Round 6 - Storm vs Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Player ratings (forwards):
Jesse Bromwich: Sensational, awesome, amazing etc. Our standout player this year. A metre eating forward who supplied 4 offloads and backed up a kick for a try 10
Cameron Smith: General of our attack and a tackling machine. His goalkicking will cost us one day. Should not have missed conversion before half time 8.5
Bryan Norrie: Virtually no impact. Not even in our best 17 anymore should be replaced at 10 by Mitch and on bench by big George (even if he is not most popular player at the moment) 4
Kevin Proctor: Made a number of good runs and has a good combo with Cronk. His disallowed try was clearly not forward and was purely poetry in motion. 8
Ryan Hoffman: Had a solid start (first fifteen) but his two handling errors and penalties were bad. His dropped ball ten metres out five minutes from half time was a huge turning point. If we score there we lead by 10 or 12 instead they score and level things up. Threw pass for Young's try. 5
Ryan Hinchcliffe: Tackles everything that moves. Unfortunately not offering much in attack. 6
Kenny Bromwich: Made a couple of good runs, tapped ball back to Waqa before last try. Other than that was pretty quiet. 6
Tohu Harris: Was relatively quiet. 5.5
Mitch Garbutt: Made a number of big runs, made one bad handling error. Cemented spot in team and pushing for starting spot. 7.5
Tim Glasby: Only had 16 minutes on field, made only 2 runs and 11 tackles. Will likely be replaced by Weston (we need an extra prop on bench) 3
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How's the fallout in the media and general public !

They can all go and get %$&$#%%^

Storm had NO chance of golden point time and a chance to win the game v Titans due to a Ref blunder....

so...IF last night was a ref blunder....BIG DEAL.....you win some..you lose some on the basis of the Refs....that's football.

Kevvie Proctor should have had a try (it wasn't forward...no one can convince me it was)...AND St Merge shouldn't have had the Merrin try as Dugan was a step offside (clearly).

It's Swings & merry go rounds.....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chambers has been charged with shoulder charge and will miss 2 weeks if he pleads guilty or 3 weeks if he fights it and loses. I'd be taking the early plea.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:Chambers has been charged with shoulder charge and will miss 2 weeks if he pleads guilty or 3 weeks if he fights it and loses. I'd be taking the early plea.
that's crap....he was basically protecting himself from being split up the middle.

NRL....Not Really League.... ::)
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The NRL can get lima lima lima duck over that Chambers charge. Utter lima lima lima duck morons.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dally M Points - Storm v Dragons

Judge: Greg Alexander

3 C Cronk (MEL)

2 G Widdop (STG)

1 W Chambers (MEL)

::)

Widdop
6 Runs
44 Metres
1 Offload
17 Tackles
1 Missed Tackle
0 Tackle Breaks
0 Try Assists
0 Line Break Assists
0 Tries

J Bromwich
20 Runs
179 Metres
4 Offloads
30 Tackles
1 Missed Tackle
1 Tackle Break
1 Try
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dugan was better than Widdop. Honestly the dally m is a joke. The experts who vote for it don't give a shit really and just choose the popular names.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Like most of us probably did, I watched the replay of the Tonumaipea try a few times today. Each person played an important role but I think Kenny B was crucial. Chambers did very well to knock the ball back, but Kenny's effort to collect the ball and IMMEDIATELY offload to Waqa was outstanding. If he pauses for a split second or even looks up after collecting the ball, he is tackled and the game is over... brilliant work Kenny!

Waqa's 40m pass to hit Tohu on the chest wasn't a bad effort either ;)
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah, the Sisa pass, and i thought the level head shown by Tohu were both key to that ending the way it did.......Tohu could have just ran at the massive gap that was in front of him (that was my first thought) he obviously summed it up (or maybe got a very loud call from outside him) and redirected the play into an overlap - it was great stuff either way.

RE: Dally M - I'd agree that Dugan was better, though i can see why Brandy gave it to Gaz...he was full of wraps for him all game...may have blinded him a bit....but he was spot on about how good Gaz was in defence...he was 'jonny on the spot' so many times...undoubtedly reading plenty of plays with ease.

Also, I've been meaning to stick up for the commentators for a while now - I have nfi why so many people think they are biased and anti-storm....i really see zero evidence of this at any stage - every single commentator says dumb shit from time to time (read: almost every game)......but none are inherently anti-storm...as far as i can tell anyway. Could do worse than what we have anyway.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I must say that I was surprised that brandy custard said some good things about Storm last night but other weeks he has been a complete tosser where Storm are concerned.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ray Hadley... After all he has said about our club I'm not sure how anyone can expect him not to be biased when calling a Storm game. Luckily we rarely get him.

Brandy has his moments. As does Warren Ryan.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree, the first Fox commentator I thought of that is usually quite clearly biased against us was Alexander. As for CH9/radio commentators, Ray Hadley takes the cake.

Also, I can't believe (well, I can actually) that all of the press today has been about how the Dragons were robbed, and the Dragons CEO is even demanding that they be awarded the 2 points from the NRL! Are they f-ing serious?!? They shouldn't have been ahead by 2 at that point anyway with their blatant offside try and our "forward pass" no-try that should've been a try!

They're complaining that the refs got a live call apparently half a second wrong (only evident when viewed frame by frame) and that it will cost the Dragons hundreds of thousands of dollars if/when they miss the finals by 2 competition points - wow, that's confidence in your team! Talk about drama queens!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Me and some other Storm fans copped it from a Bunnies fan yesterday. Saying the Dragons were robbed and that we blew up about Titans decision and said nothing about that.

I said it wasn't as clear cut as the Titans dropped ball. You can see on TV siren went a split second before the ball. However the microphones would be close to the siren and by the time the sound travelled the extra 60 metres to the referee the play the ball would have started.

It is also different to the Titans call because they effectively gave the Titans a kick to win the game and we had no say in the matter. Whereas the Dragons still had a say in the match, they only had to lay a tackle or knock the kick out or dead to win.

That's without even mentioning the Dugan offside and KP no try. Steve Clark used to kill us with the whistle and now he is doing it as video ref. How that was inconclusive when there is a line on the ground I will never know. The 40 metre line clearly shows Dugan was offside. Even Fox Sports and Triple M commentators thought so.

I heard Finey talking to Frank Ponnissi on SEN after the game and Finey said in relation to the Dugan call either the video ref is a cheat or completely incompetent. Obviously Frank played it with a straight bat.

Another thing when Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper were ref's boss they used to release their assessment of 5 or 6 controversial decisions each week. That doesn't seem to happen now except for this isolated siren incident.

Rant over.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Souffs fans don't know the rules. Ignore them.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It's kind of funny that there have been so many tears over the final try/siren/whistle - my favorite part is that not only can you point at any number of reasons why the dragons should have lost. .... but my favorite one is the little Princess that ran out to take the 20m tap - then spent 10 odd seconds pretending to stretch out a cramp. .. while still holding the ball! I get the idea of wasting time - but this one was weak as piss, justice served after the siren afaic - not to mention they played negatively for the final 20 and didn't deserve to win by the time there was 2 points in it anyway.