O'Davis

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Just heard on Channel 10's Sports Tonight that Newcastle offered to re-sign their fullback O'Davis for one year at the generous rate of $8,000.

That is right, $8,000 for the year, not per game or per month but for the entire 2005 season. I didn't know he was so well thought of by the Newcastle heirarchy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm guessing they're going to rely on Mark Hughes or maybe that Seage guy.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

It is pretty poor form when you consider that he's been playing for them for almost 10 years AND he's been playing for them for the last few months with a fractured jaw!!

David Seage is a more then capable fullback, but you can never tell with a player when he comes back from a broken leg.
*Champagne football*
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

o davis is retiring at seasons end because of this
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

O'Davis has been around for 13 years. oh as for the broken leg, that includes andrew johns. same injury. :wink:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

NEWCASTLE fullback Robbie O'Davis last night vowed to retire at the end of the season after saying he had endured his final insult from the club.

O'Davis ... confused and shattered

O'Davis was confused and shattered yesterday at what he understood to be an $8000 offer from the Knights for next year.

Newcastle management denied making an offer and O'Davis's manager confirmed there was no official deal on the table. But O'Davis thought there was and was frustrated over the situation.

"The paper they wrote it on was probably worth more," he said.

The Knights veteran confirmed his first contract from the club in 1992 was worth $15,000 and thought he was being offered nearly half that for one more year. Asked about reports of the $8000 contract, O'Davis said: "That must be all they had left. I can't do much about it if that's all that is left.

"I can't comment too much more really - it hasn't sunk in yet.

"I've had a chat to my family about my future - or lack of."

Asked if he thought the offer was insulting, O'Davis said: "I think so. But I've had a good run."

O'Davis, 31, has given Newcastle stellar service, being part of the club's two grand final successes (1997 and 2001), playing 12 State of Origin games for Queensland and seven Test matches for Australia.

He has played 221 first grade games for the club and had set his sights on breaking former captain Tony Butterfield's record of 229.

O'Davis yesterday told his manager David Hall he would retire after Newcastle made it abundantly clear the club could not fit him under the salary cap.

The fullback's future has been under a cloud for several months after he told the club he wanted to play on next season.

Newcastle officials claim they had an understanding with O'Davis and agreed this would be his last year when they negotiated a deal in 2003.

O'Davis has been highly critical of the club for their stance and further drama erupted last night.

Although O'Davis spoke openly about the situation, Hall believes there may have been a misunderstanding.

"There was no offer as such from the Knights," Hall said.

"It was more an explanation of the position they are in salary cap wise and what they had left.

"I have since had a chat to Robbie and he knows the situation and has told me he is retiring.

"I think he has finally resigned himself to that."

Knights chief executive Ken Conway said it was always the club's understanding that O'Davis would retire at the end of the season.

"There was never any offer,"Conway said.

"We just relayed to his manager what our situation is under the salary cap to reiterate our position in relation to Robbie.

"It was always our view he would be retiring and I don't believe there was any opportunity in discussions with him last year for any misunderstanding there.

"He came to us last year and asked for one more year and it was granted.

"Financially, we planned it that way."

Conway said he hoped there would be an opportunity for O'Davis to go out on a great personal note.

"Our most cherished desire is for Robbie to leave the club celebrating in a fitting way his great achievements here," Conway said.

"Over 13 years he has given the club great service and helped us win two premierships.

"He is much loved by everyone and deserves to be remembered going out as a club hero."

foxsports
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]