Looking for a half to finish the year

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

In the paper today it's saying that Bellamy is trying to find a half to sign before June 30 for the remainder of the year.
And also in today's paper there is an article on Arana taumata and how he lost his way ur has since found peace and happiness and is ready to ignite his nrl career again. Surely he would be cheap and we had faith in him before knowing he was a bad boy. If he has fixed his personal problems and is ready to play footy then I say give him a crack Craig! Thoughts? And is there anyone else out there that u would want to wear our #purplepride??
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

luke kelly may be willing to come back if he's not going to get a game at parra, as a quick fix he'd be ok
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Maybe signing Benji wasn't a bad idea after all. Too bad we can't do that now.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

not sure why the club would go luke kelly. dont look backwards and expect to progress
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Still rather just go with what we have. Roberts/Walker/Hampton/Mann/Smith/Munster can all play in the halves if we need them.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mortimer and Green are my suggestions if we do ultimately decide to go down the path of signing a half. But I would just wait for Cody Walker to recover and give him a long overdue debut and based off what I've seen him do in the Qcup for 3 years, he'll thrive and cement a position.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:not sure why the club would go luke kelly. dont look backwards and expect to progress
Not saying he's the future, just a short term injury crisis quick fix, whilst he won't set the world on fire the one strength of him is that he can play to a structure.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Best short term solution would be to blood an unknown player who will be there long term.
Arana Taumata is no different from say, Cody Walker getting a run.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So looking through the lower grades, I see the following halves named for various teams, I do not know their contractual status'.

Aaron Groom (Asquith) - he played for Fiji at the World Cup and did a decent job.
Liam Foran (Wentworthville) - he is capable of doing a job, though personally I wouldn't go down this path.
Matt Keating (Burleigh) - has a bit of fg experience.
Grant Giess (Easts Tigers) - a few of you have said that he goes all right.
Tom Humble (Penrith) - has done some good things the couple of times I've seen him play.
Sam Williams (Illawarra) - on the outer now that Benji has signed.
Matt Minto (Newcastle) - I saw him play some good games in Q Cup last year.
Carlos Tuimavave (Warriors) - erratic but, can be a match winner.
Arana Taumata (Newtown) - as above, also has some well documented discipline issues.
Luke Kelly (Wentworthville) - can play to a structure.
Penani Manumalealii (Cronulla) - improving but raw.

If we want to sign a half before June 30 then I guess those look like the best options.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Matt Minto is a really solid player. I'd love to see him in purple.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I strongly believe Daniel Mortimer who's not getting regular game time for the Chooks would be a great acquisition. However, not sure if he'd want to make the move South if he's not guaranteed a position when Coops returns. Also, he's probably getting paid overs at the Roosters so not sure if we could match what he's being paid currently.
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:I strongly believe Daniel Mortimer who's not getting regular game time for the Chooks would be a great acquisition. However, not sure if he'd want to make the move North if he's not guaranteed a position when Coops returns. Also, he's probably getting paid overs at the Roosters so not sure if we could match what he's being paid currently.
lol, he'd be coming south, but you make some good points there. I can only think that the way we might get him would be a deal similar to the Finch deal in '09 where we only pay a percentage of his salary for the rest of the year.
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I was speaking to a mate of mine about Mortimer this weekend. He is mates with Daniel and apparently he is a strong chance of moving to Canberra?? I would love to see him in purple as he would be a great 6 and I believe a better 7 in years to come. Fingers crossed I guess!!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mattpoet - Lol, I got a bit confused there - I live in the land of the long white cloud!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:So looking through the lower grades, I see the following halves named for various teams, I do not know their contractual status'.

Aaron Groom (Asquith) - he played for Fiji at the World Cup and did a decent job.
Liam Foran (Wentworthville) - he is capable of doing a job, though personally I wouldn't go down this path.
Matt Keating (Burleigh) - has a bit of fg experience.
Grant Giess (Easts Tigers) - a few of you have said that he goes all right.
Tom Humble (Penrith) - has done some good things the couple of times I've seen him play.
Sam Williams (Illawarra) - on the outer now that Benji has signed.
Matt Minto (Newcastle) - I saw him play some good games in Q Cup last year.
Carlos Tuimavave (Warriors) - erratic but, can be a match winner.
Arana Taumata (Newtown) - as above, also has some well documented discipline issues.
Luke Kelly (Wentworthville) - can play to a structure.
Penani Manumalealii (Cronulla) - improving but raw.

If we want to sign a half before June 30 then I guess those look like the best options.
Well Taumata and Foran have played with us before so doubt we'd go there and Foran usually plays Hooker.
I like Sam Williams and Tom Humble from that list.