Matthew Johns: NRL salary cap

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Matthew Johns: NRL must fix salary cap

Life's too short to watch some of the matches on offer. Due to work commitments I take in every pass and every tackle, and it takes every ounce of self-discipline not to record some of the matches and fast forward through the muck.

It's time to lift the standard of the competition by rewarding successful clubs, rather than cutting them off at the knees.

The NRL needs to stop using the bottom clubs as a measuring stick to what everyone else can spend.

Sporting clubs like Manchester United and the New York Yankees are global brands because their governing bodies allow them to grow upon their financial and on-field success.

Our clubs work hard, win a premiership, then spend the next five years slowly being dismantled by a flawed system, which rewards mediocrity.

In American sports such as Major League Baseball, if a team is run better and is more financial than the team down the road, then they are allowed to spend more, as simple as that. Imagine the New York Yankees getting their cap cut in half, simply because half a dozen clubs were struggling to keep up?

The Israel Folau fiasco should be enough to trigger radical changes.

Here we have one of the NRL's most important teams, in Australian sport's most hotly contested region, western Sydney, and Parramatta weren't able to sign this superstar because he didn't quite fit under their cap.

The AFL had spent millions promoting Folau and we were about to get him back and his club of choice, Parramatta, couldn't have been more perfect, given they now can add the A-League's Western Sydney Wanderers to their long list of competitors.

Instead, he was allowed to go to rugby league's most traditional competitor, rugby union. And with the ease in which Folau has made the transition, he is basically a walking advertisement to other rugby league players, saying: "Come and join me. Half the work, twice the pay!"

Maybe that's what convinced Benji Marshall?

Meanwhile, Parramatta are hot favourites to collect another wooden spoon and hardly anyone's watching.

Anyone who doubts the impact Folau could've had at Parramatta need just look at what Josh Dugan has given the Dragons, Greg Inglis the Rabbitohs and Sonny Bill Williams the Sydney Roosters.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... =public_js
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

you cant let the rich clubs go all out like those overseas clubs mentioned. but i spose the NRL only do things by half, so if you ask for the extreme naturally the NRL will half ass it and reward the successful clubs a little more
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You can't use the MLB as a comparison. There are teams in the sport that pay hundreds of millions of dollars a year on their roster and they fail to make the playoffs, there are also teams who spend $40-50 million on their roster and they contend every single year.

I get wanting to fix our cap and allowing players to come back or stay, but using the Yankees for comparison is just plain stupid.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I enjoy watching the two biggest football codes in Australia (AFL and NRL), but I don't know why people compare them to the biggest sporting competitions in the US and the UK. With the way the competitions are run, the overall popularity and the money involved, they are both amateur and embarrassing compared to competitions like the NBA, MLB, NFL and EPL.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Interesting developments coming out of Cronulla re: Paul Gallen being paid in cash outside of the salary cap by a sponsor. On the 730 Report tonight.

Watch this space.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:Interesting developments coming out of Cronulla re: Paul Gallen being paid in cash outside of the salary cap by a sponsor. On the 730 Report tonight.

Watch this space.
They should have lost all their points and had prem.....oh right,lol its the sharks