Kurt Mann Fan Club

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mann's first contact wasn't that flash. He missed a couple of tackles and was ineffective on a number of others. Credit to him, he did well to chase his man down though when he was beat first up.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Mann did very, very well on debut. I hope he stays next week and continues to develop. Just that there were defensive frailties there not a dominant defensive effort (the impression I get from some posts).

When Bobby Blair came back in to first grade against Manly, that was a great defensive effort (on Matai as well coincidently). The main difference being Blair hit and stuck (also not Blair's NRL debut to be fair ;) )

Mann looked comfortable in first grade and was hungry to get involved. That is a great sign.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

He did a very good job of not allowing Matai to get on the outside of him which Matai is very adept at doing to his opponents. The only time that sticks out where Mann did allow Matai to beat him on his outside was the time which lead to the Taufua try, which did still take a piece of brilliance from Jorge for them to score.

Mann's tenacity is what impresses me the most. He looked incredible fatigued at times last night, I remember mentioning to my brother a few minutes before the try that he even looked like he was struggling to breathe slightly but it's testament to his character that he continued to scrap, first to tackle Stewart in goal to force the dropout and then his subsequent four-pointer which he scored through sheer desperation to get to the ball before anyone else did.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mann laid 8 one on one tackles, that's the most in the team.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The beauty about players such as Mann, who most likely were always overlooked initially because of size, is that they stand out because of the fundamentals of the game they have mastered. Hampton too, he is a great one on one tackle for a man of his stature.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

His tackle on Brett Stewart to ensure we received a goal-line dropout was stellar and will not be forgotten from me anytime soon. Can't wait too see how well he plays this week, hopefully the team entrust him with a bit more ball as he'll either be up against (assuming he remains at centre) Auva'a or Walker, both also inexperienced centres who've, particularly Walker, showed to have defensive issues since being in the top grade.
Crooner
Squall
Squall

Much better centre than O'Neil
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Crooner wrote:Much better centre than O'Neil
Currently, yes - if/when O'Neill gets back to his best is a different story. Sadly, Chambers, Sisa & O'Neill have all been down on form for a while now regardless of the reasons why, and it's hurt us more than our lacklustre forwards in my opinion. Can't wait to have McLean back!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:His tackle on Brett Stewart to ensure we received a goal-line dropout was stellar
Absolutely and without that tackle being made, we probably struggle to get into good position for another try.
Insomniac wrote:Can't wait to have McLean back!
Hell yes. Two more games without him.
JimmyThunder
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Excellent game from the kid nothing but wraps on him week in week out that why I have been pushing for him to play. The kid has a big motor and he proved it on Saturday night :lol: