Breaking News

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Melbourne gets the nod for new Rugby Union franchise over South Africa this morning.

Crap game, though, let's be honest.

I wonder if it will impact Storm at all. (Especially the huge islander / kiwi contingents who go to Storm.)
Here's me and my new best friend! Sweeeeeeeet!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It'll be good for union fans but i personally would rather have not got the team and i'll be taking little to know interest in it. As for how it'll affect us if at all remains to be seen but i certainly don't think it'll help us.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Meh, to use Paul "Grub" Osbornes words its a low game. Once most Vic' actually see it in action they'll come to the same conclusion. I expect them to get great crowds to start of with though thanks to the Old Boys system in Melbourne then after a year or two it will be left to our polynesian brothers and sisters to prop it up.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

it is good news for the storm cause the rugby team have to rent the place from the storm
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I thought all the tenants (Storm, Victory, "Rebels" & Melbourne Heart) were renting from MOPT?

The breaking news IMHO is Dallas confirmed to play for the Dragons
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: it is good news for the storm cause the rugby team have to rent the place from the storm

The Storm don't own the stadium. Good news for the government though.
VIC
Squall
Squall

BIG DEAL!!! WHY IS THAT NEWS????

HAVE WE FORGOTTEN THE FAILED MELBOURNE RUGBY SIDE FROM TWO YEARS AGO THAT LASTED ONE SEASON ONLY?

NO IMPACT ON STORM WHAT SO EVER.......APART FROM USING THE SAME SHAPED BALL, THE GAMES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT............
VIC
Squall
Squall

PS. And besides that Rugby 14 tournament runs from the first week in February to the 1st week in May.

The NRL runs from the 3rd week in March to the end of September. The most peiod of overlap between NRL and Rugby 14 is only about 6 weeks at most.........so depending on game scheduling, the utmost possible games to be be playedin Melbourne by both Storm and the union team is ONLY 3!!!

get the picture? This thread is pointless
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the super 15's will run longer.  That's part of the plan for expanding the comp
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

steaming stormer wrote: the super 15's will run longer.  That's part of the plan for expanding the sheer boredom
Modified for accuracy  ;D
Without the Old boy network & leather patch brigade that prop up RU in the UK the Melbourne 'franchise' will be relying heavily on trans Tasman support.
I'll give it two 'effective' season's IF they can maintain a winning percentage.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i love union but im not going to waste my time watching the melb team unless they get some appealing marquee signings
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

nacho wrote: i love union but im not going to waste my time watching the melb team unless they get some appealing marquee signings
Doesn't matter if they do, Australia just doesn't have the depth of talent in the Rugby Union pool to field 5 teams ... for the next decade Aussie teams will be the ballast on the Super15 ladder.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

singlemalt wrote:
nacho wrote: i love union but im not going to waste my time watching the melb team unless they get some appealing marquee signings
Doesn't matter if they do, Australia just doesn't have the depth of talent in the Rugby Union pool to field 5 teams ... for the next decade Aussie teams will be the ballast on the Super15 ladder.
They will be getting concessions for their 1st 2 years in the comp, which I think means they they recruit whoever they want, not just Aussie players.

I think this will have an impact on the storm in the sense that we will lose sponsors.
Could also mean we may lose some supporters/members  and possibly some players (hopefully not).
Though I heard on Fox Sports tonight, they are targeting afl players :P
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Main risk in my opinion is in the corporate/sponsor area although with Storm being established I think a lot of corporates/sponsors would rather stay put.

As for the Kiwis and Polynesians I think the Storm has given them plenty of excitement over the years, such that they will stay converted and at worst would support both codes.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Luckily too we are on the cusp of a shitload of Vic starting to play for the Storm. The onion team will be hard pressed to have many as the ARU will want/need all potential Wobblies playing in the S15, thats a limited number of spots.