The Browser Wars Begin!

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

For those that remember when Internet Explorer was a piece of junk, you will be able to remember when you could view the internet the way you wanted it! Free of pop-ups, free of malicious websites downloading damaging programs, and best of all - FREE!

Well rejoice all ye faithful, because the New World Order has begun. Mozilla FireFox has finally reached 1.0 - meaning it's quick, fast, small, and MUCHOS BETTERER than Internet Explorer. It has all you've been looking for - tabbed browsing, download manager, speed, stability and all the features you normally expect in a top line browser.

So enough of me spruiking - go on - DOWNLOAD it! It's only 4.5MB. And it's available in Windows, Mac and Linux flavours (including 17 different languages!).

Visit Mozilla: FireFox
Download: All Systems
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

firefox IS AWESOME....ive been using it for like 2-3 weeks now...no pop ups no crappy spyware..and plenty plenty fast....if you don got it...you do not deserve to be walking this earth....
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

It is like Opera?
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I think it's better. First of all - it's free. Opera has a free version which is supported by ads.

I believe it's more standards compliant, and easier to use. It's also open-source, which means there are literally thousands of people that contribute, and squash bugs.
PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

AAS wrote:It is like Opera?
:shock: At 1st go it would appear to be just like Opera .
Got it download & installed - Went to a card site I subscribe too http://www.jacquielawson.com/ - Won't work - Needs additional plugin,(Macromedia) Funny coz I have Macromedia already - Downloaded the plugin anyway - Tried to continue with the card site - Mozilla Fire fox has encountered a problem & must close down _ Blah - Blah - Blah

Like I said...................Just like Opera

I'll reserve final judgement till I've played with it over the weekend.
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Interesting... works for me... Maybe just needed to restart the browser after the plugin install. The reason you have to install plugins differently to IE is actually a good thing. IE's method is full of security holes, this preferred method closes most of those. Don't give up. :)

It's important to remember that there are some websites out there that are coded terribly, pathetically even. This is brought about by laziness inspired by IE ("we don't care how bad you code a webpage, we'll still show something"). Unfortuantely this is only something that can be fixed by having webusers using something other than IE, and complaining to the sites when they don't work. (Not saying your site is one of those!) :)
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

*now back to moira*...firefox is great...i have had to d/l a few plug ins but as buzz said it works for me when i do d/l ....BUT sometimes...i do get firefox...just freezing...but then 20 secs later works again..its only happend thrice..but other then that its perfect...

PD
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Buzz wrote:Interesting... works for me... Maybe just needed to restart the browser after the plugin install.
:?: Works for me too now.
Like I said I'll have a serious play with it at the weekend - I don't use the net,(or a PC even),at work & I rarely do any 'gaming',so I pack on net time over weekends,(average 100hrs a month :) )

BTW.........How did you like the card site ?
"We are the puppets and fate the puppeteer
This is not a metaphor, but a truth sincere
On this stage, fate for sometime our moves steer
Into the chest of non-existence, one by one disappear.
"

[i]Omar Khayyam[/i]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

It looks good. Not a fan of e-cards myself tho... prefer to watch a bit of Strong-Bad when I remember (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html). Look for the one called Dragon - most amusing!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Been using Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox since 0.8 and i'm ecstatic that it finally reached 1.0. It's about as close to a perfect browser as can get. Now, to wait till the pre 1.0 extensions that I use get updated. I ditched IE three years ago and Safari has been relegated to secondary since Firefox hit 0.9. Safari's neat and awesome but Firefox blows any other browser out of the park.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
stormdolls
Squall
Squall

Would love to try "Firefox",but if anything go's wrong being technical computer illiterate we would be St*****.
Us. :dark1:
Honi Soit Qui Mal-y Pense
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

nothign will go wrong all you gotta do is press download..:) and you cant be more "technical computer illiterate" then i am...

TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:Been using Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox since 0.8 and i'm ecstatic that it finally reached 1.0. It's about as close to a perfect browser as can get. Now, to wait till the pre 1.0 extensions that I use get updated. I ditched IE three years ago and Safari has been relegated to secondary since Firefox hit 0.9. Safari's neat and awesome but Firefox blows any other browser out of the park.
Am currently using 0.9.1. and very happy with it.
Is V 1 much better?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Don't remember what 0.9.1 was like and I was using 0.9.3 little under a month ago. D'oh!

I don't have 0.9 anymore so I can't do any comparison but for the moment, many extensions need to be updated for 1.0. Half of the ones I use are still disabled.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thunderstruck wrote:.....but for the moment, many extensions need to be updated for 1.0. Half of the ones I use are still disabled.
Perhaps I'll wait a while then.

It would be a bit like getting a new car when your old one goes fine, only....

...but wait - we can't put the stereo in 'til next week, and the air con's a fortnight off, and new comfier seats are a month away..... :shock:
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately