National Museum Exhibition of Rugby League 2008

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hi Everybody,

I received the following email from my contact at the NRL tonight and thought I would post it here for anybody who maybe interested in contributing to the planned Exhibition. :D :D

Cheers
Bunnies :D :) :)

Hi All,

As some of you may be aware, the National Museum of Australia are in the process of collecting priceless rugby league memorabilia for an exhibition they are putting together to celebrate the Centenary next year. 

As well as showcasing artifacts from the game’s early days, the exhibition will depict rugby league’s transition into the 21st Century.  A large part of this is the passion and devotion you, the fans, give week in week out supporting your team. 

To represent this, the museum is seeking any banners and/or flags you may have to include in the exhibition.  They will be on show throughout 2008 in Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and Townsville.  This is a perfect opportunity for you and fellow fans to show just how much you support not only your team, but the game’s proud history. 

Attached is an overview of the exhibition, providing specific information on banner sizes and relevant contacts.

This is a once in a life time opportunity to become actively involved in the game’s Centenary year – I encourage you to forward this email to other fans and supporters of Rugby league.

If you have an item you or any fellow supporters would like to have included in the exhibition, please contact Cinnamon Van Reyk at the National Museum on c.vanreyk@nma.gov.au

Kind Regards,
Tristan

Help us celebrate Rugby League history

2008 marks the centenary of Rugby League in Australia. The National Museum of Australia, in conjunction with the Australian Rugby League, is developing a major exhibition to celebrate Rugby League history which will tour the country throughout the centenary year.

The exhibition will open at the National Museum of Australia, Canberra in March 2008 and then travel to the Queensland Museum in Brisbane for July/August 2008 and then to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney to coincide with the finals series in September 2008. Melbourne and Townsville have been identified as potential locations for the exhibition in 2009.

Footy fan stories

One part of the exhibition will recreate the look of a grandstand with mascots, cheerleader costumes and fan banners and reveal some footy fan’s stories.

To help make this area come alive we need more small to medium sized footy fan material to use as exhibition props like banners, posters and flags. Other material we could use would be wigs or other headwear/costumes in your team colours. Any material we collect would be used as exhibition props and disposed of at the end of the exhibition’s tour.

So clear your home of clutter and donate your fan material to the Museum’s Rugby League history exhibition. If have stuff in good condition that you think we could use we want to know about it. Please contact us and let us know what you have.

Contacts:

Guy Hansen Cinnamon van Reyk
Senior Curator Curator
Ph: 02 6208 5135     Ph: 02 6208 5107
Email: g.hansen@nma.gov.au     Email: CVanReyk@nma.gov.au

Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
Maccattack
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Why is this not being shown in Melbourne??
lotti

it might be shown down here but not until 2009.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Maccattack wrote: Why is this not being shown in Melbourne??
We don't have a 'National Museum' in Melbourne  ;D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
lotti

yeah but we do have a state museum, a state library(which currently has the Famous exhibition showing, I went the first day it was open) which could house it.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

It was a joke Joyce  ](*,)

If it did come to Melbourne it would probably be installed here
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields