Rd 16 v St George Illawarra Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Fonua = Bench 2nd rower, Micheal called it years ago lol
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:Fonua = Bench 2nd rower, Micheal called it years ago lol
this
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

That was a diabolical performance from the team. They had a long week to prepare and they perform like that. Sisa Waqa probably needs a few weeks in reserve grade as he's severely lost his confidence - it didn't even look like he was trying tonight.

And, why wasn't Harris starting? Blind Freddy could see that we play better when he starts.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

That was really hard to watch. I could tell from the first few sets that we were not going to win that.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What more can I say about this team at the moment other than this is simply Jekyll & Hyde. After such a good win against a decent team in Parramatta, we put in that crap against St. George. Extremely disappointing effort for pretty much everyone.

Examples: Silly last tackle kicks by Cam inside the opposition 20m, Proctor is a passenger at the moment and I seriously wish we got rid of him as he has been very quiet this year (now we’re stuck with him until 2018), the rest of the forwards were poor (eg. J. Bromwich had probably his worst performance this year, Tohu was quiet), Waqa had a complete Barry Crocker and is lucky not to be dropped soon if he keeps these performances up as he has been carrying an injury and is detrimental to the team at the moment (can’t score a try one metre from the tryline, terrible defensive reads), Fonua should be played as a bench backrower.

I know everyone is giving Hampton a bad rap at the moment, but come on – what else can he do??? We really have no one else. He’s played less than 20 games and everyone’s calling for his head, we need to persist with him for the rest of the year (or until at least Coops comes back into the team) and if by then he doesn’t perform up to the task, then get rid of him.

However, one of the only good things for tonight was that I have to give credit to Slater for how good his effort was under the high ball tonight in a wind tunnel (did anyone see the windsock in the background and the flags on the goalposts?).

Another note was that during Monday Night with Matty Johns was that they showed Cam having a hard word to the boys at the end of the game, that probably shows where we are at as a team at the moment.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:Another note was that during Monday Night with Matty Johns was that they showed Cam having a hard word to the boys at the end of the game, that probably shows where we are at as a team at the moment.
Cam did that 2 weeks ago and it lasted 1 week.

hhhhmmmm.....the guys only fire up after Cam sends a rocket up them ?

Not a good way to run a footy team....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Storm99
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Next game

1. Billy slater
2. Mahe fonua
3. Kurt Mann
4. Will chambers
5. MB
6. Ben Roberts
7. Cooper cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron smith
10. Jordan McLean
11. kenny bromwich
12. Junior moors
13. tohu Harris

14. Kevin proctor
15. Ryan Hoffman
16. Ryan hinchcliffe
17. FK
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

who are mb and fk?
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

FK is kafusi.

In other news. I am glad I backed St George at the -6.5 line, thanks for the pay day Storm. Get em next game fellas
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

kaufusi can't play because of the 2nd tier cap and once cronk comes back i don't think roberts can either
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

U guys are joking right

U know why storm keep losing it cause the team that has gone out to play every single week hasn't been the same at all from the week before

At no time this year has Craig sent out the exact same team and to be completely honest all this shit started way before the season started in the trails

Storm don't deserve to make the finals this year and the way they are going they won't

Just once I'd like to see the team kept together over a few weeks

And I'd love to see cooper and Hampton play together cause I'm pretty sure they have only played like 1 game together
toffee
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I was wondering how long it would take before some people came on here defending the inexcusable! It seems that as storm fans we aren't allowed to criticise anyone in purple, in some of the peoples eyes on here anyway. Just because people are commenting on the flaws of certain players, doesn't mean that we don't want them to succeed. Ben Hampton is the perfect example, we keep hearing that he is young, has only played ex amount of games, but he clearly hasn't got the confidence to play such a pivotal role. How old is Luke brooks...
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Mahe Fonua was clearly our best player. Yes his defence still needs work. But he was the only player who seemed to run hard and fast

Hampton's kicking was deplorable. And I didn't understand why he and Smith were doing most of the kicking I said at one stage that I thought Roberts should be doing more kicking then the next minute he put in that great kick for Mann's try. Roberts' problem is he runs it too much on last tackle.

Billy was good under high ball. Congratulations on becoming 3rd on try scorers list.

I love Sisa and he is our leading try scorer this year, but he is playing poorly. Even his defence which was one of the keys to winning 2012 GF has dropped off.

Why did we only start playing when there were five minutes or so left? We looked much better with Moors playing a quasi-five-eighth passing role.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think Fonua should play on the right wing outside of Chambers. Defending there might help him out and I think he prefers to play on the right anyway. I think he should stay on the wing though, there is a lot more scope for him to run out of dummy half there than there is from centre. His runs combined with his quick play the balls are his best asset and he does this better than most.

Either swap Waqa to the left wing or bring in Young or Koroibete for him. As everyone has said he has not looked anywhere near as good this year.

Also I disagree about the team being changed too often. If anything it hasn't changed enough. How long did Moors have to wait before finally being given a consistent crack at first grade this year. I think we missed the boat with him. He should have been played earlier and re-signed.

Hampton has got to go when Cronk comes back. He is clearly not a ball player. There is nothing wrong with his running game but his passing and in particular kicking options are very bad. Saying he is young is a poor excuse imo. A lot of the other young halves would put in a much better showing playing with Smith and Slater, even with out Cronk.

I still think it is too early to say that we won't be a force in the finals. What's frustrating is we have lost games against teams we should have beaten, but we have still beaten some of the better teams in the comp.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

toffee wrote:I was wondering how long it would take before some people came on here defending the inexcusable! It seems that as storm fans we aren't allowed to criticise anyone in purple..

Yes but some people go too far...not you just some fans