Round 19 vs Canberra Raiders

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Slater
2. Munster
3. Chambers
4. Fonua
5. O'Neill
6. Roberts
7. Cronk
8. J.Bromwich
9. Smith (c)
10. McLean
11. Proctor
12. Harris
13. Hinchcliffe

14. Norrie
15. Hoffman
16. Moors
17. Asofa-Solomona

We miss having these athletic wingers who pose an aerial threat, we never score off bombs anymore to the flanks, and Munster is a 1st grader, cannot ignore his form any longer. Hoffman should be used as a prop off the bench, and Asofa-Solomona needs to be unleashed, him and Moors being injected after 25 minutes or so would be devastating, time to play some footy boys!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Solamona wont play for a while, CB doesnt take the risks he once did.

Canberra are our bogey team, theyll scare the bee-jeebus out of us
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What we need is strong wingers and centre not little boys who will get run over...Munster got three try's against a team not even trying to defend

Marika did a good job so leave him in

Justin Oniell is not ready for an NRL game yet the guys i follow on twitter who were at the game said he was slow and missed a heap of tackles leading to try's

I'm not happy about Roberts at all but Hampton isn't much better so keeping Roberts in is better atm

I'd like to see Solomona or Britt to welch but I think they all need more time in reserves
Monsoon
Monsoon

O'Neill is our 1st choice winger and after a game in reserves was always going to be rusty but will no doubt walk back into the team, Cronk was rusty too 1st game back but we know his quality. Munster also proved in afew NRL appearances he is tough as teak and plays direct, and unlike afew of our other backs seems to have a real footy brain, Marika was ok but looked horrible under the high ball, and ran across field without making more than afew metres time and time again. As for NA-S, he has proven in NSW cup he can more than match it with fully grown quality forwards, age is irrelevant, he is good enough.
Kya
Squall
Squall

After our best defensive effort for the year against a genuine top two side and people want to rush in kids and players who are back one week from injury???
Seriously? We were slightly off in attack but credit where credit was due to the dogs.

In fairness to Cronk, Smith, Slater etc they haven't trained with MK at all and were backing up from an origin game, so I don't expect them to be at their best or to have the right cohesion for perfectly executed attacking plays with MK. Poor Smith looked knackered with 10 mins to go.

I was surprised at dropping Waqa and Hampton but if Hampton is leaving then I'd rather stick with Roberts who has been better overall and Waqa needs another few weeks to get confidence back at Easts.
Until he or O'neill are genuinely fit (as much as Waqa can be with his injury) and confident neither should get a game.

Have to say that Fonua was outstanding and deserves his spot.
Why Kenny was dropped ? I have no idea, but I don't think playing kids against large packs in first grade is the answer.
As disappointing as it was to lose, I thought it was one of our better performances for the year and if we play like that, the better attacking execution will come with repeat training sessions together.

Can't see why we would change line up unless there is injury at this stage. ( and Romelo should not be named on the list this week, only saw 1/2 game of Easts but he was full of mistakes in what was a scrappy undisciplined game)

One last point, can we even play the players people are suggesting? We got knocked back with Kaufausi due to 2nd tier salary cap restrictions.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

No need for such radical changes. Last nights performance was not half bad. Neither team gave their opponents an inch so it was just unfortunate there had to be a loser as neither side deserved to leave AAMI Park without two competition points.

Keep the same team for Sunday's game, except with Hoffman & Harris starting with McLean on the bench and we shall see a clinical performance.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Whats so radical about bringing in a 3 game NRL player for a 17 game player (Munster for Koro), a 100+ for a 10 game player (O'Neill for Mann), and giving a kid some minutes off the bench who has proven impact in place of a guy like Glasby who played 15 minutes and done sweet FA? 3 changes a week is about the standard for CB these days anyway lol. Fair enough in regards to Munster and NA-S but cmon guys, Justin O'Neill is back and fit, he has a game under his belt, how can he not come back in? A premiership winner with speed to burn and a rock under the high ball, he plays this week surely.
Kya
Squall
Squall

If o'neill has the fitness and timing to play at fg level then I'm happy to play him, but it has been suggested that he hasn't either of those things from the game he played yesterday after an extended time out with injury.

I actually think that Mann will go out of the team in the following weeks but has been promising in his first year but Munster, NAS shouldn't get in based on last nights loss.

And as impressive as Munster is, he needs a bit more size on him for FG and secondly while great for the tigers today, the opposition weren't exactly high grade. It was a mistake laden, undisciplined performance from both teams in the QCup.

I don't think we need to rush Juzzy back as I'd rather he got another game under his belt for conditioning.

My argument for not rushing first grade players is that they are not all at that elite fitness level. Watching Cronk, Smith and Slater gives you an appreciation of how elite, exceptional and professional those 3 players are to back up not only from injury but origin and impact the game the way they do.

Whereas I personally don't think that Juzzy is ready for FG straight away after what has been another injury ravaged year. I'd rather be cautious for a week or two and have him earn his spot back for the year and then finally tear it to shreds.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Moot as we can't promote NAS dues to 2nd tier cap
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm v Canberra RaidersSaturday 19 July, 5:30pmAAMI ParkBOOK TICKETS1

1. Billy Slater
2. Marika Koroibete
3. William Chambers
4. Kurt Mann
5. Mahe Fonua
6. Ben Roberts
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe
Interchange
14. Tim Glasby
15. Tohu Harris
16. Junior Moors
17. Jordan McLean

Really hope Mann and Koroibete get some ball because we're too predictable going to Chambers and Proctor.

Koroibete should be unleashed this week hope it's a dry track.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

<Insert complaint about player x being named on the bench here>

Team list Tuesdays aren't that exciting this far into a season.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm surprised Kenny is back in reserves. I don't remember him playing below his normal standard??
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

it's cut and paste as always, I'll wait until someone goes to training and reports on what's really happening (tag you're it Sallymay lol)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After the performance last week I doubt we'll see any changes. only possible changes I see is Glasby, Fonua (possible injury) or Mann.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'll see what I can do