Rugby Union World Cup Thread

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Post everything and anything relating to the 2007RWC:

World Cup Opening Match

Argentina 17 def. France 12

Results From Saturday Night

New Zealand - 76 def. Italy - 14

Australia - 91 def. Japan - 3
(note: Ex-Rugby Leauge young gun Berrick Barnes scored 2 try's on debut)

England - 28 def. USA - 10
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

last night was a joke its the main reason the WC's dont work for this sport or any sport that is not Football.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

perthstormer wrote: last night was a joke its the main reason the WC's dont work for this sport or any sport that is not Football.
RWC is a new world cup, theyve only had 6.
give it time and there will be more teams who can pose a challenge for all teams.
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

I say stick to you main nations have a two tier cup for pete sake.  the same could be aplied for cricket league ect
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
Brownzay
Squall
Squall

Bryan Habana scored 4 tries the other night, I think South Africa are a real chance considering their on the easier side of the draw
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They certainly are, and they thumped England 36-0 this morning AEST.

Sweet revenge for South Africa after the 2003 World Cup! :thumbright:

And congrats to Percy Montgomery on equalling the record of 89 Springbok tests held by Joost van der Westhuizen  =D> =D> =D>

Springboks humiliate England
From correspondents in Paris

September 15, 2007

SOUTH Africa has inflicted a record World Cup defeat on England winning 36-0 in Paris to avenge its 2003 World Cup loss.

Two tries to JP Pietersen - taking his total to three - one from Juan Smith and 18 points from Percy Montgomery handed England its first World Cup defeat since the Springboks beat it at the Stade de France in the 1999 World Cup quarter-finals.

The Springboks gained the early advantage with a stunning try.

JP Pietersen made a break down the right wing and offloaded to outstanding scrum-half Fourie du Preez, who looked certain to score but for a tap tackle by Jason Robinson which made him stumble.

However, the Bulls scrum-half had the presence of mind to look inside and find Smith, who had an open field to run in and touch down - Montgomery, equalling Joost van der Westhuizen's national caps record of 89, converted to make it 7-0 after just six minutes.

South Africa extended its lead to 10-0 a few minutes later as England conceded a penalty and the impressive young centre Francois Steyn landed it from long range which had coach Jake White out of his seat.

The 'Boks all but grabbed its second try in the 21st minute when du Preez's inspired kick into England's 22 saw Jaque Fourie grab the ball but Robinson's last ditch tackle stopped him just short of the line, though, Fourie's momentum carried him forward but he lost control of the ball.

While the South Africans were dominating they were not getting that vital third score with Steyn going closest with a drop goal effort that hit the post.

They finally extended it to 13-0 when the ice cool Montgomery landed a penalty in the 36th minute after England's South African-born prop Matt Stevens seemed to forget which side he was on and gave away a needless penalty for obstruction.

The match looked done and dusted in the 38th minute when England lost the ball and the magnificent du Preez picked up a loose pass from a teammate, made the break and selflessly unloaded to Pietersen who strode over the line - Montgomery converted to give it a 20-0 advantage.

England must have known its time was up as one of the bands in the crowd struck up 'Those were the days my friends' at the start of the second-half.

Montgomery's unerring boot quickly added another penalty to make it 23-0 and England just couldn't help itself, as with a great chance of a try for some reason lock Ben Kay believed he was Jonny Wilkinson and tried to chip it into the corner only to kick it softly into a grateful Pietersen's hands from five metres.

Montgomery landed another penalty to make it 26-0 shortly before the hour mark and as if to symbolise England's appalling night Robinson - England's best player - pulled up in the 58th minute clutching his left hamstring when it looked likely to score a try.

Instead it was Pietersen who grabbed his second try in the 64th minute once again set up by the irrepressible du Preez which Montgomery converted to make it 33-0 - he was to add another penalty before fulltime - and leave England like Robinson bloodied and limping off the pitch.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bring on Aus vs Wales tonight 11pm local time
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

breaking news :
larkam injured his knee in training and will be out for tonight and maybe the rest of the WC. he may be ready for the quater finals and the mighty berrick barnes will be playing his 2nd test ever and what a big game it is, good luck berrick, get better steve
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wow, portugals prop is 136kg and is built like a brick shit house.

50mins in to the game and New Zealand lead the Portugese 59 - 10
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I don't watch Union very much, and this semi between Australia and England is reminding me why. The most entertaining part so far was the laugh I got during the singing of the Australian national anthem, the TV (and sound) went onto some gorilla (I didn't know Weyman plays Union as well as League) as he was singing "in joyful strains then let us sing" except this guy's singing was about 20 times worse than mine. It was far from joyful, I can tell you!

The point of this post was actually just to check about the rules of Union, I thought that knockons and forward passes weren't allowed, same as in League. Can someone clarify for me.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote: I don't watch Union very much, and this semi between Australia and England is reminding me why. The most entertaining part so far was the laugh I got during the singing of the Australian national anthem, the TV (and sound) went onto some gorilla (I didn't know Weyman plays Union as well as League) as he was singing "in joyful strains then let us sing" except this guy's singing was about 20 times worse than mine. It was far from joyful, I can tell you!

The point of this post was actually just to check about the rules of Union, I thought that knockons and forward passes weren't allowed, same as in League. Can someone clarify for me.
forward passes arent allowed and it will result in a scrum same as a knock on.
in a double knock on it is against the team that knocked on first
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

this aus vs eng match is actually a good battle of the forwards and neither has the upper hand - to me thats a good match - the scrums have been very bad mainly because of the front rowers collapsing.

its about time the million dollar man (lote turquiri) has actually done something worth wild by scoring the first try of his RWC campaign
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

australia lost  :'(

thats the end of Gregans Carrer and Lathams  :(

a bad way to go out, to the old enemy from 2003.

i thought the game was lost by our forwards and partly contributed by the backline sloppy handeling and passing to a man whose standing still alot of work was needed even after this match if we won to defeat the likes of All Blacks & Springboks a world cup win was never on the cards but to get further would have been alot more satisfying.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Don't matter, boring game and I won't be watching another one for at least 4 years.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I'm sure there'll be someone giving the aussies shite for losing....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only found out the score by accident  ;-)
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!