R.I.P Shawn Mackay

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

so sad to hear about shawns tragic passing, rest in peace

i think the roosters will be wearing black arm bands this weekend, he played jersey flegg for them in 2005 before changing to rugby
Grieving ACT Brumbies players have returned to Canberra without their team-mate Shawn Mackay, who has died in a South African hospital.

Just hours after learning of their loss, the solemn line of Brumbies players have filed through the arrival gates at Canberra Airport.

They’ve returned home from South Africa, leaving behind team-mate Shawn Mackay who died this morning after a blood infection triggered a heart attack.

The 26-year-old had been in a medically induced coma for more than a week, after being hit by a security car during a night out in Durban.

Embracing team officials, some players struggled to fight back tears as they try to come to terms with their loss.

Nobody spoke to the waiting media pack, but the silence was deafening.

Earlier today Brumbies coach Andy Friend emerged briefly to speak to media.

"It is the worst possible news," Friend said.

"It's fair to say that we are all in shock and we have taken the news very, very hard.

"When we left South Africa we all hoped that Macca would recover quickly and would be joining us home in a matter of weeks.

"To hear that the blood infection has led to a cardiac arrest and has taken his life is very hard for us to reconcile.

"Shawn Mackay was an outstanding person. When we recruited Macca to the Brumbies we did so for his character as much as for his outstanding rugby skills.

"He was generous, he was warm, he was funny and an enthusiastic player.

"He had the respect of everybody at the Brumbies and everybody in Australian rugby.

"His passing is a tragedy.

"On behalf of the Brumbies I would like to say to Shawn's family and his partner Trish, we share your loss and our love and our prayers are with you as we seek to come to terms with his passing."

Mackay had been admitted to St Augustine's hospital in Durban with a cervical spinal fracture and dislocation, a fractured skull as well as a broken leg and multiple facial fractures after being struck by the vehicle.

The incident occurred about 4.15am Durban time when Mackay and a number of other Brumbies were leaving a nightclub, having wound down after their Super 14 loss to the Sharks the previous evening.

Mackay's parents, John and Leonie, and girlfriend Trish flew to South Africa on Tuesday to be by his side
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Condolences to his family and those close to him.
Tragic news, i'm speechless.
R.I.P
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Very tragic news for a young man in his prime.
Like the Sonny Fai memorial last weekend, the Brumbies will be giving Shawn a one minute round of applause, to celebrate his life.

Deepest sympathies to Shawn Mackay's family and the Brumbies organisation
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]