Rd.8 ANZAC DAY - Melbourne Storm vs NZ Warriors

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm D is shit. It has to go.

The Worriers who act like bogans at the Anzac Day game can pi$$ off ...we don't want or need them.

Frustrating team performance all round....and from every point of view. Time for an honesty session methinks.

Too tired and emotional from watching a number of our guys audition to be turnstiles at Coles or Woolies to say anything else.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storma01 wrote: And 5/8 first Hampton who started the season ok but has really dropped off and his D is terrible to Roberts who I thought would do ok for us has done nothing in attack but can defend pretty good, yet there is a kid by the name of walker waiting in the wings and absolutely carving up in qld and belly wants mor consistency??
Lol. Hampton was our best back tonight. His defense 1on1 was superb as well. The criticism he gets is way out of line for a young player. What more do you want ?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mahe's 6 missed tackles were painful tonight. He had been playing decent at centre up until last week. Poor decisions.

The up and in defensive structure has served us well but if the new rules are going to keep the game at a frenetic pace, this needs to be reconsidered or at the very least, tweaked.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am glad that others have noticed the trend with piss poor respect shown by the kiwi members of the crowd, and yeah I will point the finger at them 100%.

They are the sole reason I do not attend games against the Warriors. It is not worth going to the game if its going to be ruined. I watched the game in the comfort of the RSL with a few bagpipe players around me and thought that beats the atmosphere of the games played recently
Monsoon
Monsoon

Some interesting stats

- We made 7 errors vs the Warriors, all were commited by the Big 3

- Proctor made a career high 43 tackles for 1 miss

- Mahe Fonua missed 6 tackles

- Garbutt made more metres in 6 carries then Hinchcliffe & Norrie did combined all game
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Saved the game because I couldn't watch it live so watched without the emotion as I knew the score & agree with most of what has been said except, while he made a lot of errors I thought that was the liveliest I've seen Billy play so far this year. He seems to be preoccupied in our first games and the slow start from him has hurt but theres been improvement in each game....hope it continues because they need him to be firing.

The Warriors got up and defended well but that was as much to do with the predictability of Storm's attack as it was anything else. For 20 mins in the second half we attacked their line, got repeat sets etc but only once (at the beginning of the half) did any of our moves go out the left (resulting in a try). What side couldn't predict where to be in the defensive line? And how many go's do you have before you realize you need to mix it up? Too rigid imo.

Jesse was huge & Mitch needs to get much more minutes - think he should be starting during the Origin period at least! Kenny has fire in his gut which is sadly lacking in other forwards. Tohu has been flat but has upped his game in the last two & can create if used that way.

Overall, much improvement in defense but our defense for the Warriors last try was horrendous because the defensive line lost it's structure...some players were sucked into coming out of the line in the middle the whole defensive structure went to hell...Johnson made a meal of it.

Some of Cronk's kicks didn't work with the bounce going the wrong way - at AAMI Park not sure that should be an issue that many times?
Couldn't understand the short kick-off from the 20 at all. Didn't see many kicks to the left but the ones to the right were so predictable like I said above. Yes, we score sometimes in games from those but the Warriors were ready & shut it down.

They're coming right but our attack is abysmal imo - out of fresh ideas? Whose fault is that? We won't win many if that isn't sorted.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

At the end of the day we only scored 10 points on our home turf against the worst defence in league. This is a real concern.

We also missed some basic one on one tackles which lead to tries. For example Hoffan missed 3 tackles in one play for the match winning try for the Warriors! That is school-boy! I'd drop him to the bench next week as I believe Harris is a better option these days.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. We looked our best towards the end of the first half when we threw a few offloads and at the start of the second half. At the start of the second half Garbutt and Kenny Bromwich made some good runs. One positive is I thought that was Kenny's best game.

George Rose also went well in his limited time 5 runs for 52 metres so an average of just over 10 metres per run. Rose and Garbutt need more game time and Norrie should be playing for Cronulla.

Our attack looks very disjointed. I said to my wife at one stage about the only time we look like scoring this year is Cronk passing to Proctor and Cronk's chip kick over the top to Sisa. Unfortunately the chip kick to Sisa last night had a bad bounce. You wouldn't think our main three play makers had over 700 games experience because they seemed to panic at times last night. Some of our last play options were poor.

The defense for their last try was deplorable. Johnson and co didn't even do anything special. I would have more problems getting into the turnstiles at the supermarket then we gave them on that try.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We also had enough possession in good areas in the second half to win the game. We just couldnt capitalise. That's why I'm hoping Benji gets signed on a cheap short term deal.
Last edited by routy21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Even including last nights game, we're still scoring on average 20+ points a game. While the attack is somewhat predictable and slowish, we've still scored enough points to win games. Warriors just defended their asses off last night. Credit where credits due. We looked dangerous going down the left edge and extremely dangerous when the forwards were creating offloads. Keep doing both of those things and we'll score more points and be less predictable.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with everything said here so I'm not gonna repeat any of that what I will say and saying it to try and convince myself more then anything is

Premierships are not won in April

See what happens with that lol
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with you Sallymay but you have to win games in April, to get the points to be in the top 4. You can win on the first weekend in October without being in the top 4.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One thing I will say in defence of something Chip pointed out. The kicks to the left were done because of the wind which did change slightly at halftime. Other than that, Bellamy needs to read this topic!
Kya
Squall
Squall

Thanks for pointing out the wind factor matt. Cronk kicked right in front of me and it went straight to Tomkins and I just remember thinking that there was no way that was where he meant it to kick it but it just completely diverted off as it went up.

Some of Cronk's kicking was off but in saying that some of his kicking was just a bad bounce and apparently our players are allowed to be taken out of the play when they chase because they sure as hell aren't allowed to compete.

Clearly Smith is still injured as he doesn't seem to be kicking the ball in general play nearly as often as he usually does or as effectively.

I think that part of the issues with our attack last night could also be accounted for with the loss of Justin o'neill on the left that left us a bit aimless on that side.

And despite Bellamy saying we had no other injuries, Waqa pulled up in that first chip kick from Cronk, he had no drive or run and was cautious with everything he did for the rest of the night.

I think our biggest problem is attitude in defence and where were players supporting Slater or Cronk in attack. Instead they just slowly run back, they stand flat footed and there are no 2nd or 3rd efforts. I think there was some of that for 10 to 15 minutes in the 2nd half but that was it.

This is not the Storm side we are used to seeing and I think that is why supporters are more annoyed and dissatisfied. We can cop being beaten by a better side but not when you know you have the players and ability to beat some of these sides we have lost too.
Molly
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Kya wrote:I completely agree with you about all the kiwi dickheads that ruin the game. How hard is it to shut up for one minute? And I say that with a kiwi dad who can stand there and respect both anthems but you have all these dickhead one match warriors fan who start the chant during the end of the last post every year!

Hard to watch the storm at moment, not playing well and too many passengers. Deserved to be beaten but saying that, if I were Melbourne Storm I would petition NRL to never allow Ashley Klein referee us again.
Every time, every single time he screws us over. All I want is consistency. Blows us for offside than later turns around and talks to a kiwi player standing 2 metres in front of him as we play the ball.
Billy Slater gets his head taken off and a warrior players put on a crusher tackle that (dayne weston was suspended for and penalised for 2 weeks ago) and nothing.
And the strip penaltys........

Poor broncos got screwed by the same penalty in their game tonight, why can't a video ref overrule and tell the onfield that it is a dropped ball??

Love the Storm but am becoming more disillusioned with the state of the game.

Why don't they just kick out all non sydney teams and we can have another super league because they sure as he'll don't want any of us competing!

Agree with this...Klein has repeatedly screwed us time and time again. The strip penalty that led to the first try was ridiculous and the offside penalties vs the amount of times he talks to the opposition as well as the inconsistent 10meters.. Don't get me wrong, the better side won it is frustrating though watching these referee buffoons dictate momentum in a game.

Now, having said that I don't agree with the Hampton love...I thought he was overawed and made planet of poor calls through the game. He needs more time. Slater could be a 5/8 option. I liked his game in general, but the mistakes are costly, the loose ball following the line break was devastating to us, he goes up for a ball he doesn't need to...I don't know, he is out of sorts however last night was a better game from him even with the errors.

Thank God for Mr and Mrs Bromwich, those boys are guns. I liked the game of Garbutt and George Rose gets meters.

I think Cooper is out of form and shouldn't be in Qld contention this year, in fact, I think Cameron is the only origin player we will have this year. We need some energy in attack.....not sure who is coming through, but this is the year to get them game time.

GO STORM.