All Things COVID

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just a place to discuss COVID impacts to our club and the game more broadly.

----------

Starting with a doozy...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cho-j ... bf8cad2506

CHO Jeannette Young says NRL on final warning over alleged Covid-19 ‘breach’
James Hall
NCA NewsWire

NRL stars are one mistake away from being booted out of Queensland, the furious chief health officer has warned.

Queensland’s powerful top doctor has delivered a stern warning to NRL players and family members in the state’s quarantine hubs — one more “breach” and you’re out.

Chief health officer Jeannette Young’s stripping down comes after Daily Mail Australia reported allegations married State of Origin star Apisai Koroisau smuggled a woman he met on Instagram into a quarantine facility on two occasions.

NRL boss Peter V'Landys told 2GB the Integrity Unit had been notified by NSW Rugby League and would be investigating the matter.

“I probably shouldn’t comment at this point until the integrity department looks into it and provides with the due course and natural justice,” he said.

Authorities in Queensland gave NRL players and families travel exemptions to enter the state and allow the league to set up a hub in order to continue the season.

The extraordinary measure was approved after the majority of players were stranded in NSW as the Sydney outbreak escalated, but a number of reports of strict quarantine rules being flouted have incensed Dr Young.

The top doctor was asked by reporters on Friday when “enough is enough” for the glamorous players and families to be sent packing.

“I’m getting very close to it,” she said

“I’m very, very concerned about what is happening with these NRL players and you would have seen the imagery of the family hotel where they were sharing goods between verandas so I am very concerned.”

When pressed about what would be the final straw to order the players to get out of the state, she replied “if I have any more breaches”.

“That’s for all of them,” Dr Young said, referring to the interstate players and their families.

“This is too risky. We just cannot have people deliberately breaching the rules.”

The warning comes as Queensland reported one new local case on Friday, a Qantas crew member who worked on six flights across the state.

The QantasLink flight attendant worked on multiple flights between Brisbane, Longreach, Gladstone and Hervey Bay on July 11 and 12.

Chief health officer Jeanette Young urged all residents in the remote communities to come forward for testing as her team races to figure out where the infection came from.

“Those people who live in Longreach, Gladstone or Hervey Bay — it is really important that you come forward and get tested if you have any symptoms,” she told reporters on Friday morning.

“Just be aware. Similarly, we are working through with CCTV footage at the Brisbane airport and other airports to see who else this flight attendant might have come into contact with.”

The Qantas flights the woman in her 30s worked on include flight 2534 from Brisbane to Longreach on July 11, flight 2535 from Longreach to Brisbane on July 11, flight 2346 from Brisbane to Gladstone on July 11, flight 2331 from Gladstone to Brisbane on July 12, flight 2374 from Brisbane to Hervey Bay on July 12, flight 2375 from Hervey Bay to Brisbane on July 12.

She also stayed at the Mercure Hotel in Gladstone on July 11.

A spokesman for the NRL has been contacted for comment.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Yuck, can't we just talk storm here. Covid is everywhere else, doesn't need to be here also
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nobody is asking for your views on lockdowns or vaccines. The intent of the post is the various impacts to our club and the competition.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I’m calling it early - I don’t think we will be seeing the Storm in Melbourne again this year.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:14 pm I’m calling it early - I don’t think we will be seeing the Storm in Melbourne again this year.
Defiantly not while we have a lock down happy premier. Why would the Storm risk traveling back to Melbourne while always have the possibility of being forced to flee the state again. I'm glad to be holidaying up here in Townsville and having the chance to see them one last time this season!
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Incoming lockdown. Doesn't look likely we will see another game this year unfortunately. Was hoping for the eels one at least
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bluh
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It is official, the rest of NRL season will occur in Queensland.

Storm will play 2 of our last 3 matches at Cbus Super Stadium and 1 match at Suncorp Stadium.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Come week 1 of finals, I wonder if we get any say on where we play. I assume we would pick Sunshine Coast Stadium if given the choice.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would think the NRL will insist on bigger stadiums