Super Bowl XXXIX

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well as my 49ers sucked major ass this year (Note to 49ers Admin: letting all the good players and coaching staff go in one season = 2-14 record!!! :shock: ), I guess I'll go for my 2nd team (since early 90's) - the Philly Eagles... would love to see Colts vs. Eagles as they both sucked for so many years...
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just finished watching Jets V Steelers, close game... jets had a chance to win it twice with field goals but missed... So steelers go through to play either New England or The Colts.. to get into the Superbowl.. should be good :wink:

Now off to watch the falcons take on the rams.. oh and flick to the cricket every now and then.. carn the aussies! :lol:
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sad to see the Colts out after such a great performance last week against Denver... I'll be going for the Steelers over Patriots (I hate seeing the same team win constantly!), and I'll be praying for the Eagles to finally win an NFC Championship game after losing the last 3 in a row!
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

************** PATRIOTS V EAGLES IN SUPERBOWL XXXIX **************

The Patriots will go for their third NFL title in four years when the teams meet Feb. 6 in Jacksonville in Super Bowl XXXIX

Be sure to be watching.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

cam wrote:************** PATRIOTS V EAGLES IN SUPERBOWL XXXIX **************

The Patriots will go for their third NFL title in four years when the teams meet Feb. 6 in Jacksonville in Super Bowl XXXIX

Be sure to be watching.
I am guessing that SBS have the FTA TV rights still?
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

From what i've heard, The Superbowl will be on both SBS and FOXSPORTS

I think its starting at 10am on sbs and 8am on Foxsports, but i guess all that will be in the TV Guide.

By the way, My tip is...... Philly 38 Def New England 28

But im just hoping for a good game!!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Philly beat New England, it's sure to be a great game! ;)
cam
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well, the pats won it again, 3 in 4 years and 2 in a row.

The score was 24 - 21 (im sure you all know by now..) and again they win by 3 points, and again one Field Goal made all the difference. You know.. im starting to get sick of the pats :x
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Not a bad game, and the Pats certainly deserved the win despite a performance far below their usual mechanical precision. I thought McNabb was rather disappointing, but Deion Branch was certainly the difference in attack. It was great to see Corey Dillon -an ex Bengal 8) - get across.

Why, oh why Paul Mcartney?

Still, having watched the WCC and the Superbowl this weekeng there is no contest. Rugby League all the way.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

TC wrote:Why, oh why Paul Mcartney?
I like The Beatles, Wings and Paul McCartney, but Superbowl material he is not!!! That was the flattest and most boring half time entertainment at a major event that I have ever watched.
TC wrote:Still, having watched the WCC and the Superbowl this weekeng there is no contest. Rugby League all the way.
Totally agree. I still cannot fathom why grid iron players do not pass the ball in general play. Is it against the rules or something? They do the initial hand off or pass but after that nothing.

As for the SBS commentators saying some crap about rugby league using a separate kick return team, I hope that never ever happens. Rugby League is a team sport. Not a team made up of teams like grid iron.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yeah, damn those Patriots (although they are far from my worst team - I would just like to have seen someone else win it this year, and my 2nd team would have been perfect!)... :(

I thought the same thing about Dillon coincidentally - I am a sucker for teams and/or players that have had it rough in the past but are now doing well... if only the Bengals themselves could have some success!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Surandy wrote:I still cannot fathom why grid iron players do not pass the ball in general play. Is it against the rules or something? They do the initial hand off or pass but after that nothing.
The rules actually state that the ball can only be passed forward once per play. The ball can be handed off or passed sideways or backwards (known as a "lateral" pass) a number of times. It's just very rare, obviously not something that they're trained to do.

I've occasionally seen gridiron teams do runaround plays in the classic League style - Steve Young and Dan Marino both spring to mind - and I once saw Troy Aikman pass backwards to Neon Deion (who threw incomplete).
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote:... if only the Bengals themselves could have some success!
Maybe next year. :D
Hmm...how many years have I been saying that? :cry: It's been a loooong time between drinks for us Cinci fans. :roll:
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:...I still cannot fathom why grid iron players do not pass the ball in general play. Is it against the rules or something? They do the initial hand off or pass but after that nothing.
Agreed - any player can pass the ball backwards at any time, but hardly anyone does it - it's like that rule is not even taught! I understand it's a risk, cause most of the players out on the field have butterfingers (if you've ever seen the mad scramble for a loose ball, you'll know what I mean), but surely a play or two can be worked around two players that have good hands!
One of the best touchdowns I ever saw involved 3 or 4 laterals after the initial 50-60 yard run... it was so entertaining to watch, but they are so few and far between.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Man, I saw that game three times today (sbs/foxsports morning live, foxsports evening, sbs late night) and I'm still far from impressed. The one last year was a lot better than this one, at least they looked interested back then. People were talking this game up like it was going to be the best SuperBowl ever but what a disappointment. Eagles didn't deliver, Pats were okay, the most excitement was the last quarter but even then, there was no doubt which team was going to win especially after viniateri kicked the field goal. I don't mind the Pats winning again, made an interesting set of stats; 3 bowl wins in 4 years, 9/9 playoff games, 3 games won by adam vinatieri field goals.

The late night SBS replay was interesting in that had I not notice the game time and real clock, I wouldn't have noticed they heavily edited the game. I swear they must've cut out nearly half of the first half. It ended up just under 2 hours including the half time show + ads between quarters. Paul McCartney was good but definitely not SuperBowl material though still better than last year's mish mash of odd selection of artists, I mean P.Diddy, Kid Rock, Justin and Janet, what the hell were they thinking?!?! U2 in 03 was arguably the SuperBowl best half time show of the decade.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]