Cody Walker gone

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
cayal
Squall
Squall

South Sydney Storm strike again.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Has anyone read anything official? Im yet to see anything other than whats on this site
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:Has anyone read anything official? Im yet to see anything other than whats on this site
Nothing on either club's website but it is being reported.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cody-w ... 6941267548

Cody Walker signs with South Sydney Rabbitohs

IN A sign of how gifted he is, 24-year-old Queensland playmaker Cody Walker has knocked back two NRL clubs to sign with South Sydney.

Walker has agreed to terms with the Rabbitohs for two years starting next season, rejecting interest from the Melbourne Storm and the Gold Coast Titans.

Walker has come of age at the Easts Tigers under Craig Ingebrigtsen and is the rare case of a mid-20s playmaker being chased by NRL clubs.

Melbourne tabled what it thought was a competitive offer to keep Walker but it is understood Souths offered significantly more.

It is understood the Storm were not happy when told of Walker’s decision to sign elsewhere.

They have invested in Walker for the past year and while he is yet to play NRL they viewed him as their long-term five-eighth.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy typically prefers players spend up to a year in his system before debuting.

Walker was expected to see NRL action when he returned from a hamstring complaint this month but that may now be in jeopardy.

Bellamy has opted for Ben Hampton to partner Cooper Cronk at the scrumbase and preferred veteran Ben Roberts to Walker earlier this season.

Walker enjoys Melbourne but wants to be closer to his Sydney family.

The Rabbitohs have bought the 24-year-old because they need back-up in case the Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary halves combination does not fire next year.

Walker will have to fight to earn his spot but the Rabbitohs are concerned Reynolds and Keary’s lack of size could be exploited.

South Sydney were caught short this year when Keary suffered a pectoral injury on the eve of the season and they had to play centre Dylan Walker in the halves before reverting to John Sutton.

The chase for Walker’s signature proves how strong the Intrust Super Cup is as a breeding ground for NRL players.

Sydney clubs are now regularly sending scouts to Cup games, with several players presently negotiating deals.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:
nacho wrote:Has anyone read anything official? Im yet to see anything other than whats on this site
Nothing on either club's website but it is being reported.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cody-w ... 6941267548

Cody Walker signs with South Sydney Rabbitohs

IN A sign of how gifted he is, 24-year-old Queensland playmaker Cody Walker has knocked back two NRL clubs to sign with South Sydney.

Walker has agreed to terms with the Rabbitohs for two years starting next season, rejecting interest from the Melbourne Storm and the Gold Coast Titans.

Walker has come of age at the Easts Tigers under Craig Ingebrigtsen and is the rare case of a mid-20s playmaker being chased by NRL clubs.

Melbourne tabled what it thought was a competitive offer to keep Walker but it is understood Souths offered significantly more.

It is understood the Storm were not happy when told of Walker’s decision to sign elsewhere.

They have invested in Walker for the past year and while he is yet to play NRL they viewed him as their long-term five-eighth.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy typically prefers players spend up to a year in his system before debuting.

Walker was expected to see NRL action when he returned from a hamstring complaint this month but that may now be in jeopardy.

Bellamy has opted for Ben Hampton to partner Cooper Cronk at the scrumbase and preferred veteran Ben Roberts to Walker earlier this season.

Walker enjoys Melbourne but wants to be closer to his Sydney family.

The Rabbitohs have bought the 24-year-old because they need back-up in case the Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary halves combination does not fire next year.

Walker will have to fight to earn his spot but the Rabbitohs are concerned Reynolds and Keary’s lack of size could be exploited.

South Sydney were caught short this year when Keary suffered a pectoral injury on the eve of the season and they had to play centre Dylan Walker in the halves before reverting to John Sutton.

The chase for Walker’s signature proves how strong the Intrust Super Cup is as a breeding ground for NRL players.

Sydney clubs are now regularly sending scouts to Cup games, with several players presently negotiating deals.
What a load of nonsense. If this was indeed the case then why have we been playing Hampton at five-eight?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

What a waste.
Can't blame the kid for going; how much longer was he expected to wait? It was obvious to blind Freddy that he wasn't Bellamy's second or even third choice behind Hampton. And given the fact that we had discussions with Benji, and last weekend's articles about Storm looking at other clubs before the June 30 deadline, probably further down the list than that. :evil:

South's may have offered more money, but I would think that what sealed the deal was opportunity - at the Bunnies he might get one.

I've been a big fan of Cody for a couple of years, and honestly thought he was the solution at 5/8. Very f#%@ing unimpressed.

This will come back and bite us.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

My sentiments exactly, TC. Glad to see someone in exact agreement with myself about what a wasteful project Cody has turned out to be due to no fault of his own whatsoever.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It's hard to comment on Walker as we aren't with the team day in and out like Bellamy and the coaching staff.

I trust Craig's judgement that Cody's not ready physically or mentally for first grade yet.

Maybe we're holding funds back to throw karmichael hunt for next season anyway.
Kya
Squall
Squall

Oh please, it's a news limited article, don't trust it word for word.
He isn't happy in Melbourne and since he tried to get released from his contract in April, I dare say it's MORE than about first grade appearances.

FACT his partner and child live in Sydney with family and DID not move here even though Cody choose to play here despite the fact that both Titans and Souths were after him last year knowing he was competing with Hampton for 5/8th spot and would be given opportunities through origin period.

Souths had him back on the radar the moment Keary was injured, a place he overlooked knowing he would likely be lower in the peckng order( and will be next year when Keary and Reynolds as well as Sutton are ahead of him).

He was gone the moment Souths came after him. he has a support network and a family in Sydney and with Keary injured if he had gotten a release would be playing for Souths now but we made him honour his contract.

His first opportunity at first grade was to be weeks ago but he injured himself so poor luck to him but he would be playing first grade or at least had the opportunity had this not occurred.

Secondly we didn't have full on discussions with Benji, we had interest but were never signing him beyond this year ( at the time Roberts got injured and added further strain to players available during origin period) but he wanted a longer contract.
The club was interested but several members of the coaching staff including Craig were not enthusiastic, it was very much if you can get him cheap...., we moved on but would have been fools not to do due diligence especially considering our predicament of injuries. (Personally grateful he wasn't picked up)

Sorry he hasn't had a opportunity to play but if he stays injury free will get his chance this year, but unless Keary is injured I'm not sure that he will be seeing too much game time at Souths next year because quite frankly Sutton's best position is 5/8th and is defensively better than Keary or Walker.

He made a decision to try his luck here but even if he had played first grade all year, if the money was similar or better, he was going to a Sydney club or back to a Queensland club next year where he and his partner and their children have family.

The reality is Cody would have saved himself and the club some time by signing with Titans or Souths last year but he knew what the situation was when he signed the contract of having to unseat Hampton from the spot and the reality is, he wasn't prepared to move his family here, so clearly the adjustment was too big for him.
It happens...,
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

+1 Kya, saves me having to write exactly the same thing in response to those who think the club didn't give Cody a real shot. I swear it seems that some people here have completely forgotten about his ill-timed injury and the fact that he wanted out of Melbourne months ago.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I take it $ouf$ don't have a salary cap?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

none whatsoever
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

routy21 wrote: I trust Craig's judgement that Cody's not ready physically or mentally for first grade yet..
Definitely not ready physically...they two time he was meant to play he has broken down at training and didn't even play on the weekend due to a third hammy strain
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:
Definitely not ready physically...they two time he was meant to play he has broken down at training and didn't even play on the weekend due to a third hammy strain
A badly managed hamstring injury hardly means someone isn't physically ready for first grade.
May I submit into evidence one Robbie Ross Esq? After 2000 he missed nearly as many games as he played.
It took them two years to work out he had a lower back problem, by which time it was too late.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That being said the field of sports science and how to diagnose/treat/manage injuries has advanced dramatically in the decade plus since Robbie was going through his injury problems. I've always thought that these days the club has always erred on the side of caution when it comes to easing players back in from injury and have always been very good at managing injuries so maybe it's just a case that the bloke has chronic hamstring problems as opposed to bad management.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's highly unlikely that the club would've let him play if they didn't think he was 100% ready to. There's any number of tests they do these days to see if a player is over whatever injury they have which i'm sure he took and passed before his hammy went yet again. He wouldn't be the first sportsman to have chronic hamstring issues (if that's the case) and i'm sure he won't be the last.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This has been confirmed by the club if there was still some uncertainty.

In the email about origin stars backing up this week it was a link down the bottom.

2 year deal with souffs