Cooper Cronk confirms he will play on with a Sydney club in season 2018

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is what I was afraid of.

It is over for us.

Cronk to expose Storm’s secrets to Sydney Roosters, says Craig Bellamy

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 3acc773058

CRAIG Bellamy fully expects Cooper Cronk to share Melbourne Storm’s secrets with the Sydney Roosters but says the halfback won’t know everything his former NRL club is up to.

After 14 seasons with the reigning premiers, the veteran joined the Roosters on a two-year deal after moving to Sydney to be with his fiancee. He went with Bellamy’s blessings, although the coach would have preferred he retired rather than lined up against the Storm.

“I don’t particularly like him playing with another team but it’s his decision and what’s best for him,” Bellamy said on Tuesday at the announcement his club would host Leeds in the World Club Challenge in February.

“I would have preferred that he didn’t but he’ll always have my support in whatever he wants to do.” After playing his entire NRL career in Melbourne, Cronk knows the club inside out and Bellamy believes the Roosters would benefit from that. But he said the Storm would be making changes to accommodate his absence and the departures of Jordan McLean (Cowboys) and Tohu Harris (Warriors) and would be tweaking their playing style.

“He can share a whole heap if he wants and I’m sure he will,” Bellamy said. “We won’t be playing the same style next year, mainly because we haven’t got him.

“We try to tailor the way we play to the strengths of our players so we’ll have different players next year so we’ll be changing a few things.” Storm newcomers including former Raiders winger Sandor Earl, who is returning from a four-year doping ban, have commenced training.

Bellamy said he’d been impressed by Earl’s fitness and attitude. “He’s in really good shape and we have to get him in good footy shape now,” Bellamy said.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's one game in the season and hopefully no Finals for them....big deal....

Craig will always be one step ahead of Cooper anyway...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Fast forward 10 years and unless they decide to go into administration; Cronk, Slater and Smith will be the three top coaches in the NRL sharing premierships between them.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cronk didn't pick Cameron Munster.

Rugby League World Cup 2017: How Cooper Cronk picked his Australian halves partner

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/rugb ... zm571.html

Michael Morgan's selection as five-eighth for the rest of the World Cup is largely down to the growing influence of his halves partner Cooper Cronk.

When coach Mal Meninga named North Queensland's Morgan at pivot for Friday night's opening quarter-final against Samoa at Darwin's TIO Stadium, he made it clear the 25-year-old had seen off the challenges of James Maloney and Cameron Munster during the pool matches.

Cronk that played a profound role in this chain of events.

Cronk took Morgan aside when they were in camp for the Anzac Test in Canberra and told him what he was doing wrong. Immediately, Morgan returned to 1300SMILES Stadium and asked coach Paul Green to give him more responsibility.

Morgan has spoken about Cronk's pep talk before, but he is now seeing the benefits of it as he becomes Thurston's full-time deputy, starting on Friday. When Thurston retires, Morgan will have first dibs on a jersey worn by one of the greatest players in history.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cameron wrote:Cronk didn't pick Cameron Munster.
True, he didn't.
He didn't pick Morgan either. Meninga picks the team with help from a few selectors. Senior players (especially Smithy) get to put forward their opinions but at the end of the day it's Mal's call.

The article has a beat up headline.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Surely no one is surprised that the form half of the competition got picked over a kid who's still finding his feet in the 6 jersey?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Finding his feet? You mean Munster. The current No 6 for Queensland and the Premiers and who has scored 2 ties in each of his last two games for Australia? I think he has found his feet. He is lso an X-factor like Greg Inglis whereas Morgan is pretty much the same style as Cameron Smith. Hence Australia go side to side without going forward. I want someone to run the ball from No 6 as much as he passes imo.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Munster hasn't done a bad job by any standards but I don't think I'm out of line in saying he isn't 100% settled into that spot yet. He's played one game for QLD (in which he did brilliantly and I thought he was best on ground) but there's still some work to be done in terms of his development as a genuine half by way of directing play, long kicking game and finding the balance between running and passing.

Morgan can do everything Munster can plus has a better kicking game and overall game management. And he's a lot quicker and harder to stop than Smithy. He's had enough X-factor to be the interchange utility for QLD for the past 3 years.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron wrote:Morgan is pretty much the same style as Cameron Smith. Hence Australia go side to side without going forward.
Huh? :?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thats what happened in the first match in Melbourne in the English game. Lets hope Morgan runs the ball more tonight.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You think Smith plays side-to-side and not direct? What have you been watching for 16-odd years?
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

When Smith has the ball he goes direct. But the whole point I made, if you read is that Morgan went side to side in the first two games.

Last night, he went direct and he scored two tries.

So I reckon he might have read my critique of him on this side and changed his game accordingly.
Cameron
Monsoon
Monsoon

Pearce off says Mitchell..

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/mitche ... 5c30f73e07

MITCHELL Pearce’s time with the Sydney Roosters has run its course after he was pushed down the pecking order by Cooper Cronk.

Pearce has played for the Roosters since entering the NRL in 2007, spanning an incredible 238 games and he helped lead the side to the 2013 NRL Grand Final victory over the Manly Sea Eagles.
Plenty of clubs are lining up to claim the services of the Roosters stalwart, but Manly looks like it has the early lead after moving on from its own five eighth Blake Green.
Green is expected to sign a lucrative offer to join the New Zealand Warriors.
Amongst the teams chasing the 28-year old are the Cronulla Sharks, Manly, Newcastle Knights while interest has also come from the Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos.

Detailing the toughness in the decision he had just made, Pearce also acknowledged just how excited he was for the next chapter of his career.
“Obviously, this hasn’t been an easy decision for me to come to, but I feel that it’s the right one,” Pearce said in the clubs statement.
“I’ve been with the Roosters since I was 17 and have grown into a man here. I’ve made a lot of close friends at the Club, and I’ve always been proud to wear the Roosters jersey. The Roosters Club and people there will always mean a lot to me, but I’m looking forward to the opportunity and challenge joining a new club will bring, while continuing to push myself to be the best halfback I can be. Now that I’ve made this decision, hopefully I’ll have the rest of my future sorted over the next few weeks.”
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why would we have an interest in Pearce? Do we need an extra ball boy?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not too many better club half backs the last 5 years than Pearce. He's obviously been a dick off the field and has never really come up with the right play in big games, but he'd be a huge upgrade to most teams.

Pretty keen to see Croft play regular first grade but Pearce under Bellamy is appealing to me.