State of the Game

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

We're only 2 rounds in, but it looks like the NRL is heading towards another year of shame and misery, and whilst the AFL are also experiencing their own issues, can the NRL keep going?

The Canterbury Bulldogs are in the midst of perhaps a bigger crisis than when they were relegated to last place 2 years ago. Not only are six players accused of rape, but another player has now been listed as a cocaine user. If this player has been tested by the NRL, a 12 week ban would have applied. Since the Bulldogs tested the player, they were fined $25,000.

Last week they sacked Garry Hughes - the first public victim of the sex-scandal. This week, CEO Steve Mortimer "resigned", although there is the signs that he was pushed by Bulldogs Chairman George Peponis.

All this has occured with only two players being publicly reprimanded over the whole incident - Brent Sherwin and Willy Mason were fined over wearing inappropriate clothing to police interviews. From all reports, none of the players have been cooperating, and one has flat-out refused to assist.

Of course, there have been allegations against Melbourne Storm players, whom have apparently been cooperating completely with police.

And on top of all this, we have several match officials stood down for glaring mistakes, and an administration seemingly incapable of making NRL clearly a national sport.

*venting frustrations*
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Buzz wrote:The Canterbury Bulldogs are in the midst of perhaps a bigger crisis than when they were relegated to last place 2 years ago. Not only are six players accused of rape, but another player has now been listed as a cocaine user. If this player has been tested by the NRL, a 12 week ban would have applied. Since the Bulldogs tested the player, they were fined $25,000.
Buzz, on SEN tonight I am sure I heard a representative of one of the newspapers (I didn't catch which one) say that the player that tested positive to cocaine was Willie Mason.
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Last time I checked Cocaine was an illegal drug to possess, thereby making a player who tested positive, a drug offender. For a club to then cover up the acts of a criminal would also constitute an offence.

The Bulldogs do seem to lower themselves to suit their own.
*Champagne football*
Silkin
Squall
Squall

All the Bulldog skeletons are coming out of the closit

My question is do we really need that sort of culture in the comp?

If they get away with it, without a Huge reprimand or to my mind a year or 2 suspention from the league then its not showing how serious these faults are.

Give the competition a shakeup make them aware that this shit wont be tolerated ...They are sowing that its the Culture at the club not just individuals. Mind you plenty of the fans take from the culture of the club out there & are shits as well.
Don't Leave it to Fate
She's a Fickle Bitch
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

who was the kid that the Rabbits axe couple of years ago cuz they found out he was dealing drugs?
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

I must say that I am sick of the amount of publicity that all this has generated.

where is the innocent untill proven guilty.

There only sports people. Its not like they rely on their credibility to perform the ir job eg Politician or police....

The HS has tried, found guilty and sentenced them already.(
Crap fasist paper)
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si