Lammingtons - to jam or not to jam?

Anything can go here - meet new people, post jokes - whatever! BYO bibs though!

What filling should a lammingtons have?

Jam
46%
Cream
23%
Nothing
31%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 13
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Okay - point of contention. I've always believed that lammingtons should have filling, and at the very least be a jam filling. Now - without a Wikipedia page on lammingtons, it falls to us good citizens to determine what is the correct format of a lammington?

So - coming up to ANZAC day - what is more Australian that a jam-filled lammington! :D
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

God you're quick Buzz!!
You know my thoughts on this - Lamingtons traditionally have NO filling at all!!!!!!!!!!  It's a fact!!!!!!!  Just ask my high school home ec teacher!!!  :P

Also, I'm sure if we contact the CWA (Country Womens Association) they would back me on this  :P :P :P :lol:

Now the 'new fangled' lammies have fillings but they're not 'real' so there!!  ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I can see you and I having a lammington stand-off on the Bai Stand this avo. I'm making a special visit to the bakery, and picking up some fresh made jam filled lammos and we'll have a taste off. Make sure you bring plenty of drinking stuff - cause a lammo with no filling is like eating hand fulls of sand! You need something to wash it down! ;)
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Please NO JAM!!!!!!

But you can fill it with lots and lots of fresh whipped cream YUMMO!!!  (none of that mock cream shit that Coles sell  :x )
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I don't care about taste!!  Well I do but that's not the point here  :P

The fact is that the original Lamington has no jam in it!!  They couldn't afford jam in those days  ;-)

Point in fact, note the bolded text :-

Lamingtons
Small squares of plain cake, dipped in melted chocolate and sugar and coated in desiccated coconut. Said to have been named after Baron Lamington (see below), a popular governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901.

SPONGE CAKE
3 eggs
1/2 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup cornflour
15g (1/2oz) butter
3 tablespoons hot water

Beat eggs until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar. Continue beating until sugar completely dissolved.
Fold in sifted SR flour and cornflour, then combined water and butter.
Pour mixture into prepared lamington tins 18cm x 28cm (7in x 11in).
Bake in moderate oven approximately 30 mins.
Let cake stand in pan for 5 min before turning out onto wire rack.

CHOCOLATE ICING
3 cups desiccated coconut
500g (1lb) icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
(extra cocoa can be added, according to taste)
15g (1/2oz) butter
1/2 cup milk

Sift icing sugar and cocoa into heatproof bowl.
Stir in butter and milk.
Stir over a pan of hot water until icing is smooth and glossy.
Trim brown top and sides from cake.
Cut into 16 even pieces.
Holding each piece on a fork, dip each cake into icing.
Hold over bowl a few minutes to drain off excess chocolate.
Toss in coconut or sprinkle to coat.
Place on oven tray to set.

(Cake is easier to handle if made the day before.
Sponge cake or butter cake may be used.
May be filled with jam and cream.)

BARON LAMINGTON
Rt Hon Charles Wallace Alexander Napier Cochrane Baillie, Baron Lamington, GCMG, Governor of Queensland from 9 April 1896 to 19 December 1901.
Whilst the origin of the name for the lamington cake cannot be accurately established, there are several theories. One of these theories is that it was originally the slang term for the homburg hat, worn by Baron Lamington, and these cakes were named for him.
Another theory is that they were named after Lady Lamington, the wife of the Governor.
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

ROFL Tigger.  Here you are advocating a "no filling" lamington and yet the very recipe you supply (which you put in bold LOL) says "May be filled with jam and/or cream"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

I think she changed the wording - it should have read "SHOULD be filled with jam or cream"
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

No it says cleary MAY - now the top line of explanation reads - Small squares of plain cake, dipped in melted chocolate and sugar and coated in desiccated coconut - that's the original concept!

I'm right Buzz - admit it!!!  :P
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

That may have been the original concept, but if the original concept was always a good thing - we'd still be driving electric vehicles!

No - the jam or cream filling is an improvement. That's what my contention is - a lammington SHOULD have a filling, preferably jam!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Well that electric vehicle is interesting but hahaha we're heading back to that sort of powered transportation as earth friendly now yeah??  So the original concept seemed to be the best option!!!  Nyah Nyah Nyah!!!  :P :P :P :P :P :P

I stand by my statement that the original lamington is the best and the johnny come lately's are mere pretenders!  Gotta say tho that I do like cream filled lammies but that don't mean they're the proper ones  :P
Plus I mostly dislike jam anyway  :lol:
tuesday
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I used to be a baker and i asked that same question to my boss and he said that it was ...............JAM

yes jam was the original they they started to make them without jam for people like tigger lol
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Not true!!!  Lies, lies I tells ya!!!  My point is not which tastes better - it's that the original ones didn't have jam in em!!!

I don't give a toss who likes what  :P

Don't matter to me - I'm going to have the 'real' ones today and Anzac Bikkies too!!!!

Next thing you guys will be trying to tell me Anzac bikkies don't have oats or golden syrup in em - sheesh!  :roll:
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

tuesday wrote: I used to be a baker and i asked that same question to my boss and he said that it was ...............JAM

yes jam was the original they they started to make them without jam for people like tigger lol
BWAHAHAHAHAHAA  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

jellyhead wrote:
tuesday wrote: I used to be a baker and i asked that same question to my boss and he said that it was ...............JAM

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I know who 'tuesday' is and they're only saying that to diss me  ;-)

Cheeky bugga!!!  :P
tuesday
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Tigger wrote:
jellyhead wrote:

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I know who 'tuesday' is and they're only saying that to diss me  ;-)

Cheeky bugga!!!  :P
Well Yes and No but it is true!
I'll be hiding behind someone all day today!