Will Chambers' second thoughts

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 09,00.html

I guess Will's dream move to the QLD Reds is not so much of a dream now is it?

MELBOURNE Storm's Will Chambers is devastated after Wallabies star Berrick Barnes reneged on a promise to mentor him in his debut rugby season with the Queensland Reds next year.

In a shock move, Reds five-eighth Barnes defected to the New South Wales Waratahs this week.

Centre Chambers, 21, is the Reds' prized recruit for 2010 yet the turmoil in Queensland rugby this week has so spooked him that his manager wants to revisit the contract.

Jim Banaghan spoke by phone with Reds general manager Daniel Herbert late yesterday to go over "the most basic premise of the contract not being fulfilled".

It would be over-dramatic to say Banaghan wants the contract voided, but the vibe was that if Chambers struck a deal today on his future, it would not be at the Reds.

"Basically, we've been told there is no negotiating, 'it is a contract to be abided by, try to stay positive and sorry about the promises'," Banaghan said.

"Look, you don't get better people than Herbert and (retention committee ally) Tim Horan but Will is blown away by what's happened.

"Berrick was one of the big inducements, the playmaker throwing the passes to a young centre who has a dream to make the Wallabies and the 2011 World Cup.

"(Reds coach) Phil Mooney assured us Berrick would stay and guide as a mentor. Berrick told Will he'd be staying when they all met in Brisbane two months ago.

"It's fine to talk about being part of the big rebuild of the Reds but you know what happens to pioneers. They are the ones who get the arrows."

Banaghan said he was holding off on talks with Chambers until today so the centre could focus on last night's NRL clash against St George Illawarra in Sydney.

Peter Lewis resigned as Queensland Rugby Union chairman on Thursday night with a shot at Barnes.

"He said to the team and publicly that he was staying. As the QRU we met every request and went the extra mile so it's poor from him," Lewis said.

Backline ace Digby Ioane is spending the weekend agonising over whether to finally put pen to a Reds' contract following Barnes' exit.

NSW is feeding off the Reds' vulnerable position with Waratahs coach Chris Hickey confirming they had upgraded moves to woo Ioane to replace sacked Wallaby Lote Tuqiri.

Ioane spoke of the player anguish over Barnes's decision.

"It's his choice but it hurts when I felt he was committed," Ioane said.

"The Reds have still got good players and if we stick together we can make a difference. I love the Reds and I'm switching off hundreds of phone calls to make up my own mind."

If Ioane was to stick with the Reds it would be a huge show of his character and ability to become a leader among the players of Polynesian origin in the Reds squad.
Last edited by estormboy on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Centre Chambers, 21, is the Reds' prized recruit for 2010
Who is this Chambers they are talking about?
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

I dont care what he does...or where he goes just aslong as it is as far away from the storm as possible.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Bullets
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

lol the poor Reds...noone wants to play for them...however Digby Ioane has ended up signing on today.
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/Yeungy01/Stormcopy.jpg[/img]
http://s13.zetaboards.com/The_Colosseum/index/ - The Colosseum - Arena of Entertainment
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Sure he'd be having second thoughts right now. Brought on late last week in the loss against the waratahs, half time this week against crusaders & he's still warming the bench.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote:
Centre Chambers, 21, is the Reds' prized recruit for 2010
Who is this Chambers they are talking about?
Will Chambers....
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......