RAIDERS SACK DAVE FURNER

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Raiders sack coach Furner

Canberra coach David Furner has been sacked by the NRL club's board, effective immediately.

The move reportedly followed a crisis board meeting after nine players told the board they were struggling to work with Furner.

Assistant Andrew Dunemann will take over as interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

"The board made the tough decision (to sack Furner) feeling the team's inconsistent performances were not reflective of the talent within the squad and have decided to pursue a different direction for the future of the club," said the club in a statement.

"The board noted the wonderful service over many years that David Furner has made to the club from his days as a player and more recently a coach and said he will leave his tenure at the club as one of the Raiders' most loyal and respected figures.

"They noted the difficulty in the decision and said it was one of the saddest days in the club's history."

MORE TO COME
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shit culture there. Unless something changes down there I seriously think they club will fold and relocate.

Apparently Fergo has a get out clause too, he's basically a free agent now.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It makes absolutely no sense - they are almost in the top 8, the finals are just about here....there must be more to it than the BS PR fluff that they've released. I'm going to make a bold prediction - and say Blake Ferguson was involved somehow, and he will now be staying in Canberra (expect Milford to go though) I would not be at all surprised if it was a 'either he goes or i go' situation. That said, this is based off nothing at all - and if it turns out to be on the money, well, you saw it here first :P
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well, I wasn't too far off....i didn't know furner and ferguson had a bromance going on! But it seems due to a player revolt anyway - and it looks like fergo will end up in sydney somewhere, my guess is the dogs.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The writing was on the wall when the Raiders didn't give Ferguson the arse when they sent Dugan packing...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ferguson issues aside, this has been long overdue IMO.

I agree blazza, shithouse culture in Canberra. Things are about to get worse for them as I don't see Shillington sticking around come contract renewel time, Milford is 100% gone for 2014 and Ferguson already has one foot in Sydney.

The Raiders already struggle to draw quality players (and keep them), this situation is only going to make that even harder.