Save My Sport

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Filthy Teeve
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Some of you may have seen Ryan Phelan (From Sports Tonight) carrying on about the threat of current free to air sports being taken over by Pay TV networks. www.savemysport.com.au is a site where you can read about all the facts and figures related to free to air sports, vote (quite lame that part) or hassles MP's. Have a look if your passionate about free sports.
Last edited by Buzz on Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking Is The Leading Cause Of Statistics
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Sorry FT - can't agree with this one. Savemysport.com.au is surprisingly enough closely related to Free TV Australia (same address, same phone numbers). This organisation represents the free commercial networks and as such, savemysport represents those wishes of the networks and NOT the sports lover.

The anti-siphoning list which is at the heart of the debate is there to protect certain sports from being removed to the realms of pay tv. What isn't protected is once the commercial networks have agreed to rights of a sport, that the sport is actually shown live or on delay. Many sports have suffered and each network is to blame. From basketball on ten, rugby league on nine, rugby union on seven and so on.

The pay tv companies are more on the side of sports fans than the commercial networks. They are pushing for a "use it or lose it" policy. If Ten decide to buy the rights to basketball again, but then not show it - new laws would then enable foxtel to broadcast it.

This is not about losing the AFL / NRL grand finals or Melbourne Cup from free to air - it's about all those other sports that get swallowed by commercial networks for their own motives. Poo to them! :)
lotti

tell that to the victorian NRL fans.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
perthstormer
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know what you are saying buzz im just worried the free to air networks may opt to lose it.  how many sports have gone to foxtel now and are becoming totaly un accesable to the public that can not aford Foxtel.  English premier Leauge, NRl, A leauge, NBL
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/danny___boi/cooperthecronk2.jpg
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

but that won't change by having a free sports list - those sports were protected, but the fta channels weren't showing them.  Look at the French Open, still on the list, but when did 9 last show it.  I think the use it or lose it policy is exactly what it should be.  I'm all for the fta being given first crack at major and important sports events, but if they don't show them, why should noone be able to see them?
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with Buzz  and steaming stormer here.

Currently 1300 sports are on the FTA anti-list which FTA show under 10% live or near live.

In documents submitted to the Federal Court last year where a senior executive from Seven sent an email to his chairman that said the AFL was not giving Seven credit that, “We have secured the soccer rights and suffocated the sport, much to the chagrin of its supporters. This is why FTA are undertaking the scare campaign at the moment.

Lets look at F1 which Channel Ten show when they want, yet say they are the biggest friend to car racing fans. The Japan Grand Prix which should been shown live or nearly live will be shown 11.05pm, this is some 8 hours after the event has taken place.

We don't need to talk about League as anyone that visits here that thinks everything is ok with the broadcast situation really doesn't care for the sport.

The Premier League has grown in popularity over the past 5 years due in part to Pay TV showing more games, and not just the 5 or 6 major teams but all teams. Also Pay TV is now showing the Coke-Cola League games as well so this allows more fans to see their team, where as they couldn't before.

Baseball, Basketball, American Football fans can now watch games live or near live and enjoy their sports even more instead of always missing out.

The issue of FREE is one that the commercial station like to banter around but no one can tell me that there isn't one sports fan that has been happy with the way their sport is shown on those networks, no matter what the sport for decades.

Lets not forget, at each of those stations 5 people decide what you watch and when you will watch it and it is all based on what is going to bring in more money for that station. Now there is nothing wrong with that as they are businesses there to make money, but as a sports fans and viewer why should I have to wait (or maybe never see my favourite sport) just because it's not going to make enough money for that station yet they have the rights to it.

Or what about the station that buys a sport, never shows it just to keep another sports administration happy....once again.....a senior executive from Seven sent an email to his chairman that said the AFL was not giving Seven credit that, “We have secured the soccer rights and suffocated the sport, much to the chagrin of its supporters.

Sport is big business and as such those sports are growing because of the money coming in  by the corporate and television dollar. In fact if it wasn't for the subscription television money for most of the big sports they wouldn't be where they are today as in many cases part of the money is what has helped clubs and players get paid as much as they do.

The use it or lose it policy that sporting bodies and Pay TV want in this country will ensure those sports have total control of their sports future and can ensure that fans and supporters can have the best coverage for their team and sport.
Last edited by Stormwarning[c] on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with the sentiments Buzz first motioned! :D

I laughed out loud when I first saw this "sky is falling" ad... what a joke! :roll:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

The way the FTA TV networks treat sports lovers is nothing short of disgraceful.

Stormwarning pretty much covered it all so not much point me adding anything further.

I just wished pay tv was cheaper.  :?
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Foxtel now have new packages that you could get a basics package and all the sports channels for around $52 a month.

Now I know that seems high but for having so many international sports now live or close to live I think it is worth it.

And don't forget they launched a new 24 hour sports news channel along the lines of ESPN News channel which is the latest news and breaking stories (not the old 15 minute updates repeated all day). Had a look at it the other day and it looks good with them crossing to the announcement of the naming of the Kiwi Tri-Nations squad.

I just hope they keep it up and do live crosses to team media conferences during the year.

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
lotti

Austar has those ones as well.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Stormwarning[c] wrote: Foxtel now have new packages that you could get a basics package and all the sports channels for around $52 a month.

Now I know that seems high but for having so many international sports now live or close to live I think it is worth it.
Yep, I look forward to getting that at my new place. Hmm, considering the cost of watching away games at the pub compared to staying home with a few cans instead would probably work out cheaper and cover the cost of pay tv.
luvin.the.storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

we got pay tv in 98 or 99 just for the sports channel fox footy and then rugby league came into our lives and it worked out even better - except when the game times clash. But now we have digital and that's bloody brilliant - put the games on planner, electronic guide and the magazine isnt even used anymore.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought I would add this to this thread so people can see why NO ONE should support this campaign. I know I have posted it in it's own thread but hey, the more that support the 'use it lose it' campaign the better
CHANNEL 9 yesterday came under heavy fire for refusing to telecast Saturday's Tri-Nations Test between Australia and New Zealand live and instead airing an episode of Australia's Funniest Home Videos.

Ignoring fans' wishes for the match to be shown live from 5pm (8pm Auckland time), Nine will show host Toni Pearen and video clips of what one website describes as: "People falling over and hurting themselves; babies and animals doing amusing things or old people doing things they shouldn't be doing."

The match will be shown on Nine at 6.30pm – 90 minutes after kick-off.

Nine will telecast Australia's Funniest Home Videos and then, importantly to them, their news bulletin while the Test match is being played.

It will be virtually impossible for fans to watch the match and not know the score given the internet coverage, TV updates, radio bulletins and 2GB's decision to call the game live.

Nine's decision comes as free-to-air stations run commercials over the Federal Government's anti-siphoning laws, claiming the public should be allowed to watch sport free and not be forced to buy Fox Sports.

Fox Sports claimed last night it would happily show the game live given their campaign aimed at free-to-air stations states: "Use it or lose it."

Nine head of sport Steve Crawley said the International Rugby League Board stated all Tri-Nations games must kick off at 8pm.

"It if was on a time when it could be shown live, we would," said Crawley.

"Nine has made a massive commitment to live sport. All Tri-Nations games played in Australia will be shown live."

2GB's rugby league broadcaster Ray Hadley was astounded at Nine's decision.

"I have no control over Channel 9 but I find it strange that they are in a battle with pay-TV over anti-siphoning and they don't seize the opportunity to show the game live," Hadley said.

"Everywhere you look there are ads saying you shouldn't pay for your sport. They have missed an opportunity. We will call it live."

ARL chairman Colin Love was diplomatic yesterday.

"Naturally we would prefer the game to be shown live but you have to be realistic," Love said.

"Nine has its news at 6pm and they can't run the risk of interfering with that."

Fox Sports chief operating officer John Marquard added: "They (free-to-air stations) run campaigns to save sport but then don't put sport on live. The fans want to see their sport live."

The industry body for pay-television, ASTRA, also hit out at Nine.

"Not even a Test against arch rivals New Zealand is safe from free-to-air TV abuse of the special privileges they are given under Australia's sports broadcasting laws," said ASTRA executive director Debra Richards.

Former Australian great Brett Kenny was upset at Nine's decision, saying: "It is ridiculous it's not live. Radio do it live, why can't television?"

steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

note too that article only refers to NSW and QLD viewers - we have to put up with Kangaroo Jack as well
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote: note too that article only refers to NSW and QLD viewers - we have to put up with Kangaroo Jack as well
But we do get the game before midnight though ;) ;) ;)