I can't believe this hasn't come up for discussion yet.....

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

WILLIE Mason's unprecedented plan to boycott State of Origin has been brewing since he broached the subject with fellow internationals on Australia's disastrous 2005 Tri-Nations tour.

Melbourne Storm centre Matt King last night revealed the Bulldogs star's controversial proposal to players was hatched over beers in a pub in England.
And Storm co-captain Cameron Smith said possible strike action was a hot topic among players last season.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 23,00.html

Ok, this may or may not happen but I agree with the guys who think they deserve a bit more in their pockets when the NRL is taking in so much money from their efforts.  The salary cap could be increased across the board by a bit for a start - it's an absolute joke compared to the AFL cap.

I'm sure we can have a healthy discussion about it all.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
lotti

the NRL has just increased the cap to 4 million, an increase that the players themselves are yet to vote on because of red tape created by John Howard's new IR laws and the cap's there for a reason ok it does make stars go elsewhere but it's good for the game to have talent spread around.  Mason doesn't have to play Origin, the selectors can always go another way.
She's gone! The wicked witch is gone! Oh - I like snowballing too!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

lotti wrote: the NRL has just increased the cap to 4 million, an increase that the players themselves are yet to vote on because of red tape created by John Howard's new IR laws and the cap's there for a reason ok it does make stars go elsewhere but it's good for the game to have talent spread around.  Mason doesn't have to play Origin, the selectors can always go another way.
There's an argument that's been used in the ESL for a while now that.........
A Salary cap gives each team a level playing field
It Doesn't ! It brings everyone down to the level of the lowest/weakest club
It stops 'star' players asking for & getting outrageous sums
It Doesn't ! 'stars' are still being payed via 3rd/4th/spouse payments outside the cap
It helps foster juniors coming through
It Doesn't ! Rugby Union is stealing young talent after clubs have paid in time / effort / money to put them through the junior ranks,because RL can't match the 'silly money' RU is throwing around.

The NRL hasn't reached the destructive stage that ESL is at now,but it's getting there FAST.
NRL players can get a better deal by playing in Europe under the ESL's cap.What does that say about the monetary incentive level of the NRL's cap ?

Mason is the first to actually speak openly about 'strike action',though I doubt he'll be the last & I think the problem has been festering for awhile to reach this stage.
The players are saying 'if you don't want to consider open & logical dialog then a strike is the only option we have left '
I'm on their side - If it kills Origin this year then so be it !
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

If all the clubs have the same cap then there should be no problems about spreading the talent around tho.  
The point of what he's saying is not that Mason want's to strike but that the NRL is not listening to the players (and some of the clubs) about the fact that they do not really get a decent slice of the cash the NRL generates from their own hard work on the field.
I agree with some of his comments anyway.
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lotti wrote: an increase that the players themselves are yet to vote on because of red tape created by John Howard's new IR laws
Lotti, that is rubbish, the new IR laws have nothing to do with the players via the RLPA voting on. It has everything to do with the RLPA being useless, and when you read Kings comment he is pretty much saying so when comparing it to the AFLPA.

While I agree that the base payment should increase, I would like to see more of the 'new money' go to the promotion of the game than giving it to players...at the moment.

Until the promotion is better and consistent and blanket for the game and until all divisions of the code unite the players shouldn't get squat. And any player that wants to strike, no probs, ban them from rep footy for 4 years.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
lotti

not according to Brad Walter and Steve Kilgallon
Players have yet to vote on the deal because of red tape caused by changes to federal industrial relations laws, and Rodwell conceded there was a strong possibility they would now reject it.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

lotti wrote: not according to Brad Walter and Steve Kilgallon
Players have yet to vote on the deal because of red tape caused by changes to federal industrial relations laws, and Rodwell conceded there was a strong possibility they would now reject it.
Where did that come from lotti please?
lotti

an article I read on another website, it's from League HQ.  http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sa ... tml?page=2
Last edited by lotti on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Aaah - LeagueHQ which had Newcastle on the ladder twice, and is still showing a Top 9... Good source! :)

Players might be getting antsy about the new IR laws - perhaps they think it unfair to be dismissed for:
* Taking Drugs
* Bashing up people
* Stealing
* Taking a whizz in front of photographers

Damned those extreme IR laws! Glad all those in NSW voted against the (federal) laws. Way to protest!
lotti

Buzz that's just the begining of the protest, just wait until the Federal Election.  There's also another article in the Daily Telegraph.
Last edited by lotti on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Okay - Federal IR laws are a FEDERAL issue. For all those numbskull's (and I use that word lightly) who voted against Liberals / Nationals in a STATE election only because of those laws - you have been conned. Voting for state labor governments is not going to change the federal IR laws. Voting for a federal labor government WILL. If you threw your vote away on a state government election to vote on a federal issue - you deserve the apathetic style of government we have today.

And as for these "extreme" IR laws - whilst there are some things which need to be changed (moderated) in the laws - it's the rubbish coming from the unions which is worse. An employee I know flat-out refused to sign a contract that would have made several thousand better off. He's now decided to leave the company. More the fool him huh? Damned those extreme IR laws. If you wish to discuss this further - I'd be happy to take you on in the Dribble Bar.

Now to the topic - I can't understand how red tape from the IR laws is preventing the players association from ratifying their heads of agreement from last year? Sounds like Mason is right - they are useless!

The players deserve their pay (for their performances). But the moment they start brandishing strikes around the place and hold the game to ransom... Who in their right mind would sponsor a game subject to those threats? Would the game be getting their $90mil per year to strike during the Origin series?

The league already hands out $53.6 million to clubs to cover most salary costs. That leaves less than $37mil from that to cover everything else (I know they have more income than that - but the players want this pie) - and where does that leave junior development and game growth?

If Union wants to waste millions on players like Tahu and Rogers (based on tonights performance - he's even getting paid too much at the Titans) - let them. If the players aren't convinced that Rugby LEAGUE is their game - let them jump ship. You don't see AFL players jumping to Cricket because their contracts are worth up to $1mil or more per year? Why? Different sports. The last thing we need is a sport filled with Anthony Mundines or Brett Kimmorley. Bah it gives me the irits!
Stormwarning[c]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Buzz wrote: If you threw your vote away on a state government election to vote on a federal issue - you deserve the apathetic style of government we have today.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/454935051_b6f97f0eb1.jpg[/img]

[b]Get out of the closet, you know deep down your a Storm supporter.[/b]

[b]You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life....[b]
mrpc
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

To be fair, Debnam did promise to hand over state IR power to the federal government prior to the election.  That made IR a state issue in NSW.
Stormin North Queanbeyan!
Pal
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

mrpc wrote: To be fair, Debnam did promise to hand over state IR power to the federal government prior to the election.  That made IR a state issue in NSW.
I don't think this is about facts anymore.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Gotta love Brett White!!!

NRL Teams on Fox tonight mentioned this topic and they reckon Brett White's response to Mason's call for a strike was "if he doesn't want to play then let me, I'll play for nothing" or words to that effect.

:thumbright: