Super League thread

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I haven’t been to actual English super league games as such but I went to the World Cup held in England at all the grounds the teams play at The crowds were crazy AF and I had the best time especially following the Aussie team around ...but that’s a long story in its self
Utha
Squall
Squall

I attended the Challenge Cup Final last year. Was seated at the St Helens fans' end, and they believed (as all supporters of losing teams do) that the ref cost them the game. (It's funny when it's not your team being "screwed over".) But I was pleased for Warrington - they've lost so many Grand Finals and Challenge Cup Semis and Finals over the past decade.

The fans were absolutely freaking nuts. I loved it.

I didn't stay inside the stadium to watch the 1895 Cup FInal, but had a reasonable Indian meal at the Boxpark afterwards.

(Of course, Saints and Lachie Coote went on to win the Grand Final, so they probably had the last laugh in the end.)

So that CC Final is one off the bucket list. Next would be the Grand Final at Old Trafford - but that might have to wait till 2023, because (naturally) I'm hoping to attend the RLWC next year, as I did the semis and final in 2013. That is all dependent on the ever evolving situation with COVID, of course.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'd love to go over there next time Melbourne plays in the World Club Challenge.

Anyway, speaking of the Challenge Cup, Catalans through to the Quarters over a win over Wakefield last night.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/super- ... 5a420b35e3

Wow. Just wow. Words fail me 😂. Could this be the most interesting sponsorship deal since the under 8s struck a deal for a halftime pie during the seniors?
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Wow, sad state of affairs in the Super League.

Let;s hope they come out of COVID ok, rugby league needs a strong Super League comp.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Meanwhile in England....
https://www.totalrl.com/players-told-not-to-celebrate/

What a joke.... but they are allowed to tackle.. or is that going to be banned soon too? Tackling/celebrating completely fine here because the league/country knows that as long as they remain in their "bubble" then there is no threat of covid spreading. I even heard earlier this season they were thinking of rudding scrums for covid reasons in England.... who knows, they may be playing touch soon.

The Europeans/Poms have lost the plot in terms of stopping the spread of this virus. Its so stupid watching football (soccer) too, they sit 2-3 seats apart on the bench/wear masks etc but then go shoulder to shoulder against each other on the field.....

RANT OVER!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Pole wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:37 am I even heard earlier this season they were thinking of rudding scrums for covid reasons in England....
I thought they had done that.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Anyone watch the Challenge Cup final last night, Leeds vs Salford? Cracker of a game.

Very different to NRL this season, they have the 6 again but I don't think they police it as strict, only 1 maybe 2 six agains called all game, so it seemed the game was slower. LIke watching NRL a few years back? Still a very good game to watch.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Wolfpack kicked out of Super League

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -rejection

Absolute insult saying their welcome to join the lower tiers and work their way back up, they did this and deserve a spot in the topflight!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pole wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 am Wolfpack kicked out of Super League

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -rejection

Absolute insult saying their welcome to join the lower tiers and work their way back up, they did this and deserve a spot in the topflight!
I am extremely disappointed with this decision. I have kept a close eye on the Wolfpack since they started. I remember watching a documentary series on their first season that was on Foxtel. I have watched a number of their matches.

I agree Pole they worked their way up through the lower tiers and shouldn't have to do it again. If there is a new owner willing to takeover then let them go for it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently finances weren't in order but I suspect that was just the excuse. Covid, cost and super league clubs never really wanting them there have just found the excuse they needed to turf the Wolfpack.
Utha
Squall
Squall

The Wolfpack will likely fold now.

"Rugby league never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity." - League historian Tony Collins.

Truer words...

Robert Elstone and his cronies...I have no words for those lima lima lima duck.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Great quote there from Tony Collins!

Maybe we can have them in the NRL?? haha just kidding

Speakibf of which I'd love to see PNG have an NRL team one day.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

In other news Wigan has a new logo, first time in their history they have changed their logo.

I'm not a fan to be honest
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Apologies, it has changed in the past. But they have moved away from their tradition coat of arms style logo.

Give it 3-5 years and theyll go back I reckon.