Change of theme.... Again!

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

KINGY wrote:same thing happen on leaguetalk the clubs logos had to be removed due to not having permission from the NRL which really sucks....i agree tho about the storm logo ...we should be able to promote support our team and use the logo...
if we get permission, yes. otherwise,
Thunderstruck wrote:it's about the protection of intelectual property, not just about misuse of the logo or misrepresentation. the use of it was apparently done without permission and as you know, using someone else's property without permission is considered stealing even if it's for a noble purpose. the logo belongs to them and they have the right to choose who can or cannot use the logo.
I'd just like to add though, while it may be the right thing to do by law, it's not necessarily the right thing to do by the fans. Ask any pissed off MLB fan site owners.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:you don't get it do you? it's about the protection of intelectual property, not just about misuse of the logo or misrepresentation. the use of it was apparently done without permission and as you know, using someone else's property without permission is considered stealing even if it's for a noble purpose. the logo belongs to them and they have the right to choose who can or cannot use the logo. we've never used the Storm logo as our own for the forum apart from that short period so i don't see why we should use it anyway.
Does this then mean that everyone who has a Storm logo tattooed on their body must now have them removed?

I do get it Thunderstruck, but I think the action the Storm took in this instance was over the top and I stand by that view point. :evil:

As for the MSSC forum, when the problem was pointed out to me I actually gave a fair bit of consideration to helping out. One problem though is that I have no knowledge of webpage design. Well, not no knowledge, I know enough to do an extremely basic page.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Surandy wrote:Does this then mean that everyone who has a Storm logo tattooed on their body must now have them removed?
I don't imagine that will be the case :lol: but it does call into question how far an organization can enforce their rights. As I said before,
Thunderstruck wrote:it may be the right thing to do by law, it's not necessarily the right thing to do by the fans.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeh..true , but i reckon the rule/law should be aslong as it isnt being used for profit ..there is absolutly no harm in us having a logo at the top of the page...

wouldnt this law thing also apply with the clubs name? not being able to use the clubs name... :?
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

nah, that's just ridiculous, how are we gonna refer to them then? the professional rugby league club from melbourne? seriously, the name itself is not an issue. it becomes an issue when the name is used in some capacity such as website name or address, hence, stormleague.com is fine but melbournestormleague.com is not.

They only go after images such as logos and photos as far as I'm aware. You won't be allowed to post photos of any kind taken by people other than you unless you have permission and attribute credit, especially, in this case, game photos.
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Buzz wrote: If individuals use the Storm logo, or "property" of the Storm, please note that the club may contact you requesting you to modify your images. I will not be requesting users change anything.
:roll: Going down this path has a way of backlashing on the club !!
How many "friendly supporter banners" at games,normally have Storm logos :(
Guess I'll save myself the trouble & not make any this year :(
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

PD wrote:
Buzz wrote: If individuals use the Storm logo, or "property" of the Storm, please note that the club may contact you requesting you to modify your images. I will not be requesting users change anything.
:roll: Going down this path has a way of backlashing on the club !!
How many "friendly supporter banners" at games,normally have Storm logos :(
Guess I'll save myself the trouble & not make any this year :(

Dose that go for the Players run through banner as well?
:?:
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

On a positive note, I LOVE the new scheme. Very well done Buzz and TS.

Can I upload an avatar? If so, how?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Well, when it works, click on profile near the top of any page and scroll right down to the bottom. I just tried to change mine (link to off site avatar) and it disappeared instead. Both old and new avatars are gone.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Sorry about the Avatar uploading! Forgot to change the permissions on the upload directory with the server change. This has now been fixed!

Been away for a few days - did the wonderful Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb (spectacular) and The Lion King (also spectacular!).
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Buzz wrote:I understand Storm's desire to retain control of their logo. All power to them! I expect it won't be the last time they contact me regarding images on this website though.

Trish also mentioned that they wish to streamline Storm's presence on the internet, and I believe they have asked the MSSC to give up their online presence. She mentioned the Storm are looking at adding a chat site to their website. Streamlining only raises concerns for me!

I must say that when it comes to ownership of imagery, Storm certainly haven't sought permission from me every time they use *that* photo.

I am a little angry over the phone call - a lot coming from the "streamlining" comments. I think we're meeting sometime next week to discuss the future.
Oh - and huge thanks to you Thunderstruck for coming up with the logo! This should be the start of some more changes over the next few months.
How did this meeting Go buzz. ??? ? ? ? ?
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Hasn't happened yet. Work got busy. I will be in at the club on Wednesday for another matter, but will try to find out info then.