Word Cup anyone?

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Really surprised no one has started a thread about this yet, surely some (if not most) people here will be (somewhat) following the football (soccer). After all it is the only real world cup for any sport!

Not sure how Australia will go, if they manage to beat Germany in their first match they will surely go through, if they lose (as expected) there's still a chance, but back to back wins may be a big ask. If they do get past the group stage, i hope they play England in the next round - imo it'd be their ticket to one step further than last campaign.

For mine though, Argentina will win the cup.

Thoughts? Predictions? Discuss.

KHoI
Storm 4 Life~
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

World cup off to a great start with an exciting match between South Africa V Mexico that ended 1-1...Could have seen alot more goals too.

Anyway, as for our chances well everyday I wake up my opinion changes. We are going to have to play really well, and have a little but of luck to make it through, but hey it's not impossible. A draw against Germany would be a gem to take into the Ghana match, which is vital to collect all three points in. I will happily regularly post in this thread as I am just as much into football than I am League!

Pulling the all nighter tonight, France V Uruguay in a couple of hours :D
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Had to get up for work thismorning, so no chance of staying up for the France v Uruguay match (ended as 0-0). Would have thought France to take 3 points there, looking at the team selection and sub times gave me a few surprises (like starting with anelka....and leaving him on for so long).  Looks to be a tight group, would have picked France/Mexico to go through, not too sure now.

What is annoying is having the matches i most want to see that are coming up (England v USA and Australia v Germany) both on at 4.30am! At least matches seem to be starting at 9.30pm from this point on.
Storm 4 Life~
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

Yeah, France really had the players to win that game, they blew a great opportunity to have the best possible start to the world cup. Ribery was shocking and I felt Malouda should have started.

As for England - USA, as much as I want to watch it live, I think I will just record it because I will be pulling another all nighter on Monday morning, when I go into the city to watch Australia V Germany :D
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Late prediction, but i'm going with Korea on this one, Park to make Greece look like Samoa.

That, and i don't think i know any of the Greece players (yet).
Storm 4 Life~
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yes I love the Soccer World cup and managed to watch the 1st game SA vs Mexico...a very entertaining game.

But I have a dilemma because I was born in Germany and my parents migrated to Victoria when I was 10 mths old  and I   love the SoccerRoos as well.  So I guess I will be happy with whoever wins that game.  However, I still want Australia to win the Cup if its possible..it would be awesome for the country.
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

Stayed up overnight again and watched 3 decent games of football, including England V USA, in which England would have won if it wasn't for a massive cock up by goalkeeper Robert Green. Tonight are the big ones though, our group counterparts go head to head, in Ghana and Serbia, then the we open our world cup qith a very, very tough match against Germany. A draw will be superb.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just watching the replay (highlights) of England v USA, and yeah that GK stuffed up big time! I wonder why D. James isn't their first choice #1?

My roster hasn't been too kind, and again i find myself tossing up if i should somehow stay up all night and follow through with a 6hr shift, or pull out a personal miracle and wake up at 4am+ to watch the game. I've always felt watching the game anything but live (wherever possible) kind of takes away from the moment (good or bad). A draw would be excellent, a win would be inspring  -  leaving us with a chance to top the group and almost certainly meet England in the next round, which i have a fair bit of confidence that they are one big team Australia can beat. In any event, i may need to steer away from here and any other sports news medium and watch it tomorrow evening.

Was glad with South Koreas match, first 3pts of the tournament going their way. Also caught a bit of Argentinas win (my overall pick) they looked fairly strong in their first game, i guess they want to make up for how they went last time.

At the very least we know Australia won't finish the game wondering if they could have done any better, they will be on every opportunity they get  -  it's the making those oppurtunities we may struggle with. I'm a big Harry Cool fan, not happy he's starting off the bench, i think he'd be better playing 80 (injuries permitting) and doing his free role, injecting his brillance when the space is there. Instead, we'll be lucky to see 20 minutes of which he may do 2 or 3 insane things  -  imo not enough.
Storm 4 Life~
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wow! Just wow! Algeria v Slovenia, i thoroughly enjoyed that match!

In a match most probably wouldn't care about, was some really enjoyable football. Even though it was won late in the game there were many chances for both sides. There was an unfortunate second yellow card (send off) not long before the winning (and only) goal. I don't believe that was an intentional handball, he seemed to pull away at the last moment (hit shoulder, play on for mine) However, Slovenia got the 3 pts and lead their group and are probably one win and one draw away from the round of 16!!!

If the next game is half as good i reckon i wil make it to 4.30am after all!!
Storm 4 Life~
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

Ok, I really don't know where to start because to be honest I am disgusted about how Germany just tore us apart. We were asking for trouble from the start, so many tactically wrong decisions from Pim Verbeek. He has played with the same formation and tactias for every game since he has taken charge, then all of a sudden he makes massive changes for the big one....not good enough.
Kewell and Kennedy - the only two players in the team you can actually call strikers, were both on the bench for the entire game, what good are they doing there?!
The thing is, we may not have the worlds greatest players but they can be doing a lot better than a 4-0 loss to Germany.
There were a few positives however to take out of the match, with Brett Emerton being one, and the first 5 minutes of each half being the other.

It is going to be one almighty challenge to make it through now...
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah, 2 wins or bust for the Aussies.

I managed to stay up and watch it, Germany were a class above  -  but yeah what the hell was going on with tactics?? Cahill as striker? Kewell, Kennedy and Bresciano on the bench the whole game??

Add to that a sub par performance and a dodgy red card on Cahill (that hurts big time), the game was painful to watch. It was like watching a world class team against a youth team that have been thrown together moments before kick off. I can't understand the decisions by Verbeek......maybe we need to give Guus a quick call! Some huge improvements needed if Australia are to go through.
Storm 4 Life~
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Can't get the buzzing out of my head :director:

I still haven't put my bets down but I'm thinking Argentina will win the tourney, with Fernando Torres winning the golden boot.

Hehe Word Cup  ;D - Forza Microsoft!!
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeh, i saw they advertised a official world cup CD, i didnt see a track named  ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  must be a single or something.

I'd much prefer the crowd to drop those...things, and all make clicking sounds instead. Would be a nice touch.
Storm 4 Life~
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

[url=http://"http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/thebaistand.net"]Heres a little WC Fever to the forum[/url] ;)

The swiss shocked spain overnight with a 1-0 win while South Africa's world cup appears over with a shattering 3-0 loss to Uruguay.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

w00t!!  Argentina vs South Korea @ 9.30 tonight!!

Will be awesome to be awake enough to be able to enjoy what should be some high quality football. No doubt Messi will be terrorizing the defence again. Prediction is Argentina by 3-1.
Storm 4 Life~