LOCKYER RETIRES

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

darren lockyer is retireing at the end of 2011 he announced today...i will post the article asap unles someone gets in b4 me but using my phone so cant cut and paste

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Darren Lockyer announces his retirement
Brisbane Broncos NRL.com
Darren Lockyer has today announced that the 2011 season will be his final year in the National Rugby League.

Lockyer, who turned 34 last week, said he was pleased and comfortable with his decision to retire after 17 seasons of top-grade football.

He will leave the game holding nearly every record of note.

Lockyer, who became a father last year, said today he felt the time was right to move on to the next chapter of his life.

“I am still enjoying playing and am really excited about the Broncos and rest of the 2011 year,” he said.

“Of course it will be hard to leave my teammates and the Broncos’ organisation at the end of the season, but I know the timing is right.

“I have had a wonderful career as a rugby league player, but I just feel it is time to move on to the next stage of my life.”

Lockyer said he had no concrete plans for future involvement in the game at this point in time.

“Of course I will observe the game and watch what is going on, but at this point I am going to take a compete break from the day-to-day grind of the NRL,” he said.

NRMA Insurance Broncos chief executive Paul White said today was a historic day for the club as the Broncos began the transition into life without Darren Lockyer.

“We appreciate the integrity that Darren has shown and the way he has decided to make this announcement now, which will allow our fans to celebrate his achievement for the rest of the season,” he said.

“I think it is fair to say that we will never have another player like Darren Lockyer.

“He has driven success here at the Broncos, has been a tremendous achiever at both club and representative level, and has been the epitome of professionalism for not only our club, but our game.

“Darren’s historical place in the very fabric of the game of rugby league is assured and he has deserved every accolade he has received
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brisbane Broncos and Australia captain Darren Lockyer will retire at the end of 2011 NRL season
The Courier-Mail

Brisbane Broncos and Australia captain Darren Lockyer will retire at the end of 2011 NRL season.

Lockyer said he felt the time was right to move on with something else in his life.

The 34-year-old has no definite plans for involvment in rugby league

Of course it will be hard to leave my teammates and the Broncos' organisation at the end of the season, but I know the timing is right," Lockyer said of his decision.

"I have had a wonderful career as a rugby league player, but I just feel it is time to move on to the next stage of my life.

“Of course I will observe the game and watch what is going on, but at this point I am going to take a complete break from the day-to-day grind of the NRL."

Widely regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of the game, Lockyer will hang up his boots after his 17th season in first-grade.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The multiple premiership winner with Brisbane Broncos (1997, 1998, 2000, 2006) made his first-grade debut in round 13, 1995, a 60-14 thrashing of Parramatta.

Lockyer has played 336 NRL games for Brisbane, a record 54 Tests for Australia and 33 State of Origin matches for Queensland.

Former Kangaroos international Laurie Daley said Lockyer rated "right up there with the greatest players" to play the game.

"He worked extremely hard and was rewarded for it," said Daley, now a Fox Sports commentator.

Daley reflected on Lockyer's successful move from fullback to five-eighth, in 2004, as a mark of his greatness.

"He was probably the first to show that a class player in the backline could make a transition to the halves," Daley said.

"It is something players in the future will do a lot more as a result; guys like Billy Slater who have all the skills and have been mentioned before as guys who are capable of making the switch."

Lockyer confirmed at his press conference that he would make himself available for rep football in 2011
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i think he should have retired from rep footy the start of last year, but he has done some great things in pressure games that he will be remembered for, but about time IMO. be interesting to see how much space they have in the salary cap for next year, isnt the rumour he is only on 250k a year
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

One season too long me thinks :-D
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

While Darren has never been my favourite player, I can only imagine how Broncos supporters will take the news. He has shown great class etc in everything he has done for Brisbane, Qld & Australia. The guy will become an 'Immortal' in no time & like I said, though not one of my Top 5 players, he deserves all the accolades that he gets...
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Greatest player of the 10m era.