Benji Marshall seeks return to NRL

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

One report I read he would only get 60,00 to 100,00 for the rest of the year. The NRL would agree to that because it just for the rest of the season, but going forward he would have to get market value. I also heard he wants a deal for the rest of this year plus two more, so he would want he contact back ended big time.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the big plus if we could land him would be he could take over the goal kicking from cam
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

His gonna follow beau
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I reckon you're spot on sal... as usual :)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Aw was kinda looking forward to Benji playing for us but oh well if he wants to play for the Wooden Spoon Sharkies, go for it.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only thing Benji would bring to our team would be the name Benji Marshall. Even with poor production from our 5/8th position, we're still fairly decent in attack. It's defence where we've had troubles and Benji doesn't exactly help that, in fact, he probably makes us worse.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-23/s ... ll/5405262

I reckon we still have a hope of getting him, but it would have to only be for the remainder of the year on a bargain basement deal. Just wonder how he would work with a domineering Cooper Cronk in the halves, however Bellyache could sort something out there.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I very much doubt we will see him in purple. He will want to be in Sydney so he can pick up his regular Footy Show gig.

And whilst we do need to play more ad-lib football, Benji is at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Cronk. Any time someone in our team looks to play some ad-lib or crab across field looking for a gap, the rest of the team look like they have no idea what to do. No ad-hoc line running or unders plays. Structure is priority and drilled into them. That is not necessarily a bad thing, it just limits the effectiveness of the Storm playing off the cuff.

If the game continues to be played at such a quick speed and with such a fast ruck, we will need to be flexible with the amount of structure we employ and look to play more of what is in front of us.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I do not think you will see Marshall in purple either. But I think he might enjoy not being the number one focus in the halves. He played his best football when Scott Prince was along side him calling all the shots. A lot of "media experts" always said he was thinking to much about what he needed to do and the fans wanted him to do something magical all the time. Brett Finch enjoyed not beinb the main controller on the field and just had fun playing football, maybe that is all Marshall needs too.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

bula wrote:Not sure about this one but I wouldn't want him long term. For the rest of the season, why not.
Because our problem at the moment is defence.
If we were struggling in attack, I guess there might be some logic to it - although I think Cody Walker would be a much better bet and a good long term solution.
But our issue is defence, and Marshall's last year and a half in the NRL proved him to be the worst defensive half/five-eighth in the competition; bar none.

I wouldn't want him if he came free and bought a slab of Crownies.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote:
bula wrote:Not sure about this one but I wouldn't want him long term. For the rest of the season, why not.
Because our problem at the moment is defence.
If we were struggling in attack, I guess there might be some logic to it - although I think Cody Walker would be a much better bet and a good long term solution.
But our issue is defence, and Marshall's last year and a half in the NRL proved him to be the worst defensive half/five-eighth in the competition; bar none.

I wouldn't want him if he came free and bought a slab of Crownies.

Forget Cody, he is on his way to Souths next year. Lets not develop him for them. We won't get benji but I think he would be good for us for the rest of the year. If he was smart he would come here. But I think he will go and play for bottom of the table sharks.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just read a story in the SMH, (sorry do not know how to do links), that has the Sharks and Storm as favorites to sign Benji. I now what Craig said today and the media never tells the truth, but strange things do happen.
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

According to "the mole" on twitter Benji is flying down to Melbourne tomorrow to hold talks with the Storm.

and yes, I'm aware that the mole often gets it wrong. But where there's smoke there's fire.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And where there's an attention seeker with a twitter account there's a twit! I suppose on the law of averages, he will get one right eventually, but, I'm not holding my breath waiting.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote:And where there's an attention seeker with a twitter account there's a twit! I suppose on the law of averages, he will get one right eventually, but, I'm not holding my breath waiting.
I'll give the Mole credit for one thing, he has a bloody good strike rate with 1st try scorer calls. I wish I put money on his tips, I'm sure I'd be well ahead.