John Ribot making a lot of sense

Discussion on the National Rugby League and Rugby League around the world.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Rugby league administrators in this country would be wise to follow the advice of our former owner and CEO.

One administration for the sport for the entire country is what the game needs. You only have to look at the impact of the major sports in the world like in the US and Europe to realize that the structure of our game is not sustainable. Each organization always tries to play down the importance of another, no real coordination between each state, no united front to bring the game to the level it requires to survive independently.

We need a strong organization with strong support to put a stop to those making a joke out of the game, to face challenges from other sports, to allocate juniors accordingly, to expand the game beyond traditional borders, and most importantly to survive in this cutthroat environment of Australian professional sports.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I read that in today's paper and I'm sure Ribot's going to cop some bagging from backward looking Sydney personalities. Peanut brain and Fitzy come to mind.
Last edited by Surandy on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Las Darrington
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Thunderstruck said:
Rugby league administrators in this country would be wise to follow the advice of our former owner and CEO.
This idea bears the ring of truth to me. I also believe it is being born out by experience over here.
Its only three or four seasons ago that the big shots in the top clubs eg Lindsey (Wigan), Hetherington (Leeds), Caisley (Bradford) etc were bulldozing (sic) the game about to suit their own clubs' ends which were not for the good of the game and it's development over here.
Since the appointment of Richard Lewis, the game seems to have a more coherent image and sense of purpose. There also seems to be a greater sense of fair play. While SL still holds most of the aces, there does seem to be a realisation that the game has to be played well, organised well and sold well at all levels. The British game does speak with one voice now and it's because of this that its future seems more secure and its development more logical. The top clubs don't seem to be swaying the game backwards and forward, arguing between themselves for their own advantage. OK, we'll never agree on everything, for example I think admitting the French club is wrong, but at least there's no wrangling and ill feeling as you get when its a case of us versus them.
There's a good case then to appoint somebody who understands sport, business and the media to co-ordinate and front up the game.
It's then in all the clubs' interests as well as doing justice to this brilliant game of ours.
[img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/Barnowl/MelbourneStorm/Storm-Prmiers-Badge-80-per-cent.gif[/img]  [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/Barnowl/FeatherstoneRovers/Fev-Button-NL2-Winnersby-G-Las-D.jpg[/img]
Up the Rovers! Go Storm!
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ribot almost always makes a lot a sense... Super League was mostly 'his vision' after all.
I hope one day he decides to tell his story in a book... would counter-balance some of the crap that comes from Sin City.