All Stars cancelled as Nines is born

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

THE NRL is refusing to concede the annual NRL Indigenous All Stars clash is dead - despite the concept being sacrificed next season, just four years after its inception.

All Stars coach Wayne Bennett has been asked to join the NRL at a press conference today to announce a major overhaul of next year's pre-season.

It will see the inclusion of an inaugural NRL Nines event in Auckland which, despite its $2.2 million prizemoney, has been criticised by Penrith general manager Phil Gould.

Rugby league's end-of-year World Cup, which concludes with the final on November 30, has led to the All Stars, which is usually held in the second week of February, being squeezed from next year's pre-season.

More than 100 NRL players from Australia, New Zealand, England, Papua New Guinea, Italy, Tonga and the Cook Islands will play at the World Cup.

An email obtained by The Daily Telegraph detailing the 2014 pre-season calendar and a subsequent phone hook-up of all 16 clubs yesterday confirmed the overhaul.

The fear of forcing the game's elite, including World Cup certainties Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Sam Burgess, Kieran Foran and Shaun Johnson, into making themselves available for the All Stars just eight weeks after the World Cup was the main reason behind the NRL's decision to scrap the annual exhibition match.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6692971839
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Eh. Never really liked the concept of the all stars.

The 9's tourney sounds alright but I'm not keen on any of our stars playing in it.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

How is those players backing up for nines and WCC any different to backing up for Indigenous game?
And if they're so concerned, then play the Indigenous games with teams selected from players who did not participate in the World Cup.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

they have set a prize pool of 2.2 mil thinking that clubs will field there best possible to take out the clash..
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good concept. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a weekend long piss up and costume party. I'm in!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is just a new attempt at creating a "Super League". Now that News Ltd has left our game they're trying to create a new 9's competition to compete with it.
Sounds to me like Murdoch is trying to do to league what Packer did with cricket when he created WSC.
Big difference is that Murdoch is just a greedy old bastard with no finesse whatsoever.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:This is just a new attempt at creating a "Super League". Now that News Ltd has left our game they're trying to create a new 9's competition to compete with it.
Sounds to me like Murdoch is trying to do to league what Packer did with cricket when he created WSC.
Big difference is that Murdoch is just a greedy old bastard with no finesse whatsoever.
Huh? What kind of sense does that make?

First off, there is a no competition clause that was part of News Limited's exit from the game. They are lima lima lima duck 7 ways from Sunday if they try and start a rival competition. Secondly, this is an ARLC concept. Nothing to do with News Limited or anybody else.

It makes sense; remember the talent that turned out for Melbourne in the 2003 World Sevens, King, Bell, Smith, Slater; nobody knew who they were. ten years later they are household names. If they scrap the All Stars to relieve pressure on the star players then imagine who and what we will get to see in regards to the younger members of our squad? Big deal if our stars don't play.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ok. So I missed the boat a bit on this one, I thought it was a foxtel-inspired exhibition game(s).

So, what is it? Is it a stand alone match, or a series/knockout round/AFL style thing?

And if its to help manage WC player welfare then are those players excluded from participating?
If its a comp for non-rep players to participate in then I'm all for it, however I still don't understand the difference between non-rep players playing Indigineous game?? At least it's the 17-man game they play throughout the year, not some hybrid version.

And if the concept is to showcase the games top talent in a 9's game straight after the WC then I'm with Bellamy. The NRL players association need to grow some balls and stop leaving player welfare upto Craig Bellamy to sort out.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:Ok. So I missed the boat a bit on this one, I thought it was a foxtel-inspired exhibition game(s).

So, what is it? Is it a stand alone match, or a series/knockout round/AFL style thing?

And if its to help manage WC player welfare then are those players excluded from participating?
If its a comp for non-rep players to participate in then I'm all for it, however I still don't understand the difference between non-rep players playing Indigineous game?? At least it's the 17-man game they play throughout the year, not some hybrid version.

And if the concept is to showcase the games top talent in a 9's game straight after the WC then I'm with Bellamy. The NRL players association need to grow some balls and stop leaving player welfare upto Craig Bellamy to sort out.
Nope. Not an exhibition game. There's a 2.2 million dollar purse in it for the winner so it's competitive! No idea who has the TV rights to it but seeing as the All Stars is on 9 I'd imagine they'd get the Nines as well.

It's pretty much going to be the same concept as the World 7s; so it will be a pool game/knockout format over the whole weekend. Pool games on Friday night and all day Saturday then finals on Sunday or something like that.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Early favourites

The hapless Wests Tigers are at shorter odds to lift the trophy than Melbourne and Manly next season. That's the verdict from sportsbet.com.au, which has released its market for the inaugural Nines tournament. The New Zealand Warriors will be the $7 favourites when the NRL pre-season kicks off across the Tasman, followed by Canberra at $8, and South Sydney, Gold Coast and Wests Tigers at $9. Canterbury, Cronulla, Brisbane and St George Illawarra are the $21 outsiders. The All Stars match has been shelved for next year to accommodate the Nines and allow players to recover from the rigours of this year's World Cup. However, the new competition - and it's $2.25 million prize pool - isn't a one-off. Promoters Duco Events are putting the finishing touches on a deal that will ensure the tournament remains in New Zealand for the next five years. ''This will be New Zealand's biggest event on many levels. A lot of work has gone into this and it's exciting to think it could soon be happening,'' Duco Events director David Higgins said.

The full sportsbet.com.au market is: $7 NZ Warriors; $8 Canberra; $9 South Sydney, Gold Coast, Wests Tigers; $11 North Queensland; $13 Roosters, Melbourne, Manly, Parramatta; $15 Newcastle; $17 Penrith; $21 Canterbury, Cronulla, Brisbane, St George Illawarra.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z2bbcWh6LP
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's the nature of sevens and Nine's footy. The teams with the flashiest outside backs dominate so Warriors deserve to be favorites.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

hampton would be good at this! fast and skillful