nobody is actually allowed to take your photograph and publish it without your permission apart from in exceptional circumstances. The club on the other hand, may have a condition at club events that by participating, you give up your rights to published images of yourself.

Is there anyone knowledgeable on this issue? I'm starting to feel like I'm talking like a lawyer. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:Trish also mentioned that they wish to streamline Storm's presence on the internet, and I believe they have asked the MSSC to give up their online presence. She mentioned the Storm are looking at adding a chat site to their website. Streamlining only raises concerns for me!
A couple of things, can you give us more info on this Trish and why they are giving you a hard time for the use of the Storm logo. The site does/did say clearly that it is an unofficial site dedicated to supporters of the Melbourne Storm, so I can't see much chance of a misunderstanding occuring.

As for the Storm website having a chat site they would need to get someone that can actually design a decent website. As I understand it the MSSC site started due to the completely inadequate and unprofessional site that Storm had. And that this site originated due to the inadequate site that the Storm and the MSSC had. And good on Buzz, and all else, for designing and contributing to this site. It is awesome in comparison to the "official" Storm and MSSC sites.

Didn't the Storm site used to have an "official" forum which was shut down due to flaming and slander that occurred? And the MSSC forum died a few deaths due to some peanut brain, amongst others, taking things way too seriously.

Given that the Storm logo isn't "allowed" to be used on this site I guess the merchandise thread has been purged as it has images of "official" Storm merchandise. :roll:

Bloody bunch of fascists. That's what I think. It seriously pisses me off when people that are doing their utmost to promote and support their team are shat on by the very club they are promoting and supporting!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

you don't get it do you? it's about the protection of intelectual property, not just about misuse of the logo or misrepresentation. the use of it was apparently done without permission and as you know, using someone else's property without permission is considered stealing even if it's for a noble purpose. the logo belongs to them and they have the right to choose who can or cannot use the logo. we've never used the Storm logo as our own for the forum apart from that short period so i don't see why we should use it anyway.

rugby fever gave us permission to show the pictures of illustrated reebok merchandise on that thread. however, they may or may not have had permission from the club and from reebok to let other parties know about it before the actual release of the products. if they don't, the club and/or reebok may choose to do something about it.

the storm never had an official message board as far as i'm aware, its all been mssc, the club site just had a link to it. this site started because the mssc forum was breaking down due to flaws in the software and the admins there never bothered to upgrade the software which would've fixed the problems.
Rabble_1
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thunderstruck wrote: the storm never had an official message board as far as i'm aware, its all been mssc, the club site just had a link to it. this site started because the mssc forum was breaking down due to flaws in the software and the admins there never bothered to upgrade the software which would've fixed the problems.

Most people on the MSSC board have full-time jobs, so in between working and looking after other areas in the MSSC there wasn't enough time to fully commit to doing the website. Maybe if people would stop complaining about what the MSSC does and doesn't do, they should consider get off their @$$ and volunteer to help out where possible.
If ants are such busy workers,
how come they find time to go to all the picnics?
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

The point is moot, the MSSC website and the forum are now shutdown and as per Buzz's info, the club asked MSSC to shut it down. The last incarnation of the MSSC site was, IMO very well done and full of information. I truly appreciate the complete historical listing of every Storm game since 1998, something the club's website never had. It's just too bad the forum there became neglected, it was great while it lasted. I would've helped if I knew how to do what was needed to be done, as I enjoyed being there, even now, I know tragically little about web coding so I would've been of no help at all.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Is the simple answer to just ask for permission. :wink:

The second answer may be to eliminate all offical logos. No big deal really.
:oops:
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Rabble_1 wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote: the storm never had an official message board as far as i'm aware, its all been mssc, the club site just had a link to it. this site started because the mssc forum was breaking down due to flaws in the software and the admins there never bothered to upgrade the software which would've fixed the problems.
Most people on the MSSC board have full-time jobs, so in between working and looking after other areas in the MSSC there wasn't enough time to fully commit to doing the website. Maybe if people would stop complaining about what the MSSC does and doesn't do, they should consider get off their @$$ and volunteer to help out where possible.
I agree with one exception.

Many times many members don't know there is a shortage of skill till it is to late.

An example being was the first banner for the year we had 4 people attend and we had to finish it on a Sunday (game day) and transport it to the ground. Many members upon hearing this decided to help and we got heaps the next week.

Maybe be should start a skilled section so before a crisis happens we have a "DataBase" of skilled people to call upon.

For example:
U.Mike:
Pretty handy with a roll of tape :wink: avalable after hours post mid March.
Very competant in writing scorce code in: C, VB and other machine languages.
Have resonable knowledge of HTML.
Also have learn't to turn the Giant storm air man on after a try.
:lol: :lol:
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

same thing happen on leaguetalk the clubs logos had to be removed due to not having permission from the NRL which really sucks....i agree tho about the storm logo ...we should be able to promote support our team and use the logo...it isnt like anyone is making a profit out this site are they?

btw :it looks pretty damn good good job buzz{and i think he mentioned thunderstruck?}good job fellas.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

KINGY wrote:btw :it looks pretty damn good good job buzz{and i think he mentioned thunderstruck?}good job fellas.
Thunderstruck wrote:This is what I anticipated when I saw the blue theme Buzz put up along with the Melbourne Storm logo on the banner and why I came up with the logo of our own which you now see on top of the pages
No one remembers me :cry: