Round 22: Knights vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm77
Squall
Squall

I know we lost for other reasons but I did some research on the 5 day turn around deal and taking out SOO time, this year when teams have to fly interstate (and I know we didn't this week although our situation this week was actually worse) they are 1-5 and on the road are 3-8 and overall are 10-12.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Blaming refs just makes us look like whingers. It is what it is.
We led the whole game and could not bury them.
Even when the commentators wre saying we had it won, I still wasn't convinced.
Must smash Cronulla now and have three tough games after that. If make the 8, then we've done well considering. Top 4 was there for the taking though,
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just some stats for this year based on games refereed by Ashley Klein;

* Storm have played 20 NRL games this year.
* Ashley Klein has been the senior referee in 6 of those (including the drubbings against the Dogs and Cowboys).
* We lost 5 of those 6 games.
* Of those 6, we have won one penalty count.
* This was "coincidentally" the only game we won under Klein's rule (Rd 2 against Panthers).
* On average, we concede 34.4% more penalties than we receive under Klein.

Save any further "stop whinging about the refs" comments. Stats provided purely as an interesting point... Yes, the refs did not let in the 32 points but to insinuate that the refs do not play a significant role in determining outcomes is ridiculous...

If you give one team significantly better field possession all, game, likely that team wins - pure and simple. If the penalties were due to poor discipline, I could cop that... I have in the past blasted players for exceptionally poor discipline. This was not the case on Saturday night however.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

He gave a penalty to the panthers but it was lucky for us that wallace missed the penalty kick at the siren.

If you ask me I think klown should be looked at for match fixing...
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Save any further "stop whinging about the refs" comments. Stats provided purely as an interesting point... Yes, the refs did not let in the 32 points but to insinuate that the refs do not play a significant role in determining outcomes is ridiculous...

If you give one team significantly better field possession all, game, likely that team wins - pure and simple. If the penalties were due to poor discipline, I could cop that... I have in the past blasted players for exceptionally poor discipline. This was not the case on Saturday night however.
Absolutely spot on. I'm glad we've also put in an official complaint against this merkin and with any luck we won't see him reffing our games any time soon.
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Would be great to track him down and pay him a visit or atleast give him a call to let him know what the storm fans think of his performance on the field.
I hope that the NRL take this seriously. Agree that if proven to be a regular occurrence by a ref it should be looked at as match fixing because the Ref has a massive influence on the out come of games. Not just the amount of penalties but when they are given. I am abit sick of the Refs being a protected species.
Every one else seems to be accountable for their actions.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I had written a lengthy reply during a break today.....of course my phone decided to lose all data connections as i posted it....o well....

It basically agreed with bellyache @ the press conference (shitty reffing, yes...but equally shitty D...).......my big point was the 2nd penalty given after the boys pushed a knights player over the sideline...i have big issues with that, as Craig said, anywhere else on the field, any other time of the game, that's a 'ok boys, bring it back to the mark and play the ball' type deal.......and to add to that, i don't know about anyone else...but i did not hear held (so i was off my seat cheering for the win...) called at all.....and the refs are mic'd up!! So how on earth could it be heard at the ground? I'll give the knights fans this much, they make a tonne of noise....and realistically (i feel) they brought the knights home....

I'm finally over the loss, at the time...not so much.......a mate wanted me to text him the results after the game as he couldn't get to a tv/internet connection.....my response was roughly; 'watch the news tomorrow....' with a few expletives :)

So....Wake up call that was needed?? Can't win a comp while letting in that many points......terrible anti-stormetic refs or not! I'm thinking next week will be a low scoring game - unless the boys put on a heap of points....because this weeks game can't be repeated - or i'll have to put my name in the 'red line crew' - if D like that is served up just one more time, forget it....they don't want it badly enough......Though at this stage, i'm still confident there's time to get everything right for the finals....which is where it matters.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I would like to pay ref 500,000 a year to get the best possible and have a judiciary for the refs minor mistake low grading one week back a grade loss of income , big mistake cost the game e.g. cowboys last two years 5 games back a grade loss of income. Pay more and expect more what do you think everyone else in the games is accountable.

Thoughts.
Also possibly a Dally M or similar for the refs.

As for storms D most teams would crack under a 0-7 penalty count boys and girls has their been any higher not many I bet and did they win the game not many I bet correct me please if I am wrong. We let in some tries in but a penalty count that is high, travel and short turn a round the last thing you need is the ref giving away two or three at the very end and missing the ones against the opp not to mention one of those at the death was against legal defence that was great to see that late in the game. And billy how many times do you see that go against the defending nearly every time. Again not our best game but would have won it if the ref would just ref to the rules.

PS not just our games either.
PSS also sick of refs coaching "I told you three times next time" $700,000 players refereed like 7 year olds FFS.
PSSS can some be just a little more constructive with the criticism of our team they can have proved us wrong more times than I would like to remember. Yes Sisa could stand a little wider and watch the winger a little more I think.

Rant finished
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Oh one more thing if we are all terrorists I am calling a G Spot on them all.