NFL player dies after preseason game

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

San Francisco offensive lineman Thomas Herrion has collapsed in the locker room and died, shortly after the 49ers played the Denver Broncos in a preseason game.

Herrion, a 191cm (6ft 3in), 141kg guard, was on the field for San Francisco's 14-play, 91-yard drive that ended with a touchdown with 2 seconds left.

Players had finished listening to coach Mike Nolan address them in a post game meeting when Herrion collapsed. Medics administered CPR on him and took him to an ambulance that rushed him to a nearby hospital.

About three hours later, 49ers spokesman Aaron Salkin confirmed that Herrion had died. The cause of death was not immediately known.

"This is a colossal tragedy for the 49ers and the entire NFL community," Salkin said. "We still do not know all the details. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Herrion family."

The death comes a little more than four years after offensive lineman Korey Stringer of the Minnesota Vikings died of heatstroke during a training camp practice on a day during which the heat index soared to 110.

Temperatures around 20 degrees Celsius with 50 per cent humidity on Saturday night in Denver, although experts say heatstroke can occur even in cool conditions.

"We didn't see anything happen," Niners defensive lineman Marques Douglas said. "I sat by my locker and prayed for him."

Herrion, a first-year player with the 49ers, played college football at Utah State University and spent part of last season on the San Francisco and Dallas practice squads and also played this season with the Hamburg Sea Dogs of NFL Europe.
My poor 9ers... :(
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Sad to hear. :(
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Shocking. It's not uncommon for NFL players to be extremely exhausted after a game or training but to die, while it's obviously not unprecedented - I still remember the news when Stringer died-, it's not something anyone's prepared to face in this situation.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

He was 141kgs BTW
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mike_The_Undertaker wrote:He was 141kgs BTW
According to some NFL supporters that would mean he was in peak physical condition.
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah well it depends,

Alot of the linemen are HUGE but could ran faster than you and i... so some can still be fit.. but with this guy its hard to know caused he's death.