Knights players upset with Brian Smith

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Blitzkrieg
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Article in today's Herald Sun
August 08, 2007 12:00am

THE rocky relationship between Newcastle Knights coach Brian Smith and senior players has reached breaking point as the club battles to avoid the wooden spoon.

Captain Danny Buderus admitted for the first time yesterday that Smith's decision to cut a swathe through the playing ranks for next season had caused widespread dissent and left morale at the club at an all-time low.

Buderus described the wholesale changes - which has seen long-serving players such as Adam Woolnough, Clint Newton, Josh Perry and a host of others shown the door - as "too much, too soon".

The latest moves to try to unload back-rower Kirk Reynoldson, two games shy of activating a retention clause in his $200,000 contract for next season, was the "straw that broke the camel's back" according to Buderus.

Smith admitted last night he is not surprised at the player unrest because he knew it was coming.

"No one is feeling great at the moment because it is tough times," Smith said.

"I'm feeling the same way myself. When the decision is made to move people on, and that is what I was hired to do as coach if it was necessary, there is no nice way to do it.

"I can understand them being upset about it.

"That is not going to change overnight. It will take some time (for the bridges to be mended)."

Buderus said the uncertainty over the future direction of the club had to be addressed.

"The players are upset, I won't deny that, and club management is aware of it," he said.

"We just want someone from the club to tell us where the joint is headed - what . . . he (Smith) is trying to do.

"This club has always been a unique club and the closeness of the playing group is what has made it so special.

"But we are getting away from what we are about. They can't just keep on wanting the boys to keep turning up each week if we don't know what is going on."

Buderus described the relationship between Smith and most of the players as "professional".

He added the playing group was aware there would be changes when Smith was appointed.

"I guess he is doing what the club brought him in to do," he said.

"He is here to do a job but we were already a pretty good club. We had some good things in place that didn't need to be fixed."

Asked did he feel Smith's job may be under threat given his failing relationship with the players, Buderus replied: "It's not up to us. The people who make those decisions must want this to happen, I guess."

Knights senior executive officer Steve Burraston said: "There is no question when you make some tough decisions on players that it is going to affect things and with the injury toll we've had and the fact we have lost some games on the trot now, it all affects the morale in the place."

But Burraston supported Smith,  saying the club believed in the direction he was taking in relation to the players.
Poor old Reyno, that's a bit rough on him, he doesn't deserve to be treated like that :(  He was a good, honest hard-working player when he was with us, and he's a good bloke too...
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

kirk was like my hero at storm. he was so.... odd looking  :)
[align=center][b]DAILY TELEGRAPH FANTASY COMPETITION:
THE BAI STAND[/b] (LEAGUE CODE: 867370)[/align]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Russell Coight wrote:Poor old Reyno, that's a bit rough on him, he doesn't deserve to be treated like that :(  He was a good, honest hard-working player when he was with us, and he's a good bloke too...
Kirk's choice.

He could have stayed with us but he chose to seek fame and fortune in Newcastle.
Brownzay
Squall
Squall

No Johns, No Knights
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brownzay wrote: No Johns, No Knights
i guess thats like

No lockyer, No broncos
Brownzay
Squall
Squall

They;ve lost like half their team over the last 2 years lol
Brownzay
Squall
Squall

Actully  I reckon Joey was Two-Thirds... My mistake :D
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Surandy wrote:
Russell Coight wrote:Poor old Reyno, that's a bit rough on him, he doesn't deserve to be treated like that :(  He was a good, honest hard-working player when he was with us, and he's a good bloke too...
Kirk's choice.

He could have stayed with us but he chose to seek fame and fortune in Newcastle.
Wasn't he concerned that he was being 'overlooked' for rep spots whilst in Melbourne  :roll:

And I think it's wrong to write the Knights off with the old "No Johns - No Knights" tag.
The thing killing the Knights is the same thing that killed Parra......................................Brian Smith.
Last edited by Bourbon Rat on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Brownzay
Squall
Squall

good point, he appears to  be pretty  popular with the players these days lol
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Milton Thigh-a-day has left the Titanic...I mean the Knights and it looks like football altogether.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/th ... 46612.html
MILTON Thaiday has become the latest statistic in the clean-out of Newcastle's playing ranks, only this time the player has decided to retire from professional sport altogether.

The livewire fullback's decision to pull the pin on his career has less to do with coach Brian Smith and more with an employment opportunity. He has quit to work with a program for indigenous children run by the Knights' major sponsor, Coal & Allied, and may still play park football.

It means he has played his last game in the NRL, after he was sidelined earlier for the rest of 2007 with a shoulder injury.

Thaiday could not take the job, which he has already undertaken part-time, if he continued playing professional football.

But the 27-year-old is also keen to escape the public spotlight. His battle with alcohol has been fought in the public eye, both during his time in rugby union with the NSW Waratahs and during his three seasons with the Knights.
from leaguehq.com.au
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Smith's team showed their enthusiasm for his coaching style and selection process on the weekend. Thumped by Penriff!!!

Hmm, Kirk's form must be very, very poor if he wasn't good enough to be picked for that side.  :lol:
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Woah! Kirk has missed out again for selection. He hasn't made the team for the Knights Round 24 clash with the Cowboys. I wonder what excuse Smith & Co came up with this time, after the Panthers game they surely can't use "poor form" again.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote: Woah! Kirk has missed out again for selection. He hasn't made the team for the Knights Round 24 clash with the Cowboys. I wonder what excuse Smith & Co came up with this time, after the Panthers game they surely can't use "poor form" again.
well reyno has gotten a lawyer involved in this so maybe thats keeping him out of the team
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

nacho wrote: well reyno has gotten a lawyer involved in this so maybe thats keeping him out of the team
Gonna get UGLY
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

why doesnt he just go to rugby union