Ben Hampton needs to go

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bluh bluh bluh we won didn't we
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hate to break this to everyone, but, Hampton is in our top tier of contracts and Cronk is the only other half to be there so when Cronk is fit we will be effectively forced by virtue of the 2nd tier cap situation to play a Hampton/Cronk combination.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

he plays best at fullback. he can take a hit too, titans love going after him. he is young, he will get bigger n better
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the majority of ben hamptons performances have been in a makeshift storm outfit missing key players. Its hard for a player so young and inexperienced to get a new halves partner and be expected to direct and also create attacking movements.

I know thats his role but at the moment we cant expect the world from a kid whos finding his grove
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Agree with time he may be able to turn into a decent full time Nrl player.
But at the moment for our team its fair to say that Roberts is ahead with out a doubt. And in saying that Roberts should be given an extension on his contract to cover next year , we don't know alot about Green and after lessons learned ( well hopefully ) we need depth.....
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

nacho wrote:the majority of ben hamptons performances have been in a makeshift storm outfit missing key players. Its hard for a player so young and inexperienced to get a new halves partner and be expected to direct and also create attacking movements.

I know thats his role but at the moment we cant expect the world from a kid whos finding his grove
+1
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:Bluh bluh bluh we won didn't we
+1
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He has played like 11 games and expected to take over a team...also he was meant to partner Ccoper Cronk and I think they have only played like maybe 4 games together...people want to get rid of him when his doing the best he can with the team his got

I'm not sure why u wouldn't want to re-sign him cause wouldn't starting with a new 5/8 create the same problem we are going through now happen again next year...seriously give him bloody time
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:He has played like 11 games and expected to take over a team...also he was meant to partner Ccoper Cronk and I think they have only played like maybe 4 games together...people want to get rid of him when his doing the best he can with the team his got

I'm not sure why u wouldn't want to re-sign him cause wouldn't starting with a new 5/8 create the same problem we are going through now happen again next year...seriously give him bloody time
some people dont realize it takes time to build partnerships and confidence, they think it should happen in 1 pre season and be better than the last partnership that was together for a few years
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am fine with Hampton taking time to accomodate to playmaking in the NRL. That takes time to develop (some never get there) but I do not accept that horrible defence is something that can or should be excused on an ongoing basis.

Hampton in 9 first grade games this year has produced;
2 Try Assists
2 Line Breaks
2 Line Break Assists
2 Tries
14 Tackle Breaks
13 Errors
8 Penalties Conceded
155 Tackles
12 Ineffective Tackles
29 Missed Tackles (Storm highest of 2014) - Avg 3.22 per game

I desperately want him to shine while he has his opportunity. Forget about the limited attacking opportunities he has created or poor kicks, he needs to get his defence right asap.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hampton's poor performances have nothing to do with the players around him. He's committing fundamental mistakes, missing tackles which any genuine first-grade players should be making and is conceding crucial penalties. Not to mention his kicking game is putrid.

When you first make the grade, you have to show competence in the fundamental aspects of the game otherwise your NRL career may turn out to be a short one or you may be left packing your bags and heading to the inferior Super League competition.

For the time being, Roberts is our best player to accompany Cronk in the halves for the run towards the finals and ideally into the finals.

Also, with Blake Green signing on with us to assumingly play five-eight (otherwise I doubt he'd have knocked back a hefty paycheck in the Super League) a long career at the Storm is looking increasingly unlikely for Hampton.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Hampton is showing frustration at how he's been going too. I'm not saying get rid of him, but he certainly has some work to do, particularly decision making - both attack and defence imo.

I'm sure everyone saw him blow up at a bad pass he got last night where it bounced to him and he dropped it. Yep, it was a poor ball to get, but yelling at Hinchy who threw it isn't going to achieve anything. Shows he's passionate, but I know playing the game, the last thing you want to see on the field is teammates blowing up at each other when we're under pressure
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:I'm sure everyone saw him blow up at a bad pass he got last night where it bounced to him and he dropped it. Yep, it was a poor ball to get, but yelling at Hinchy who threw it isn't going to achieve anything. Shows he's passionate, but I know playing the game, the last thing you want to see on the field is teammates blowing up at each other when we're under pressure
Yeah noticed that. I thought he might be yelling at Ben Roberts though, not Hinchcliffe. Roberts let the ball go when it looked like it was intended for him. It appeared as though someone missed their place in a set play.

I doubt he would have blown up at a senior player and stand in captain. Well I hope anyway.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I thought it was Roberts also. I do not like to when players yell at each other and compared to other teams we do not really do it. I think it is a bad look.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Could have been Roberts - I just guessed Hinchliffe because he threw the ball, but would make sense if it was Roberts run and he didn't take it. Still not the most constructive way to address it.