Duffie gone for the season..again - Ruptured ACL

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

MELBOURNE Storm winger Matt Duffie’s shocking bad luck has continued with the 23-year-old suffering another season-ending knee injury.

Matt Duffie injured his ACL at training.
Matt Duffie injured his ACL at training. Source: News Limited
Duffie has again ruptured his ACL and will go under the knife for the second time in two years.

He went down at Storm training on Wednesday with scans confirming the worst on Thursday afternoon.

The New Zealander had been on the comeback trail after undergoing both shoulder and knee operations last season.

He played in the club’s trial loss to Canberra earlier this month as well as last weekend’s Auckland Nines.

It is the same knee that was operated on last season.

Duffie also missed the 2012 premiership after hurting his shoulder on the eve of the finals series.
Terribly sad news. Wish him the best in his recovery.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

He's off contract at the end of this season, correct? Guess we've seen him in a Storm jumper for the last time.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lima lima lima duck the 9s
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sally - What are you talking about? He was ruptured his ACL at training, not during the Auckland Nines.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Holy sh*t... Cannot catch a break. I was really hoping he would bounce back this year and based on Bellamy's comments, so was he. So brittle...
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Poor kid. One of our most athletic but injury prone player. Really looked good in the trial.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

As much as I feel for Duffie personally I don't think he is a big loss, Fonua is a better prospect since he can make more then 3 metres per hit up.

Hopefully he can recover and come back so like I said I feel for him on a personal level but I think it won't impact our team much at all.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:He's off contract at the end of this season, correct? Guess we've seen him in a Storm jumper for the last time.
Wouldn't shocked me to see us extend him for another year but it's basically just lighting money on fire atm. Extending a few others is more of a priority.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:He's off contract at the end of this season, correct? Guess we've seen him in a Storm jumper for the last time.
Terrible news for Duffie can't take a trick with his knees and shoulders. Inglis#3 we may re-sign Duffie on a lower contract. Last time we signed him Parramatta was throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him. Can't see him being able to ask for that much money this time around.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Very sad news. He must be devastated. Good luck with your recovery Matt.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm actually so angry about this...storm SOLD a very fit Somi Aavaa and kept Matt Duffie egghhhh so annoying....it may not have happened at the nines but it didn't help him did it grrrrr
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Playing at the nines had nothing to do with this injury. The ACL can tear from doing the simplest of things. It might have happened after round one or after round 22 or when walking up stairs or not at all. It is just really bad luck.
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What's there to be angry about? Duffie was re-signed long before Auva'a was close to being considered for first grade, it's not like it was a choice between the two to keep one and let the other go. And as Glenn said, the nines would have had absolutely nothing to do with a ruptered ACL. I think there was a player who tore theirs by slipping in the bathroom. This isn't an injury that you could even attribute to his lack of bulk. It is a very, very, unlucky injury for anyone, let alone Matt who's just seen months of hard work go to waste.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sad news for Duff. Our best finisher & aerialist. Has scored some great tries for us. I hope he stays and comes back next year.
supercronk
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Unfortunately his defence was walways shakey at best