Cronulla The Salary Cap Cheats

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Karma can really be a beautiful thing... The absolute clusterf*ck that is the Cronulla Sharks are expecting the outcome of the Salary Cap cheating investigation to wrap up in the coming week or so. Informally it is expected that the cap cheating is far greater than originally thought.

I will settle for them being stripped of their (only) Premiership and relocated to Perth :lol:
Last edited by yourhero on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f3f5c10bb2

Salary cap probe could force Cronulla Sharks to cut star signing Shaun Johnson
Fox Sports
Feb 15th 2019

The Cronulla Sharks face the prospect of being without star signing Shaun Johnson for the start of the NRL season as the salary cap investigation drags on.

Brent Read from the Australian reports NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg informed the club this week that the outcome of the probe may not be known until the end of February.

It would leave the club with little time to become salary cap compliant, should they be hit with a substantial penalty as has been widely speculated.

The Sharks could be forced to shed players to bring them under the cap with Johnson, the last player signed by the club, facing the possibility of being ruled ineligible for round one.

Johnson could also be forced into the open market with the Parramatta Eels and the Wests Tigers among the limited options available due to salary cap space.

The Eels offloaded playmaker Corey Norman in the off season while the Tigers are confident of overturning a $640,000 salary cap penalty handed to the club over Robbie Farah’s role as an ambassador.

Read reports there is mounting speculation the salary cap issues at the Sharks are worse than first thought with interviews with players and staff only being completed this week.

The Sharks came under the scrutiny of the NRL in August after self-reporting potential third party breaches uncovered during a club-initiated governance review.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cronu ... 97eeacfd55

Cronulla Sharks facing heavy penalties after NRL uncovers multiple salary cap breaches
news.com.au
26 Feb 2019

The Cronulla Sharks are staring down the barrel of big penalties after the NRL having reportedly uncovered salary cap discrepancies.

The Cronulla Sharks are staring down the barrel of a salary cap penalty of half a million dollars or more with the NRL having reportedly uncovered more discrepancies beyond the one it self-reported to the integrity unit last year.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Tuesday night that the NRL’s forensic audit of the club’s computer servers stretching back several years has revealed more than just the single salary cap anomaly chief executive Barry Russell reported in August last year.

As well as having a fine imposed, the Sharks could be penalised $500,000 under its cap when the Australian Rugby League Commission delivers its findings after meeting on Thursday.

That could mean bad news for hooker James Segeyaro, who re-signed with the club on a one-year deal on Tuesday after being cast into the NRL wilderness at the end of last season.

The Herald reported that the Papua New Guinea international has been given no guarantee his contract will be registered pending the outcome of the salary cap investigation.

The Sharks board met on Tuesday night to discuss how to handle any proposed NRL fine and salary cap impediment.

Cronulla are already appealing an $800,000 sanction handed down last year over a raft of emails previous officials instigated with former coach Shane Flanagan during his 2014 ban over the ASADA scandal.

Under the terms of Flanagan’s ban, the club and coach were to have no contact with each other until his suspension expired.

Flanagan will learn the fate of his appeal over his deregistration from the NRL later this week.

Russell met with the entire squad of Sharks players on Tuesday morning to discuss the cap issues, and co-captain Paul Gallen said the playing group remains unaffected by the drama.

“You wouldn’t even know there’s any issues as far as the team goes,” Gallen said. “We’ve been through worse as individuals and players. It’s not overly concerning, but the concerning part for me is that I suppose at the end of the day it will affect the players again.

“That’s what I find frustrating. I have got no idea what penalty this is going to be. I’ve got no idea if we’re going to lose a player. I really don’t know. I’m not going to speculate on that.

“[But] we haven’t missed a beat and training has been pretty good to be honest. I know there’s been a fair bit of outside noise, but there’s no issues as far as the boys go.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

F*ck taking some kind of morally superior, higher ground... I sincerely hope they are stripped of their only Premiership.
shorton
Squall
Squall

Salary Cap cheating goes back to 2013 but they keep their Premiership
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

$750K fine - $500K suspended if they don't cheat the cap again in the next two years. So really, a $250K fine.

I hope that feather doesn't knock them down too hard :roll:

F*ck this game, honestly...
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

so...how do the Sharks offload a player (Segayaro) who's contract hasn't even been registered yet...what a load of lima lima lima duck bollocks...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Utha
Squall
Squall

Not necessarily f*ck this game, but definitely f*ck this league. Game of rugby league is still great, but the NRL competition is a farce.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 pm so...how do the Sharks offload a player (Segayaro) who's contract hasn't even been registered yet...what a load of *lima lima lima duck* bollocks...
Seems like they signed him to not lose Johnson. Dodgy.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cheated in 2013, '14, '15 and '17.
Miraculously under the cap in 2016 when they won the title.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:11 pm Cheated in 2013, '14, '15 and '17.
Miraculously under the cap in 2016 when they won the title.
My thoughts exactly TC.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Has anyone alerted the Vatican? This could be St Flanagan's first official miracle!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cronu ... 6d915e0379

Cronulla chief executive Barry Russell resigns
news.com.au
5th March 2019

Just days after being touted as the club’s saviour, Cronulla chief executive Barry Russell has walked away, leaving the Sharks in an awful mess.

Barry Russell has quit as Cronulla chief executive after a turbulent year at the NRL club.

Speculation had been mounting that Russell, who self-reported the club’s salary cap breaches to the NRL which ultimately cost them a hefty fine, cap penalty and led to the exit of coach Shane Flanagan, would leave his post after seeing the Sharks through their crisis.

Russell’s decision to self-report the club’s alleged bookkeeping discrepancies reportedly resulted in him falling out with some senior officials at the club.

His decision to open the club’s books up to an NRL integrity unit investigation resulted in NRL boss Todd Greenberg suspending $500,000 of the club’s $750,000 fine for its salary cap breaches.

He said Russell’s decision had saved the club the full $500,000.

The Daily Telegraph first reported last year that Russell’s commendable decision had left him on the outer with some senior Sharks identities.

His decision to step away was confirmed in a statement on Tuesday morning.

“It is with great sadness that I inform Cronulla Sharks Members, fans and Corporate Partners that I have made the decision to resign from my role as Cronulla Sharks Group CEO,” Russell said.

“I will depart the club early April after ensuring we are salary cap compliant for the 2019 season.

“It has been a very tough 12 months, both for the club and for me personally. As you are aware, there have been several challenges we have had to face and resolve, particularly concerning integrity, governance, finances, personnel and structural change within the business.

“When I made the decision to self-report a salary cap discrepancy last year with the full approval of the board, I most certainly did not foresee all the issues that were to follow.

“As hard as it has been I did however remain committed to seeing the club through these challenging times and set a new course of proper governance and integrity.

“I’m proud that I’ve been able to clean this mess up and give the club every chance of success.

“We are now through this very difficult period and I believe the time is right for the club to have a fresh start and be taken forward in a new direction.

“A new CEO will have the opportunity to start with a clean slate, alongside our talented new coach John Morris, and build the best structure possible to lead the club forward without any negative remnants from the past 12 months.

“I’m so proud of what I have achieved over the last year and see this as a real turning point for the Club. It breaks my heart to walk away from a club that has done so much for me and I have a great love for.

“This has been my greatest honour. I will always operate with the club’s best interests at heart and I know this is best for our club and myself.

“My love for and loyalty to the Sharks remains forever strong and I want nothing but its long-term success. The Sharks will be a powerful force during the 2019 season and well into the future.

It comes after The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield on Monday lamented what he believed was Russell’s imminent decision to leave the club.

“I think he went in there, he cleaned the place up, he found a major sponsor,” Rothfield told Fox Sports.

“I don’t think his relationship with the board is crash-hot.

“I think it’d be a huge, huge blow for the Sharks, but I don’t see him being there for longer than a month.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Of course the senior Sharks officials white-ant out the one person in the organisation with a shred of integrity :roll:

This club is a joke and needs to be wound up asap. Zero integrity or regard for the game.