Benji Marshall seeks return to NRL

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cronulla, St George Illawarra, Parramatta, Melbourne and Brisbane are among the NRL clubs most likely to interested in a star playmaker of Marshall's calibre and experience.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... z2zVFdeo9s
How would people feel about that? Especially those who have been baying for blood in the last few weeks. Personally I think Roberts has look alright in his limited game time and obviously Walker hasn't had a crack at all, but if any coach is able to get consistent performances out of Marshall it would be Bellamy. Could be Brett Finch 2.0 and you would have to think he would be pretty cheap given that he was unwanted in the NRL and now in Super Rugby too.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I say blood our young guys first and give them a crack. I would hate for us to get a code switcher (on the cheap of course) and brush off our young guys that have great wraps and are further away from their used by date
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Benji has never laid a tackle in his life.
Do not want.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:I say blood our young guys first and give them a crack. I would hate for us to get a code switcher (on the cheap of course) and brush off our young guys that have great wraps and are further away from their used by date
Exactly, as good as Finch was for us, we could potentially have had Maloney long term if Finch hadn't taken his place and he's definitely one that got away. I'd hate to see that again for the sake of an inconsistent Marshall.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just play Cody Walker already. We don't need Benji.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure about this one but I wouldn't want him long term. For the rest of the season, why not.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maloney was pretty ordinary in the few games he played for us.

Scooter wrote:Just play Cody Walker already. We don't need Benji.
/end thread
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah but if Maloney stays then where does Widdop end up?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fullback. And instead of letting GI go, we let Billy go.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just saying that Maloney had the potential to be a long term 5/8, not necessarily saying anything else. Certainly Widdop and Finch delivered for us. Widdop could well have played wing or centre though.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've never seen this Cody Walker guy play but seems a few people here rate him.
I think the game has changed or is changing quickly and it's a lot faster. We just may need a player like Benji in the halves to offer that sort of play similar to Ben Roberts.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'd sign Benji in a heart beat... (1 year cheap contract)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm starting to think he's coming. I know he's said he wants to return to Sydney but he may not have that option available to him.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6892425434 - Our Club had the only positive response. "STORM — Five-eighth: Ben Hampton/Ben Roberts, Halfback: Cooper Cronk, Football director Frank Ponissi: “Benji would be a great addition but there is one problem — $$.”

I'm thinking Bulldogs, Sharks or us.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Herald Sun says we won't be going for him
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Not that i have a single clue about how much space we'd have in the salary cap (pretty certain we always have a bit left over....well, since..you know..) but i can't imagine having enough to fit Benji in......especially if he has to be paid whatever the auditors think his market value is.....which is a BS rule, and i believe a restraint of trade...but that's another story.

I think he'd look good in purple....and he might provide the rocket the boys need - although didn't he say he'd never play against the Tigers?? That could work in our favour...everyone hates us already - Benji could feel at home instantly :) But yeah...I don't see him playing outside of Sydney tbh.