Round 13 - Melbourne Storm vs Sydney Rorters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Proud of the boys efforts today. Well done Melbourne Storm.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know we were missing two of the greatest players in the sport but you should never be proud of losing by 20.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Inglis#3 wrote:Roberts seem to still be able to play well behind a 'well beaten' pack. If Hampton reads the papers he'll know that we have been linked with numerous five-eights so he should be aware of the need to perform. You'd expect a player fighting to be re-signed would put in a better effort than what he did this afternoon.

I would love to be eating my words regarding Hampton but he's not making me do so. His attack is too sideways and his kicking game was not adequate for a five-eight.
Did Roberts do anything in the first half when the forwards did not much? Why no, he didn't. He came on in the second half after Bellamy had put a rocket up the forwards and they started to actually make some ground. Hard to compare a whole game performance agains a half.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

TC wrote:
Inglis#3 wrote:Roberts seem to still be able to play well behind a 'well beaten' pack. If Hampton reads the papers he'll know that we have been linked with numerous five-eights so he should be aware of the need to perform. You'd expect a player fighting to be re-signed would put in a better effort than what he did this afternoon.

I would love to be eating my words regarding Hampton but he's not making me do so. His attack is too sideways and his kicking game was not adequate for a five-eight.
Did Roberts do anything in the first half when the forwards did not much? Why no, he didn't. He came on in the second half after Bellamy had put a rocket up the forwards and they started to actually make some ground. Hard to compare a whole game performance agains a half.
Roberts wasn't given the opportunity in the first half. He outplayed Hampton when he did come on so I can compare their second half performances.

There's no getting around the fact that Hampton was dreadful - please don't beat around the bush and come up with excuses.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

So how do we line up next week? Assuming Chambers is selected I'd expect -

1. Kurt Mann
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Mahe Fonua
4. Hymel Hunt
5. Young Tonumaipea
6. Ben Hampton
7. Ben Roberts
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Tohu Harris
13. Kenny Bromwich

14. Junior Moors
15. Felise Kafausi
16. Jordan McLean
17. Tim Glasby
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We lost the ruck, that's why we lost. They had fast play the balls and we didn't. Flow on effect contributed to 10 line breaks. We were out enthused. Disappointing on Old boys day in our best jersey.
Last edited by The Mauritian on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Inglis#3 wrote:I know we were missing two of the greatest players in the sport but you should never be proud of losing by 20.
We got within 10 points of a Roosters squad with a bunch full of Internationals. Also some of our lads have stepped up from the u20s, so even if we lost by 1 or by 51, I will always be proud of the lads. I understand that we don't want a mentality where losing a game is good enough however we are under some extenuating circumstances with a lot of our squad on the injury list.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

MENACING*STORM wrote:
Inglis#3 wrote:I know we were missing two of the greatest players in the sport but you should never be proud of losing by 20.
We got within 10 points of a Roosters squad with a bunch full of Internationals. Also some of our lads have stepped up from the u20s, so even if we lost by 1 or by 51, I will always be proud of the lads. I understand that we don't want a mentality where losing a game is good enough however we are under some extenuating circumstances with a lot of our squad on the injury list.
Yes that's true but even with the caliber of players we were missing I still expect a better effort in the defensive department which is the most disappointing aspect of today. Also, there were a number of players who could've contributed a lot more than they did.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Regarding our defense, we're missing Slater and Cronk who are a big part of the defensive structure.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

No doubt but that doesn't excuse the available players from missing tackles and also not completing tackles.

Only players I believe who can genuinely hold their head up high after todays performance are Mann, J.Bromwich, Chambes, Hoffman and Roberts.

Garbutt's decision to concentrate on engaging in a melee with an opposition player rather than focusing his attention on playing the ball properly was disgusting and gives a hint as to why Bellyache hasn't given him a regular position in the side.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:Roberts wasn't given the opportunity in the first half. He outplayed Hampton when he did come on so I can compare their second half performances.

There's no getting around the fact that Hampton was dreadful - please don't beat around the bush and come up with excuses.
Can I ask you what your expectations are of Hampton every game ? I know we've been lucky over the years with guys who come in from day 1 and look like nrl stars so we're used to seeing amazing performances from young players, but to say his performance was dreadful ? Please. Does his execution need to get better ? Absolutely. Would I like to see him take control of the team better ? Yep, no doubt there. Is he only 22 and playing in his 10th NRL game ? Yep. Without a recognized dominate half ? Yep.
He laid on a great short ball to Proctor which maybe with Slater playing leads to a try. His inside ball (which wasn't forward btw) to Mann was another nice play. Sometimes things don't go your way. But still positives to work on.

As for Roberts. I've been fair on his performances all season. Some games he's below average like last week and sometimes he's not. He provided a nice spark off the bench today. His two balls that lead to tries today were beauties. Also had a dumb forward pass to even up the good and bad a bit. Anyway... to compare those two players is stupid. Both aren't setting the world on fire but one has only has 10 games of nrl experience and can do just as much as the one who has played over 100. I know which one I'd prefer moving forward.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote:
Inglis#3 wrote:Roberts wasn't given the opportunity in the first half. He outplayed Hampton when he did come on so I can compare their second half performances.

Can I ask you what your expectations are of Hampton every game ? I know we've been lucky over the years with guys who come in from day 1 and look like nrl stars so we're used to seeing amazing performances from young players, but to say his performance was dreadful ? Please. Does his execution need to get better ? Absolutely. Would I like to see him take control of the team better ? Yep, no doubt there. Is he only 22 and playing in his 10th NRL game ? Yep. Without a recognized dominate half ? Yep.
He laid on a great short ball to Proctor which maybe with Slater playing leads to a try. His inside ball (which wasn't forward btw) to Mann was another nice play. Sometimes things don't go your way. But still positives to work on.

As for Roberts. I've been fair on his performances all season. Some games he's below average like last week and sometimes he's not. He provided a nice spark off the bench today. His two balls that lead to tries today were beauties. Also had a dumb forward pass to even up the good and bad a bit. Anyway... to compare those two players is stupid. Both aren't setting the world on fire but one has only has 10 games of nrl experience and can do just as much as the one who has played over 100. I know which one I'd prefer moving forward.
I just want him to play good football. His attack is very disjointed and the majority of time he is running across field with very minimal penetration. His kicking game is obviously not up to the standard of a first grade half and in defense he's frequently unable to wrap up the ball carrier.

I disagree with you saying the ball from him to Mann wasn't forward either - I thought it was forward as Mann was ahead of Hampton when he threw the inside pass.

Ben Roberts has been provided us with more in his limited game time than Hampton has. No doubt in my mind about that.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Haha of course. Agree to disagree then.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've had colonoscopies more enjoyable than that first half.

Our defence is atrocious. No line speed to speak of, we were on our heels all game waiting for the Roosters players to come to us. Yet when we had the ball, they were in our face. The backs are always going to have a rough night when the blokes up front aren't delivering.

Having said that, there is no excusing the missed tackles. When did the Melbourne Storm defence become a consistently sloppy, lazy defensive structure, beaten in the ruck in almost every facet???
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Also worth noting is the disparity in the metres gained between our two starting props each week is ridiculous. Today Norrie had 40 metres v Bromwich's 132.