Packers last laugh at AFL

Want to discuss AFL, Union, Soccer... Lawn Bowls?!?!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I will declare that I am a big Packer fan with the way they go about things so I couldn't but laugh this morning.

Snr may be gone but Jr Packer seems to have his dads great sense of pay back.

With no agreement reached between Channel 7 and Packers Fox Footy Channel it seems the Packers have had the last laugh on the last day of their dedicated one sport channel with this being reported in the Telegraph......

FIFTY thousand Australians watched the AFL grand final last weekend and saw Barry Hall play a blinder.

They cheered the Sydney Swans to a second narrow victory over the West Coast Eagles, sealed amazingly by yet another match-saving mark in the last second by Leo Barry. But their parallel universe was exposed when they rang their mates to celebrate, or commiserate, after the game.

It was then they discovered thegrand final they thought they were watching was the 2005 version _ not the 2006 thriller, which West Coast won by a point. The replay was screened by pay-TV channel Fox Footy at the same time the real thing was being shown live on Channel 10.

About 50,000 viewers who tuned in to Fox Footy's coverage were miffed at being duped. Fan Chris Graham, who watched the entire 2005 replay with a "Swans-mad mate'', said he was annoyed with the channel, which has since ceased operations after failing to obtain a new AFL rights agreement.

"What they did was a disgrace,'' Mr Graham said. "They promoted it as the grand-final edition the entire day. They just forgot to add 2006.''  Mr Graham admitted that at one point during the telecast, he questioned whether he was watching a replay of 2005.

"I thought at times that it looked familiar, but I just put that down to the fact the same two teams were playing.''

Another viewer, Andrew Hagger, said he was overseas for last year's grand final and tuned into Fox Footy thinking he was watching this season's decider.  "Given that Fox Footy is no more, maybe this was their attempt at a humorous parting gesture? Problem is, I really wasn't amused once I learned I'd been watching the wrong game.''

His confusion was mirrored by a sports editor at a Tasmanian newspaper who confirmed he, too, had been caught out watching the wrong game. "It was a busy day in the office. I had my head down and wasn't really concentrating on the game.

"When I saw West Coast interchange (former ruckman) Michael Gardiner, I realised my mistake and quickly turned over.''

Several callers to post-game radio shows said they had also watched the entire replay, even though they were listening to live radio coverage of the 2006 game. "I just thought it was different because of satellite delay or something,'' one caller said.

A Foxtel spokesman said there had been "no malicious intent to confuse audiences'', despite Fox Footy screening its own live preamble, hosted by Matthew Campbell and Wayne Carey.  "It was listed as a replay in our programming guides,'' he told The Sunday Telegraph.

Foxtel football executive Peter Campbell was unapologetic. "We've got to show something. I would have thought Ten made it clear they were the premiership network and it was live and exclusive,'' he said.
All I can say to the Packers is  =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> I love it
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

shows the intelligence of afl fans too - they didn't even know!!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

That's so true SS, everyone knows that the GF is live on only one station!!  :lol: :lol:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Filthy Teeve
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Oh for them to show a Carlton grand final victory replay and believe, if only for a small while, that it was live and in the balance.
Smoking Is The Leading Cause Of Statistics
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Like that'll ever happen Teeve  ;-) :lol:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!